Page 361 of 774 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364365371411461 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,415 of 11598

Hopefully this is a better promise than the whole they didn't want to have a woman just go crazy with power thing.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True. Not sure how Wanda feels about it, but they do not want her there.
    She shouldn't even want to be there. There's nothing to gain from it. Mutant utopias never seem to last anyway. The next writer will come along and do something completely different.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Hopefully this is a better promise than the whole they didn't want to have a woman just go crazy with power thing.
    It was literally true, but got our hopes too high for how they would treat her. Someone said that the show avoided "grief makes you crazy" and leaned instead into "grief makes you selfish and inconsiderate" (which is a little better because it's sometimes true, but made Wanda a very un-heroic character).

We'll see where they go with her next, but the ending of WandaVision was ambiguous enough that there are many different ways to go with her while still being true to what they set up.

yeah hopefully He does better than Jac Shaeffer, I liked WV, but I don't deny that I was disappointed in the final she gave Wanda saying she wouldn't do the stereotype of ''women can't control their powers'' in an interview, hopefully Lizzie told him to handle Wanda like a hero like she should be.
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 06-06-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

Well, it's a problematic trope, so I can see why they wanted to avoid it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yes, but some fans (like me) interpreted that as them saying they were going to avoid making Wanda turn bad like in Avengers Disassembled/House of M, and that didn’t happen. She still lost control of her powers and did bad things and wasn’t given a chance to redeem herself (yet). She just didn’t go crazy.

So we won’t get our expectations too high this time around, except they won’t do her as dirty as the comics did… but that’s a low bar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yes, but some fans (like me) interpreted that as them saying they were going to avoid making Wanda turn bad like in Avengers Disassembled/House of M, and that didn’t happen. She still lost control of her powers and did bad things and wasn’t given a chance to redeem herself (yet). She just didn’t go crazy.

So we won’t get our expectations too high this time around, except they won’t do her as dirty as the comics did… but that’s a low bar.
    Oh, I see. Yeah, she wasn't very heroic by the end. I hope she becomes more heroic in MoM

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

It was literally true, but got our hopes too high for how they would treat her. Someone said that the show avoided "grief makes you crazy" and leaned instead into "grief makes you selfish and inconsiderate" (which is a little better because it's sometimes true, but made Wanda a very un-heroic character).

We'll see where they go with her next, but the ending of WandaVision was ambiguous enough that there are many different ways to go with her while still being true to what they set up.
    I really did not see that at all in Wanda's character, by how the story went and by what I got both from the breakdowns by other and what really seemed like what the writers where going for was a Lady not going crazy or being selfish, but coming back from a emotional breakdown down of grief and hitting rock bottom and being gone in her own mind and having to work back up from their.

If she was really selfish and only care about herself, she would have not given up her family or given up the town when she found the truth by episode 9, that is how it came across to me and it seemed like many others I saw in reviews too.

To understand this view better and to explain it better then I Ever could Hope to do, Watch this IF You have not yet, Every Little Bit of it!

Last edited by CJStriker; 06-06-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I really did not see that at all in Wanda's character, by how the story went and by what I got both from the breakdowns by other and what really seemed like what the writers where going for was a Lady not going crazy or being selfish, but coming back from a emotional breakdown down of grief and hitting rock bottom and being gone in her own mind and having to work back up from their.

If she was really selfish and only care about herself, she would have not given up her family or given up the town when she found the truth by episode 9, that is how it came across to me and it seemed like many others I saw in reviews too.

To understand this view better and to explain it better then I Ever could Hope to do, Watch this IF You have not yet, Every Little Bit of it!

It's more about how writers interpreted mental illness. And saying that she was selfish. The depiction of depression was also off. And they very much did not portray her as learning control of her powers and link the powers being out of control to her mental illness. Those are very problematic things, still.

They didn't really avoid it is the issue. They'd need to:

a. Separate Wanda's powers from her emotions and mental state

b. Have her learn to control them.

Exactly this. I think there's trouble in thinking that just because it handled her better than AD/HoM that it handled the mental illness trope well. And nope!

Ultimate Member

They didn't really avoid it is the issue. They'd need to:

a. Separate Wanda's powers from her emotions and mental state

b. Have her learn to control them.
    Maybe the whole Hex shouldn't have been her fault then.

They saw it differently, so I can only hope they avoid the whole going insane with power thing in Dr. Strange 2.

Extraordinary Member

I think it was the right decision for the Hex to be her (accidental) doing instead of having someone else manipulate her into doing it. The criticism is more that at the end she hadn't really learned to do better.

If the tag scene had really showed her learning to control her power and avoid hurting people again, I don't think I would have the same criticism. But the tag shows that she could maybe be learning to control her powers, but she could also be about to get corrupted by the Darkhold, or screw up looking for her children... so we have to wait until 2022 at least to find out if she will do better or get worse.

I think it was the right decision for the Hex to be her (accidental) doing instead of having someone else manipulate her into doing it. The criticism is more that at the end she hadn't really learned to do better.

If the tag scene had really showed her learning to control her power and avoid hurting people again, I don't think I would have the same criticism. But the tag shows that she could maybe be learning to control her powers, but she could also be about to get corrupted by the Darkhold, or screw up looking for her children... so we have to wait until 2022 at least to find out if she will do better or get worse.
    I would've been fine with Wanda being responsible for the Hex if she wasn't responsible for all the worst parts of it like the brainwashing and people being left comatose to suit her fantasy world, and that she basically ignored it until it was thrown in her face.

It wasn't as bad as her House of M moment, but it felt too similar to be comfortable.