Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859606162 LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I have a question. There have been instances when Doom resisted telepathy/mind control like in Emperor Doom, Secret Invasion: DR and recently Cantwell's Doctor Doom series where Kang shot him with his gun. Are these all about his willpower or does his armor play a part in it? Purple Man and Kang instances are shown to be about his will only but what about the case with Emma Frost? If it is so does that mean anyone in marvel with sufficiently strong will can resist telepathy no matter the strength of the telepath?
    I believe this is solely Victor's willpower that lets him resist telepaths, Namor also has a very strong will and can resist a fair amount, but Doom really proves it's his willpower against the full power of the Purple Man so I don't think he relies on his armor to protect him that way like Magneto's helmet does for him against Xavier.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

A question for everyone because I want to see what is the most popular choice:

What is your all time favorite Doom look? The classic armor + green tunic? The god emperor look? Doom 2099? Hell Armor? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

What is your all time favorite Doom look? The classic armor + green tunic? The god emperor look? Doom 2099? Hell Armor? Something else?
    Here's My Top (3) Three Favorites...

1. Classic-Armor: Doom!

2. Promethium-Armor: Doom!!

3. Lion-Wrestler: Doom!!!

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-15-2021 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Wow..that's a tough one. I think the classic look stands the test of time. There's always slight variations that artists add over the decades but it's still basically the same. Sometimes Kirby would draw these huge medallions for the clasps of the cape but artists have gotten more suble about that. I do like it when at times when at times it appears he is wearing something more ceremonial for the outer garments but the armor is remains the same. The most recent example was in the Dark Ages mini where he has a more regal looking garment over the armor. I have to say I still like armors that are just a variation of the same elements, green cloak over gun metal gray armor.

This recent example in Dark Ages #3 is one that I like because IMO this is what one would imagine Doom's more formal dress would be. The armor would still be totally functional but the garment is a bit impractical for combat. This looks more ceremonial to me.

But these are my favorite alternate versions. I really hope that Hell Armor makes a reappearance one day if he has to face Mephisto again

I like both of the designs Pat Broderick did for Doom 2099 which forgoes the use of a cloth tunic.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Here's My Top (3) Three Favorites...

1. Classic-Armor: Doom!

2. Promethium-Armor: Doom!!

3. Lion-Wrestler: Doom!!!

Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Wow..that's a tough one. I think the classic look stands the test of time. There's always slight variations that artists add over the decades but it's still basically the same. Sometimes Kirby would draw these huge medallions for the clasps of the cape but artists have gotten more suble about that. I do like it when at times when at times it appears he is wearing something more ceremonial for the outer garments but the armor is remains the same. The most recent example was in the Dark Ages mini where he has a more regal looking garment over the armor. I have to say I still like armors that are just a variation of the same elements, green cloak over gun metal gray armor.

This recent example in Dark Ages #3 is one that I like because IMO this is what one would imagine Doom's more formal dress would be. The armor would still be totally functional but the garment is a bit impractical for combat. This looks more ceremonial to me.

But these are my favorite alternate versions. I really hope that Hell Armor makes a reappearance one day if he has to face Mephisto again

I like both of the designs Pat Broderick did for Doom 2099 which forgoes the use of a cloth tunic.
    I hope the Hell armor comes back too, we didn't get enough time with it! I feel it should be his default armor when he goes into hell. I loved that look in Dark Ages!!!!

I'd like to see Doom tangle with Mephisto again with that armor. The Dark Ages one has some nice touches like the gold detailing. It's great that colorists can use true gold tones unlike the old days when all they had was yellow for the option due to limitations in the print process in those days. I forget what era began the improved printing process....1990's maybe?

Either the classic look or Doom 2099 with blue cape. Dark Ages also has a pretty sweet Doom design but I need to see it in action.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Those are all excellent choices.

I would love to see a Santa Doom figure though. And any Doom 2099.

And slouching Doom in evil villain lair a la Bob Layton would be awesome too.
    Doom By Bob Layton.jpg

It's so cheesy but I love the incongruity of the 1970's bubble chair and the machinery and sorcery artifacts.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I believe this is solely Victor's willpower that lets him resist telepaths, Namor also has a very strong will and can resist a fair amount, but Doom really proves it's his willpower against the full power of the Purple Man so I don't think he relies on his armor to protect him that way like Magneto's helmet does for him against Xavier.
    As much as I love Doom, I find this explanation the least interesting, not to mention believable. It like a "just because" kind of answer. I can believe Doom's willpower can be stronger than the willpower of someone like the Purple Man, but are we really meant to believe Doom can just resist someone like Xavier or Frost because he's a badass and don't take no guff from telepaths?

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Those are all excellent choices.

I would love to see a Santa Doom figure though. And any Doom 2099.

And slouching Doom in evil villain lair a la Bob Layton would be awesome too.
    Doom By Bob Layton.jpg

It's so cheesy but I love the incongruity of the 1970's bubble chair and the machinery and sorcery artifacts.
    In agreement with everything you've mentioned. A throne-room set for Doom would also be nice, though.

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-17-2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Just for laughs, I want to see a Doom-in-Rocket-Raccoon's-body collectible figure, complete with a miniature version of his classic costume, and the best intimidating face he could make.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    As much as I love Doom, I find this explanation the least interesting, not to mention believable. It like a "just because" kind of answer. I can believe Doom's willpower can be stronger than the willpower of someone like the Purple Man, but are we really meant to believe Doom can just resist someone like Xavier or Frost because he's a badass and don't take no guff from telepaths?
    I personally don't mind it, because it's just another thing that makes Doom, Doom, but I usually suspect Doom never reveals how he does things, so he could be using magic or something and just lets people think he is invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Why not? He's had a history of resisting hypnosis and telepathic probes. I think it may have been a natural trait but one that he also honed over the years perhaps starting with the assistance of the mysterious sect that he studied with in Tibet. His mind is disciplined enough to withstand extreme pain also, as when the Beyonder was dissecting him.

I personally don't mind it, because it's just another thing that makes Doom, Doom, but I usually suspect Doom never reveals how he does things, so he could be using magic or something and just lets people think he is invincible.
    Yes, it could be a bit of both. He could have learned a spell of some sort to help shield his mind from outside probes, etc.

I love that encounter, but it isn't evidence of anything, nor is his history of resisting telepaths. We know he can do it, but it's never revealed how. It's not as if either answer would bother me or anything, but I just find Doom unlikely to leave the chance of telepathic attacks down to just his willpower vs the power of someone like Xavier, Frost or your choice of Marvel's eight thousand telepaths.

Maybe he has figured out how to resist/sense telepaths but I wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to boost it using magic or technology to protect his mind from the stronger telepaths.