Page 565 of 774 FirstFirst ... 65465515555561562563564565566567568569575615665 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,475 of 11598
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    No one considers Wanda more expendable than Brevoort & the avengers offices
    Why do you need to drag Avengers office into conversation to make X-franchise look good?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Contextually, I have an issue with that article...more specifically the closing assertion about how the mentally ill are viewed and treated, IRL. From the standpoint that you really cannot equate the fantastical treatment of a witch who can alter reality with the struggles of those who In Real Life suffer with mental illnesses and the potential effects they have on others.
    Sure, you have the mentally and emotionally stunted who simply cannot deal with a family member having mental issues, but apart from the few who think the mentally ill are a "blight" or some such rot and the treatments designed by the ignorant "doctors" and "psychologists" of the bygone eras, no one is truly advocating for the eradication of mentally ill people.

Looking at comics though a real world lens can be very insufficient and misleading...especially when you consider the writer(s) didn't go into any great detail about said topic.
    I mean Wanda literally got supposed mental illness shoved upon her out of nowhere. AD/HoM made her amnesiac for no reason.

Extraordinary Member

Totally meaningless as You know nothing about the future and you have no idea where the story is leading.
    Avengers disassembled and house of M on the other hand showed everyone how valuable Wanda was considered when it comes to the avengers editorial regime.
    Yeahhhh, but somehow X-office has a different mindset from that with zero evidence.

Extraordinary Member

You can do whatever you want, the fact remains that Wanda belonged to the avengers franchise and I SPECIFICALLY responded to a comment criticizing the x-men side for the way Wanda was narratively exploited during the years. Quite ironic considering the way she WAS and IS treated from the other side.
    The difference is that Avengers is her home at the end of the day. Editorial treated her like shit, but Avengers as a franchise still can offer her something, when X-franchise will never use her more than a glorified plot device, at best she got some fake agency that is ultimately not about her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't think Bendis was even trying for allegory. I think he just didn't think about that at all. And I think part of that is just a severe misunderstanding of mental illness. He just needed a reason why she suddenly turned. But it's important to point out that it failed in it's depiction because it still creates some wicked misconceptions.
    Pretty much this, he grabbed Wanda and put a sticker on her to show she is crazy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Why do you need to drag Avengers office into conversation to make X-franchise look good?
    I already explained myself, you just want to drag the argument on …and on ….and on, sorry not interested!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Who is the one to bring the OG argument back?
    Yeah, cannot wait for Wanda to leave X-franchise for good. I want peace and quiet at the very least.

You know what they say “Be the change you want to see in the world”.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

What change? It's just a tired argument that we've already pointed out fails since that story was done for future x-stories. Marvel is one entity. There is no inner schism. The us vs them complex doesn't work when these are just people working together. It's a job to them, not a faction in a war.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Why do you totally ignore the fact that x-office spent years without decision-making power at Marvel? The M-day, the conflict with the Avengers, the toxic terrigen cloud were decisions made by people in a higher position in the company, and the x-editors and writers just had to comply, they had to adapt to those stories. The whole Wanda storyline started with an Avengers writer and the editor-in-chief at the time decided to use that to reduce the number of mutants, I doubt that any x-office writer or editor was happy to have to deal with this mess, but it was their work. And the same thing happened at the time of the Inhumans.

All these years that the X side of Marvel didn't try to solve Decimation it was because they were stuck on repeating the old stories and not creating anything new for the competitor company. I doubt they were allowed to use Wanda, I don't even remember her appearing in an x-book other than Uncanny Avengers that didn't even belong to the x-office. You can repeat the speech that "they are the same company, x-office and avengers office is Marvel" but if someone bigger in the corporate food chain decides to put more emphasis and freedom on one side, the other just has to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by eliasmachado View Post
    Why do you totally ignore the fact that x-office spent years without decision-making power at Marvel? The M-day, the conflict with the Avengers, the toxic terrigen cloud were decisions made by people in a higher position in the company, and the x-editors and writers just had to comply, they had to adapt to those stories. The whole Wanda storyline started with an Avengers writer and the editor-in-chief at the time decided to use that to reduce the number of mutants, I doubt that any x-office writer or editor was happy to have to deal with this mess, but it was their work. And the same thing happened at the time of the Inhumans.

All these years that the X side of Marvel didn't try to solve Decimation it was because they were stuck on repeating the old stories and not creating anything new for the competitor company. I doubt they were allowed to use Wanda, I don't even remember her appearing in an x-book other than Uncanny Avengers that didn't even belong to the x-office. You can repeat the speech that "they are the same company, x-office and avengers office is Marvel" but if someone bigger in the corporate food chain decides to put more emphasis and freedom on one side, the other just has to accept it.
    This story was done way before 2014, when they started limiting anything X. And even then that wasn't comics because y'all still had 6 main comics going. Most of the restrictions were on merchandise, games and movies.

They factually decided the future of the whole line at the retreat before all that started. Together as creators. They are all people that work in the same office. They don't have a lot of the same emotional hang ups fans have. They propose stories, it goes through approval, and then gets approved.

Btw, redeeming Wanda would have to go past the Avengers editors desks, just like wrecking her for future X-stories and to change the Avengers line up was. Because what they care about most is money. It was an event for making money.

Also the event was an idea of Joe Quesada, not Tom Brevoort.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-20-2021 at 05:00 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

This story was done way before 2014, when they started limiting anything X. And even then that wasn't comics because y'all still had 6 main comics going. Most of the restrictions were on merchandise, games and movies.

They factually decided the future of the whole line at the retreat before all that started. Together as creators. They are all people that work in the same office. They don't have a lot of the same emotional hang ups fans have. They propose stories, it goes through approval, and then gets approved.

Btw, redeeming Wanda would have to go past the Avengers editors desks, just like wrecking her for future X-stories and to change the Avengers line up was. Because what they care about most is money. It was an event for making money.

Let's just all agree Joe Quesada should have been fired long before he could do stuff like this and Sins Past and OMD.

Always conveniently forgetting Avengers disassembled…… the game of dumping shit on Wanda started long before house of M
    Last edited by Daedra; 08-20-2021 at 08:46 AM.

BANNED

The common wisdom that Marvel was purposely suppressing the X-Men when they didn't own the movie rights doesn't really hold up to close scrutiny. For one thing, there has never been much cross promotion between the MCU and the comics, and it's unlikely that any Disney execs are losing sleep over comics that sell 50-100k copies in a good month potentially promoting a rival studio's films, particularly when the content is completely unrelated and the only connection is the X-Men branding, which Fox didn't even bother to use for their last two films Logan and Dark Phoenix. For another, the X-Men have been given a pretty robust line of books and a spot in most of the major crossover events this entire time, sure they don't really sell as well as they used to but that is much more easily explained by the fandom just losing interest. The X-Men had their moment in the 90s and 00s, and even if the Avengers films hadn't come along, people would have just moved on to something else. And it doesn't really help that the writers can't really help themselves from telling the same couple of stories over and over again, are we really supposed to believe that Krakoa is a totally new idea and not similar to Genosha or Utopia in any way? How long before the Phoenix comes back again? And Wolverine, where did he come from?!?

It's unfortunate really because with the success of the Disney+ show, Wanda should really be positioned as one of Marvel's main stars going forward and the comics should be looking for a way to tell interesting new stories about her. Instead she's stuck with this lame X-shaped anchor dragging her down, and while I always appreciate whenever she's back in the classic costume and the artwork certainly looks beautiful, it is a very retrograde depiction of her as this tragic but ultimately helpless victim, to whom stuff just happens to without her having any agency or input of her own.