Page 285 of 774 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    that's because magic is not a powerset but a way to deal/study/influence the universe/reality, just like science is the way used by scientists, a sorcerer is a magic based scientist, as it happens with science the limit is represented by what is still unknown and needs to be studied/mastered, the sorcerer supreme can't be compared to spider man, the juggernaut has a magic based powerset, pixie from the x-men has a magic based powerset, Stephen strange should be compared to Reed Richards or Tony Stark.
    Yes, I like this explanation. There are magics that are taught, a precision spell craft, akin to science, some are saying.

Wanda always had energy that she had some/later more control over.

Magicians like Strange conjure the energy for the effects they command or wish.
    Witches or other like Wanda have the energy or have more 'inherent' ways to conjure / create it.

I can't put it my 'casting finger' on it, but it seems relevant to distinguish 'folk-type' magic from Strange's conjurations.
    A part of me wants to go with the East/West division. Strange's magic is more Eastern, or has that feel or something.

Wanda's seems more old world as in European.

But these are window dressings to some degree. There is ancient folk magic in India or China, for example.

European Ceremonial magick. (Dee and Kelly, Crowley perhaps) are the other side of that.

Probably even more ways to dice and slice the whole thing.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darth WandaVision View Post
    Pietro. Magneto, Mastermind, Toad. The Blob in the last issue.

Wanda could probably use some quality girl time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    She didn't team up with another lady until Jan and then she left the team shortly after that
    Indeed In my Reading which is WELL ahead of these issues in the comics, sadly our Wanda does not get really any team-ups or girl's she can call friends until Janet comes back to the team well into the Wanda's time into the Avengers and that is well into the career of Capt's Kooky Quartet Era of the Avengers.

Wanda holds her own well in the Boys Major clubs and it thing with it gains her voice to stand-up for herself and not to be pushed around by the other guys in the group, espically in a group like the brotherhood who outside of her caring brother Pietro is full of dangerous scummy people like Magneto worshiping Toad, Angry Magento and Creepy Mastermind.

This will ad Wanda well in when while amoung Friend and better guys in the Avengers, will add her in carving out her own place in the boys club of the Avengers and Make herown starting mark and place on the team!

Thanks both you You, Leokearon and It is Great to See You Back Darth WandaVision~!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Wanda's powers are different because even after Marvel settled on chaos magic and everything she's done is under that umbrella, they don't stick to the rules within that. But they have gone back at times to correct those mistakes.

Energy beams are beams of energy. And can be concussive or piercing.
    Ok. I just always thought energy beams were just a way to say "Hey, I can fight too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    that's because magic is not a powerset but a way to deal/study/influence the universe/reality, just like science is the way used by scientists, a sorcerer is a magic based scientist, as it happens with science the limit is represented by what is still unknown and needs to be studied/mastered, the sorcerer supreme can't be compared to spider man, the juggernaut has a magic based powerset, pixie from the x-men has a magic based powerset, Stephen strange should be compared to Reed Richards or Tony Stark.
    Interesting way of looking at. I guess I like to be sure of what powers I'm getting, but this works too

In real time, Jan coming back, before Wanda left (very dramatically) was maybe 2 years?
    Hank was in his romance with Black Widow who was nearly an Avenger at this time, she hung around so much, but in pretty short order those two broke up, Mags tore Wanda and Pietro from the Avengers - I still remember the dramatic Buscema panel of M hurtling the pen at Wasp - I thought he might have really hurt her, as a kid.
    But it was a couple of real years again before Wanda rejoined the fold and she never/rarely left for many years.

Actually it was only about a year, not two.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I just always thought energy beams were just a way to say "Hey, I can fight too!" Interesting way of looking at. I guess I like to be sure of what powers I'm getting, but this works too
    Wait.....what? No, energy beams are beams of energy. There are many different kinds: light beams, dark-force beams, Doc Strange ones, Scarlet Witch has shot Hex Beams, Storm has lightning beams, Vision has solar energy beams, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    In real time, Jan coming back, before Wanda left (very dramatically) was maybe 2 years?
    Hank was in his romance with Black Widow who was nearly an Avenger at this time, she hung around so much, but in pretty short order those two broke up, Mags tore Wanda and Pietro from the Avengers - I still remember the dramatic Buscema panel of M hurtling the pen at Wasp - I thought he might have really hurt her, as a kid.
    But it was a couple of real years again before Wanda rejoined the fold and she never/rarely left for many years.

Actually it was only about a year, not two.
    Hank never romanced the Black Widow.

I enjoyed seeing the enlarged team with Hank and Jan.

About the pencil twirled in the air at Jan (whom I believe was wearing an orange, blue and white new costume) was done again many years later but directed at both Hank and Jan by the villain Graviton.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ultimate Member

I was just trying to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But I think it's possible to make it consistent. They just have to list out what powers each character has
    I thought Strange's first movie actually did a wonderful job of explaining and limiting the magic in that movie. That surprised me. It goes to show how much effort Disney is making sure they keep things consistent. I applaud them for their efforts. I know some comic book fans are unhappy with the "limitations" on all things mystical in the MCU, but I thought the writers showed Stephen's powers in a really interesting, entertaining and original way IN SPITE of those limitations. I don't agree with how Marvel Comics treated magic in the last twenty years. I think Marvel's stance of "It's magic, we don't have to explain it" was very damaging to the "fantasy corner" of the Marvel Universe. Still, even though I know a LOT of readers hate the One More Day storyline, I have to say it was unique in the sense that the "bad guy" in it won. Mephisto got what he wanted all along, without conditions or consequences. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot in superhero comic books.

Ultimate Member

Well, villains get away without consequences in the real world sometimes

And the limitations can be just as arbitrary and poorly thought out

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I thought Strange's first movie actually did a wonderful job of explaining and limiting the magic in that movie. That surprised me. It goes to show how much effort Disney is making sure they keep things consistent. I applaud them for their efforts. I know some comic book fans are unhappy with the "limitations" on all things mystical in the MCU, but I thought the writers showed Stephen's powers in a really interesting, entertaining and original way IN SPITE of those limitations. I don't agree with how Marvel Comics treated magic in the last twenty years. I think Marvel's stance of "It's magic, we don't have to explain it" was very damaging to the "fantasy corner" of the Marvel Universe. Still, even though I know a LOT of readers hate the One More Day storyline, I have to say it was unique in the sense that the "bad guy" in it won. Mephisto got what he wanted all along, without conditions or consequences. That kind of thing doesn't happen a lot in superhero comic books.
    People don't like OMD because it trashed Spider-man in the same way HoM trashed Wanda.

TV tropes has a whole section about villains winning. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ins/ComicBooks
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 04-17-2021 at 09:01 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    many Dr Strange fans hated that the movie centers around those energy-spell-hand-things as Doctor Strange it's a Kung Fu master or something, i'm not against Doctor Strange using hand-to-hand combat. In fact, Doctor Strange does know how to fight in the comics. he's the Sorcerer Supreme my problem is just how often they use kung-fu and other martial arts in that film. It seems like instead of really embracing magic and setting Strange even further apart from the other superheroes, they wanted to ground the magic more in reality so they made most of the magic in the film just a way for the characters to conjure weapons like invisible swords, energy nun-chucks, and other things that just result in fist-fights.

Marvel really was still gun shy about magic. Hopefully now that general audiences have embraced it, they go full tilt.

Go into Vishanti lore, have Strange become SS and drop the sling ring.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

the russo did a great job with him, he used other abilities in infinity war and in endgame well, he stopped the water.

Ultimate Member

Endgame Strange was great. I want to see more wacky stuff like that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I can't put it my 'casting finger' on it, but it seems relevant to distinguish 'folk-type' magic from Strange's conjurations.
    A part of me wants to go with the East/West division. Strange's magic is more Eastern, or has that feel or something.

Wanda's seems more old world as in European.
    I have no idea what to think about this, but the idea of Strange's Eastern magic being methodical and codified and science-y (all about 'dimensional energy'), and Wanda's Western magic being instinctive and mysterious and 'orientalist' tickles my funny bone.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I have no idea what to think about this, but the idea of Strange's Eastern magic being methodical and codified and science-y (all about 'dimensional energy'), and Wanda's Western magic being instinctive and mysterious and 'orientalist' tickles my funny bone.
    Now that you point it out, it is atypical