Page 365 of 536 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375415465 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,475 of 8026
  1. #5461
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Kayge View Post
    The only person she was actively trying to hurt was Agatha and that was mostly in self-defense. When she ejected Monica from the hex, she put a protective shield around her, I noticed it the 2nd time. Perhaps in gratitude for helping birth her kids.
    Indeed I think it shows even when she was lost with her mind in the Hex Wanda was still in maybe even a subconscious level be the hero the Avengers taught her to be and she personally had those kind and caring traits anyhow so it was material points of her coming to the surface not to harm when it seemed harm might come to someone even a mostly known stranger in her hex life.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  2. #5462
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed I think it shows even when she was lost with her mind in the Hex Wanda was still in maybe even a subconscious level be the hero the Avengers taught her to be and she personally had those kind and caring traits anyhow so it was material points of her coming to the surface not to harm when it seemed harm might come to someone even a mostly known stranger in her hex life.
    Perhaps the "He's all I have" line addressed this, but I still think the loss of 2 of her "pseudo-family" members-Natasha and Steve, should have been addressed more.

  3. #5463
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Kayge View Post
    Also, when she went to S.W.O.R.D, she could have used mind control to influence Heyward and chose not to.
    Honestly she have clear egging on going on to her to rage out by seeing your lover being dissected like a person in a Saw Movie and their civil rights being ignored to boot and Yet she did not do any rage, she was honoring to her personal code of keeping others safe and not turning into a bad guy again, that takes allot of Iron Willing Willpower to overcome and have in that situation and it so Wanda at one of her best moments in the Show!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  4. #5464
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Kayge View Post
    Perhaps the "He's all I have" line addressed this, but I still think the loss of 2 of her "pseudo-family" members-Natasha and Steve, should have been addressed more.
    Indeed they should have been, it would only have taken 1-2 sentences and gone a long way in World and Character building for her, this is a shared world and that should have indeed been included her other loses.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS!
    I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC!
    Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE!
    Let The CALL Go Forth --
    AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!"


    Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2021!

  5. #5465
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-visi...or-roy-thomas/

    Roy Thomas talks about the origin of Wanda and Vision's romance.
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Dιise"

  6. #5466
    Astonishing Member Witchfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Vision Co-Creator Describes Scarlet Witch Romance as One of 'Convenience'
    https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-visi...or-roy-thomas/

  7. #5467
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Eh, I think mental illness can definitely be portrayed in accurate ways in fiction. Particularly in literature. I just read Sylvia Plath's famous novel, the Bell Jar, and I thought her description of Esther Greenwood's deteriorating mental health was fascinating. Novels, even short ones like the Bell Jar, can really take deep dives into these complicated and difficult subjects. What started out as dissatisfaction at her dream internship at a New York magazine eventually led to an almost emotional paralysis where she couldn't read, write, eat and sleep properly. After that the suicide attempts started. I even gained an insight into how the U.S. treated people with mental illness back in the 50s (insulin injections and electric shock therapy). I was happy that Esther managed to get a satisfactory ending at the end of the Bell Jar, but Plath and her son unfortunately did not in real life. It certainly helps stories about mental health if the writers/authors went through mental illnesses themselves in my opinion. I agree with Wiccan. It's weird tackling subjects like mental illness in the superhero genre. At least to me it is. I give the writers and producers of WandaVision props for trying though.

    Thinking back on it, I would have just dropped the whole Quicksilver shock reveal altogether. I like EP's performance and it definitely gained WandaVision a lot more viewers and interest. And I thought the dick joke was pretty funny and clever, but folks in this thread know I'm really into that kind of thing. I just felt the whole Pietro appearance didn't add much to the series. I'm not even sure Wanda came to terms with HIS death at the end of the show either. It didn't need to happen. And I would have drastically reduced SWORD's involvement as well. I think way more time was needed to show WHY Agatha wanted to get Wanda's powers and more time was needed to show Wanda was learning from Agatha as well. I mean, the series did a great job of Wanda using the runes to turn the tables on Agatha in the finale and establishing the rule that magic users could prevent other magic users from using magic within those "rune walls". My only problem with that is that Agatha has been in the witch business since the seventeenth century. And she gets defeated by a magical amateur in a span of a few days?!! I would have been happier if the show devoted more time to Agatha sort of "teaching" Wanda while at the same time showing how jealous she was of her powers. And I think the series would have benefited a lot more if more time was given to Wanda and Vision reconciling as opposed to them making up SO quickly in Episode 9. I will say that I enjoyed WandaVision more than Falcon and the Winter Soldier though for one simple reason. Wanda and Vision were not overshadowed by other characters in their own show. I think Sam and Bucky were upstaged by U.S. Agent, Zemo and the Flag Smashers. And I thought the whole boat sub-plot was just as boring as when Clint invited the Avengers to his farm (where he spends NINTY PERCENT of his time in the movies).
    Last edited by Albert1981; 06-07-2021 at 10:30 AM.

  8. #5468
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Kayge View Post
    Perhaps the "He's all I have" line addressed this, but I still think the loss of 2 of her "pseudo-family" members-Natasha and Steve, should have been addressed more.
    Did she ever even talk to Natasha outside of battle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Vision Co-Creator Describes Scarlet Witch Romance as One of 'Convenience'
    https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-visi...or-roy-thomas/
    Interesting. Being based on the original Vision explains why he doesn't actually look like a robot, at least not next to someone like Iron Man.

    I guess it makes sense with these two being the only available single members at that time
    Last edited by Mik; 06-07-2021 at 10:31 AM.

  9. #5469
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    69,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Did she ever even talk to Natasha outside of battle?
    Probably off-screen.

  10. #5470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Eh, I think mental illness can definitely be portrayed in accurate ways in fiction. Particularly in literature. I just read Sylvia Plath's famous novel, the Bell Jar, and I thought her description of Esther Greenwood's deteriorating mental health was fascinating. Novels, even short ones like the Bell Jar, can really take deep dives into these complicated and difficult subjects. What started out as dissatisfaction at her dream internship at a New York magazine eventually led to an almost emotional paralysis where she couldn't read, write, eat and sleep properly. After that the suicide attempts started. I even gained an insight into how the U.S. treated people with mental illness back in the 50s (insulin injections and electric shock therapy). I was happy that Esther managed to get a satisfactory ending at the end of the Bell Jar, but Plath and her son unfortunately did not in real life. It certainly helps stories about mental health if the writers/authors went through mental illnesses themselves in my opinion. I agree with Wiccan. It's weird tackling subjects like mental illness in the superhero genre. At least to me it is. I give the writers and producers of WandaVision props for trying though.

    Thinking back on it, I would have just dropped the whole Quicksilver shock reveal altogether. I like EP's performance and it definitely gained WandaVision a lot more viewers and interest. And I thought the dick joke was pretty funny and clever, but folks in this thread know I'm really into that kind of thing. I just felt the whole Pietro appearance didn't add much to the series. I'm not even sure Wanda came to terms with HIS death at the end of the show either. It didn't need to happen. And I would have drastically reduced SWORD's involvement as well. I think way more time was needed to show WHY Agatha wanted to get Wanda's powers and more time was needed to show Wanda was learning from Agatha as well. I mean, the series did a great job of Wanda using the runes to turn the tables on Agatha in the finale and establishing the rule that magic users could prevent other magic users from using magic within those "rune walls". My only problem with that is that Agatha has been in the witch business since the seventeenth century. And she gets defeated by a magical amateur in a span of a few days?!! I would have been happier if the show devoted more time to Agatha sort of "teaching" Wanda while at the same time showing how jealous she was of her powers. And I think the series would have benefited a lot more if more time was given to Wanda and Vision reconciling as opposed to them making up SO quickly in Episode 9. I will say that I enjoyed WandaVision more than Falcon and the Winter Soldier though for one simple reason. Wanda and Vision were not overshadowed by other characters in their own show. I think Sam and Bucky were upstaged by U.S. Agent, Zemo and the Flag Smashers. And I thought the whole boat sub-plot was just as boring as when Clint invited the Avengers to his farm (where he spends NINTY PERCENT of his time in the movies).
    Even in comics related things, it can be done better. Waid's Daredevil being a good example.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  11. #5471
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Even in comics related things, it can be done better. Waid's Daredevil being a good example.
    Oh, I didn't know the comic books did a good job with it! Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe Waid had some experiences with mental illness? I just think it's asking too much for Marvel Studios to do its own version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. So I try not to be too hard on Disney there. I think portraying WOMEN dealing with mental illness is tricky. Especially if you have men writing those kinds of stories. Oftentimes those women just end up becoming unhinged and hysterical. That's just my opinion though. I think the writers and producers of WandaVision did the best they could. I think the show probably needed 8 hours instead of 6. They left a lot of stuff out.

  12. #5472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh, I didn't know the comic books did a good job with it! Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe Waid had some experiences with mental illness? I just think it's asking too much for Marvel Studios to do its own version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. So I try not to be too hard on Disney there. I think portraying WOMEN dealing with mental illness is tricky. Especially if you have men writing those kinds of stories. Oftentimes those women just end up becoming unhinged and hysterical. That's just my opinion though. I think the writers and producers of WandaVision did the best they could. I think the show probably needed 8 hours instead of 6. They left a lot of stuff out.
    No you are right on the trope. It's also relative to the magical girl is sad so it rains trope.

    I'm not sure of Waid's personal story. But he handled it very well in that run and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

  13. #5473
    ᱬ Master Of Chaos ᱬ Cruelrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    Marvel Comics Promises Darkhold By The End Of The Year, Honest
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...e-year-honest/

  14. #5474
    Incredible Member mung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    800

    Default

    If it really is weekly than I'm pretty sure the earliest it can start is October with TPB coming on February

  15. #5475
    Astonishing Member Albert1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No you are right on the trope. It's also relative to the magical girl is sad so it rains trope.

    I'm not sure of Waid's personal story. But he handled it very well in that run and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Well, isn't it nice to agree on something for once! All kidding aside, thanks for the recommendation about Daredevil. I think the Bell Jar remains one of the very few works of fiction which describe how women deal with mental illness in a sympathetic and realistic manner. And that's largely because Plath based Greenwood on her own mental health struggles. It definitely helps to write about something you have first-hand experience dealing with. Maybe Waid did. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I think Schaeffer and her staff did the best they could. As I've said many MANY times before, it's hard to write magical stories. So I cut the writers some slack there.

    It's strange to me that Zatanna (who I consider to be Wanda's counterpart at DC Comics) is really flourishing now and Wanda is not. I just went to her thread over at the DC forum, and I have to say most of her fans there seem really happy with how she's being portrayed in Justice League Dark. Fans of her seem to really like how her stories are actually being taken seriously now. And that's almost entirely because she's paying steep prices for the use of her magic. To me, that makes her so much more interesting than Wanda and/or Strange (currently) unfortunately. It's funny that BOTH DC and Marvel started doing the whole magic has a price thing in the mid-2010s, but DC is executing this concept in such a compelling way while Marvel magic feels so meh. I read an old article about Aaron's work on Doctor Strange online recently, and its writer did complain that Strange is paying a price for using his magic, but his magical colleagues were not:

    https://comiconverse.com/doctor-stra...on-aaron-20943

    I guess that's why I was exasperated when Agatha and Simon "came back" after being killed. Death shouldn't be treated like a common cold, even in superhero fiction (in my view). Agatha and Simon coming back diminishes Wanda's character growth, while Zatara's death being permanent enhances Zatanna's in my opinion. I prefer stakes and consequences in the superhero stories I read.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •