Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Where is the idea that Zatanna is doing well over in DC (at least in the comics)? The general sentiment is one of dissatisfaction from most fans. They're retreading the same tired trope that Zee now has to fear her power and cannot or will not fully utilize them. She's been stuck in the same cycle of losing control and being de-powered since nu52. There's gratitude that she, at least, has a decent and consistent showing - but her display and control of power isn't something people are lauding DC for.

Another major reason why Marvel can't simply have a magic rulebook in comparison to other fantasy universes is that those contained stories (with set beginning and ends) are fundamentally structured around a single system of magic that the narrative then utilizes to progress story or provide a lens/perspective for said story leading toward an eventual end or answer. However, Marvel (and DC) don't have one singular system of magic (Wanda, Strange, Nico, Loki, Mephisto all use different systems of magic) and no intended end for a multitude of stories. Simply "Magic-users" isn't a catch all term as different schools, abilities, rules, and limitations will be applied for different characters - similar to how "science" shouldn't be used as a catch all for anything remotely scientific (Physics, Biology, etc. relate but are different schools of study). Much less keeping that consistent would just hamstring writers.

Like Generic said, I think powers in general are best used as an extension of character and I'm more interested in the intention behind the use than the display or superficial cost for said power. Because applying a cost for magic eventually leads to 2 scenarios. Writers are trapped in a box attempting to respond to how many "years" are shaved off or memories lost for Wanda using "x" spell that the cost becomes meaningless eventually reaching the climax where said "cost" becomes inconsequential as the eventual price needs to be paid or reversed, or said character becomes unusable as the only next step in their story is the conclusion as they've exhausted any reasonable way to maintain using their powers. That said - limits are necessary, costs not so much.

You make a really good point about self-contained stories with fixed beginnings and endings. Rules are easier to apply in those circumstances, no question. I think the Harry Potter series is starting to seriously have some problems with consistency and continuity because of how long it has lasted. I think the MCU might have similar issues in the coming years. I'm just trying to come up with some ideas to make magic users more interesting in the Marvel Universe. I think DC has executed the whole magic with a cost thing better than Marvel has and that's why Zatanna has more appearances. Plus, DC is going full throttle with the whole Zatanna is a "horror" character right now, if I'm not mistaken. At least DC's trying to do something new and I applaud them for that. Marvel has a HUGE magical "galaxy" to work with, mix it the hell up already!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 06-11-2021 at 10:43 AM.