Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162 LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

My own guess is that it's a combination of factors including the Ovoid mind-transfer technique, which could synergize with his mental and mystical skills.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I love that encounter, but it isn't evidence of anything, nor is his history of resisting telepaths. We know he can do it, but it's never revealed how. It's not as if either answer would bother me or anything, but I just find Doom unlikely to leave the chance of telepathic attacks down to just his willpower vs the power of someone like Xavier, Frost or your choice of Marvel's eight thousand telepaths.
    Willpower, magic (like Magik, who can defend even against Legion's powers), technology (he explicitly used it to shield his mind against the Purple Man's powers) and training (Black Panther has trained his own mind to be impervious to telepaths; Emma Frost failed to read his mind... so Doom probably can do the same).
    Last edited by Habis; 12-19-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Willpower, magic (like Magik, who cand defend even against Legion's powers), technology (he explicitly used it to shield his mind against the Purple Man's powers) and training Black Panther has trained his mind to be impervious to telepaths; Emma Frost failed to read his mind).
    No, he didn't. I posted that page from Emperor Doom last week so here it is again. He deliberately removed his mask and challenged the Purple Man to use his powers on him. He clears the room of all other people and goes inside the containment chamber he built for the Purple Man when he removes the mask. Doom is just that bad ass

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-19-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    My own guess is that it's a combination of factors including the Ovoid mind-transfer technique, which could synergize with his mental and mystical skills.
    Now that's an interesting theory and might explain also how he resists the Purple Man's influence. Perhaps the Ovids' tinkering with Doom's mental skills in order to perform the mind transfer had some other side effects.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-19-2021 at 10:34 AM.

oops...duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    No, he didn't read. I posted that page from Emperor Doom last week so here it is again. He deliberately removed his mask and challenged the Purple Man to use his powers on him. He clears the room of all other people and goes inside the containment chamber he built for the Purple Man when he removes the mask. Doom is just that bad ass

Fifth panel. He mentions having circuitry in his mask that protect his mind against mind control.

Yes, he relied on willpower AFTER removing his mask...

But BEFORE removing his mask, he was protected by technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Fifth panel. He mentions having circuitry in his mask that protect his mind against mind control.

Yes, he relied on willpower AFTER removing his mask...

But BEFORE removing his mask, he was protected by technology.
    Well duh. But the most important part is when he is in that chamber with the Purple Man he's not using the technology of the mask. It says right on panel that he is now totally vulnerable. The mask is extra protection against random attacks or something in the atmosphere such as what Doom does here. He was after all using the Purple Man to spread his powers over the entire planet. If someone else tried a similar scheme, he would already be protected even without knowing the threat is out there.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-19-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Why not? He's had a history of resisting hypnosis and telepathic probes. I think it may have been a natural trait but one that he also honed over the years perhaps starting with the assistance of the mysterious sect that he studied with in Tibet. His mind is disciplined enough to withstand extreme pain also, as when the Beyonder was dissecting him.
    Indeed. That scene from Secret Wars '84 is truly classic (IMHO):

The only telepath I ever really recall overpowering Doom was Overmind. As far as the stuff with Doom resisting TP without his armor? I got no probs with that. He was runner up to Sorcerer Supreme which we all know (and Dr Strange at one point time would have told you!), practice of the mystical arts is a much a mental discipline as anything else, which of course, Doom has in spades. He also mastered the Ovoid mind meld, something he learned from the Ovoids who were (are?) million of years ahead of earth in scientific understanding.

To summarize: Doctor Doom is the greatest supervillain in the history of supervillains.

That is all.

"Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    The only telepath I ever really recall overpowering Doom was Overmind. As far as the stuff with Doom resisting TP without his armor? I got no probs with that. He was runner up to Sorcerer Supreme which we all know (and Dr Strange at one point time would have told you!), practice of the mystical arts is a much a mental discipline as anything else, which of course, Doom has in spades. He also mastered the Ovoid mind meld, something he learned from the Ovoids who were (are?) million of years ahead of earth in scientific understanding.

To summarize: Doctor Doom is the greatest supervillain in the history of supervillains.

That is all.

Couldn't agree with you more! Hopefully, there will be more to come in the new year (XD)

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

This turned up in my recommended videos and I just love the details in Doom's armor. I'll get screencaps later but apparently the fanart ImperiusWrecked posted earlier was based on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Here is another Doctor Doom fan art the artist did! https://twitter.com/optyck/status/1460320078851883015

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post

That is all.

On that I think we can agree.

I took the time out to read the first appearance of the Overmind in the FF and it seems to me the level of his power is all over the place. First of all, for a being who has the accumulated power of a billion billion minds, the scope of the power seems pretty limited in this story. He is able to effect a few blocks around his point of landing and that's about it. He does succeed in turning Reed into a mind slave but Reed is able to put some brief moments of resistance. Ben and Johnny are nearby most of the time during the battle but don't seem to be affected at the same time Reed is. One would think with that kind of power he would have the entire planet under his thrall let alone those that are within a few yards of the Overmind. I would like to to note that though the arc was started by Stan Lee, it was finished up by Archie Goodwin at this point. In the meantime, Sue has gone to Doom and persuaded him to join the battle against the Overmind. He tells Sue they must go to Reed's lab where he gets a device called the Psionic Refractor, something Reed was working on but apparently Doom completes it's construction in record time since they join the battle still in progress.

I have to say that the Overmind's powers are used very inconsistently here. He can either effect a small group of the city's population or sometimes he just directs his power one of the Fantastic Four at the time while Doom snipe as him with the Psionic Refractor. And his power sometimes seems to be like a bludgeon or he takes over control of the mind of his targets. Overmind is able to destroy the Psionic Refractor but Doom is only briefly knocked out. At no point do we see him under the control of the Overmind. Neither do we see this with Ben, Sue or Johnny who also recover quickly. For some reason the Overmind uses brute force at times and doesn't deploy this power of a billion billion minds in this battle. So my call is that Doom and the others were overpowered by the concussive power of the the Overmind's attack but they didn't become mind controlled.

A reminder for when you go to your local comic shop tomorrow:

Well another Christmas had come and gone and Santa Doom will have a year's rest. In the meantime, here's a little holiday treat. This image was posted in the Cover Contest thread over on the Community board. I remembered that artist Dave Cockrum put a little Easter Egg in the slash page for X-men #93

But did you know that Alex Ross made a homage to this scene in Marvels Epilogue #1? I know I didn't until it was pointed out to me by Ravin' Ray in this post on the Community Board

Alex Ross added full color to his version of the scene as you can see in this isolate screen grab I made while reading the digital version of Marvels Epilogue. The colorist for X-Men #93 took some shortcuts and just gave all the skaters a yellowish-gold tone

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-27-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Lol Doom's ice skating? Lord of Latveria knows how to have fun.