Page 279 of 774 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 11598

Anthony Mackie & Sebastian Stan answer which Disney Dynamic Duo would win in a fight
    Wanda or Vision

Minute 2:35

Sebastian spilling

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    That's pretty much how magic works in most if not all RPGs and their associated novels. Makes both PCs and NPCs more interesting to role-play and read about.
    I agree with your sentiments completely.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I feel it should have limits and preferred Wanda's powers have limits. And they do technically in comics. They use to be limited to line of sight and what was near her person. She couldn't use her powers through a television for instance. Her powers now are limited to normal range for her unless she taps into a power strong enough. Magical artifacts in the universe have a cost for their use. And should only be used by those with the knowledge and discipline or in times were it is important. It's just at times Marvel does not remember these things. Nor do they remember that Wanda is adept at magic.

But limits were always something I preferred. We have had discussions of that here over the years. That they should put limits on Wanda because when her powers are overboard she gets used as a plot device and is no longer seen as a character. Some have suggested her tiara block out possession or control of her. Like how Mags' helm kept him from psionic attacks. It's not a new subject. We just know it goes nowhere.
    Yeah, but I wasn't here to participate in those previous debates. So I want my turn! I think there is absolutely NO excuse for the movies and shows to be inconsistent with the use of their magic. It's not like they've had over 80 years of continuity and dozens of writers working on Loki, Strange and Wanda over the decades. I'm VERY happy with the mystical corner of the MCU so far. I'm glad they're giving it some love. Clearly Feige and his execs at Marvel Studios think it's really important to the MCU's future. To me, I like the premise of MoM. Baron Mordo and his followers believe that the use of magic is BAD, even when it is used for good purposes. I don't think that viewpoint is inherently "evil." I think that's an interesting ethical dimension to a fantasy story which I've never encountered before. And magic being central to the conflict of the plot in MoM makes it even more dynamic than if it was just being used as a means to an end. I do believe that Wanda MIGHT do something in Strange 2 to justify the actions of Mordo and his acolytes.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 04-14-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

Idk if I like this whole thing in the MCU where people questioning abuse of power are the villains. Shouldn't that be the heroes' jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idk if I like this whole thing in the MCU where people questioning abuse of power are the villains. Shouldn't that be the heroes' jobs?
    You're right. The MCU keeps doing that a lot. From Ultron to Zemo. BUT the villains have been SO lame in the MCU thus far, I like the idea of them having more reasonable motivations as opposed to just being "evil."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    You're right. The MCU keeps doing that a lot. From Ultron to Zemo. BUT the villains have been SO lame in the MCU thus far, I like the idea of them having more reasonable motivations as opposed to just being "evil."
    The problem with reasonable motivations to me is the heroes look worse

Is it just me, but don't y'all think it's funny that as much as Feige and his colleagues have been "afraid" of magic in the MCU, that they're probably even MORE scared of crime-fighting street level characters than the magical ones? I can't think of ONE character that Disney has used in that part of the Marvel Universe in its movies and shows. Are they afraid of the violence or the grim subject matter? And no, I don't consider MCU Spider-Man to be a crime fighter dealing with local threats. The MCU has basically been scientific/cosmic thus far (which is really weird because to me the Silver Surfer is Marvel's greatest cosmic character ever and we haven't heard a peep from him yet)!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The problem with reasonable motivations to me is the heroes look worse
    It should make them look worse. But MCU heroes are so charming they can get away with a lot of ****.

Ultimate Member

It should make them look worse. But MCU heroes are so charming they can get away with a lot of ****.
    That's true. But I'd like to see the heroes' motivation be to question the use of power.

An awesome redesign/new costume my brother did of Wanda.

40th Redesigns - Scarlet Witch by JohnnyFive81
    https://www.deviantart.com/johnnyfiv...itch-876368701

Is it just me, but don't y'all think it's funny that as much as Feige and his colleagues have been "afraid" of magic in the MCU, that they're probably even MORE scared of crime-fighting street level characters than the magical ones? I can't think of ONE character that Disney has used in that part of the Marvel Universe in its movies and shows. Are they afraid of the violence or the grim subject matter? And no, I don't consider MCU Spider-Man to be a crime fighter dealing with local threats. The MCU has basically been scientific/cosmic thus far (which is really weird because to me the Silver Surfer is Marvel's greatest cosmic character ever and we haven't heard a peep from him yet)!
    Most of the MCU Avengers would fit in a street level story. Hawkeye would've been perfect for a Netflix show or even a show on ABC. His comic origin was that of an ex-criminal turned hero. That's a cool hook for a show.

It's less the characters and more what superhero movies are defined by- spectacle. Netflix took the street level heroes because they were cheaper to use and fit the demands of tv better.

Ultimate Member

Maybe the crime fighting types could receive backlash given recent world events

Yeah, but I wasn't here to participate in those previous debates. So I want my turn! I think there is absolutely NO excuse for the movies and shows to be inconsistent with the use of their magic. It's not like they've had over 80 years of continuity and dozens of writers working on Loki, Strange and Wanda over the decades. I'm VERY happy with the mystical corner of the MCU so far. I'm glad they're giving it some love. Clearly Feige and his execs at Marvel Studios think it's really important to the MCU's future. To me, I like the premise of MoM. Baron Mordo and his followers believe that the use of magic is BAD, even when it is used for good purposes. I don't think that viewpoint is inherently "evil." I think that's an interesting ethical dimension to a fantasy story which I've never encountered before. And magic being central to the conflict of the plot in MoM makes it even more dynamic than if it was just being used as a means to an end. I do believe that Wanda MIGHT do something in Strange 2 to justify the actions of Mordo and his acolytes.
    Movies likely won't delve into it too much because they are limited, where comics are not. They have a couple hours to entertain general audiences and they may or may not be interested in the finer details of magic. It really depends on the person. Most Marvel fans seem to get upset when there isn't enough action. That happened with the beginning of WandaVision.

I flat out don't think they have room for Wanda messing up anymore. They have to have her grow from it. Or they just might as well call her a villain. Wanda has already done enough to make Mordo come after her so that isn't necessary. But also isn't in the synopsis, so might not be a thing. I think his thing is primarily with Strange and according to the synopsis makes Strange do something bad.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I feel like MU is just way oversized for a more well-defined magic system and respective rules.
    Mystic Arcana and Marvel Tarot kinda wanted to be that "Official Handbook for mystical Marvel" which tried really hard to tie most mystical stuff together but clearly no writer ever gave a **** about that.(Like there was that suggestion that Chthon or Set had a hand in causing AD/HOM in Marvel Tarot.)
    Also I heard Marvel is releasing "Book of Vishanti" which is also some sort of encyclopedia for Marvel's magic.
    There is still hope for MCU though.
    Again I think movies/shows and various "one-sided visual receiving" media can afford to have less-defined rules than say videos games/table RPGs.
    I want that book of the Vishanti. It is on my wish list.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.