Page 403 of 774 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407413453503 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 11598
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I already know that. And know that the posts claiming this is best for her are gaslighting at best.
    I was just being rhetorical. Anyway, I don't get why anyone would honestly think that relationship was good for her

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I was just being rhetorical. Anyway, I don't get why anyone would honestly think that relationship was good for her
    Fandoms seem to love toxic relationships. And like gross stuff. There are people that ship her and Pietro still. That says everything.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Exactly. My question of how this benefits Wanda at all is never really answered. The best was it gives her an edge to be possibly a villain. Which is messed up and ruined the character. So yeah...
    Honestly if they ever made Wanda a villain, it should be her finally being fed up with all the BS in her life.
    She should lead an army of night creatures because why not and making meta/4th wall breaking references left and right, like demanding compensation from Krakoa for years of unpaid work as their favorite plot device. And murder a random civilian who happens to look Brian Micheal Bendis or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    MARVEL COMICS · RELEASES JUL 28TH, 2021
    S.W.O.R.D. #7

THE MORNING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE... The party is over...but not all the guests have gone home. Victor Von Doom is staying for dinner. Be there as he catches up with an old friend…just as THE LAST ANNIHILATION hits!

THE LAST ANNIHILATION TIE-IN

Do you think that Doom is talking to Wanda?
    I wouldn't call Wanda and Doom friends

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Honestly if they ever made Wanda a villain, it should be her finally being fed up with all the BS in her life.
    She should lead an army of night creatures because why not and making meta/4th wall breaking references left and right, like demanding compensation from Krakoa for years of unpaid work as their favorite plot device. And murder a random civilian who happens to look Brian Micheal Bendis or something.
    That'd be amazing, but it'd give her too much autonomy and we can't have that. She has to be comatose, functionally dead or really dead and replaced with someone she's never met for Magneto's man pain.

Spectacular Member

I like familial storylines. It's just that Mags himself was a retcon for Wanda and Pietro. He didn't get retconned into her family until she was an adult and married, and was never the one to raise her. The Maximoffs raised her and regardless of retcons were always the ones that raised her. Through the Whizzer/Miss America parentage, Mags/Magda or Natalya and yet unnamed father. The retcon didn't do anything to her. Because she had very little association with it. It just retconned a retcon that was barely touched.

And I hate this part. They should not be defined and changed based on someone that ended up related to them 20 years after their creation. That sort of idea ruined Wanda.
    I keep reading people defending the current retcon by pointing out that the original Magneto revelation was also a retcon. However, to me, there's a big difference as to how the original retcon was handled and how the new was.

As revealed in this Comic Book Legends #260, the idea to make Magneto was done because it made sense to the editors and writers at the time. Magneto did physically look like Pietro (which was just a coincidence at the time), and Wanda's costume was similar enough to Magneto that the connection would work. So Mark Gruenwald and John Bryne decided to seed their connection in their respected titles. In Gruenwald's Avengers #186, it was revealed that the twin's real mother was Magda. Concurrently, in Bryne's X-Men #125, Magneto starts thinking about his late wife Magda.

For Gruenwald and Bryne, that was as to how far they initially wanted to take it. The reveal that Magneto was the real father of the twins would be a fun little easter egg for fans who read both of those issues, which to me made it cool. It made the Marvel Universe interconnected, and it rewarded dedicated fans with that knowledge. Not only that, like any good retcon, it was a retcon that kind of made sense. Pietro did look like Magneto, and there is some irony with the fact that Magneto would treat his own kin horribly, and not realize it. Of course it everyone realized the truth because you know, comics, losing some of the coolness factors.

Meanwhile, the whole retcon with Uncanny Aveners is not neat at all. It was done as a complete middle finger to Fox studios, and it had little thought, purpose, or insight into the greater Marvel Universe. The revelation literally came out of nowhere in Axis and was only later haphazardly expanded on in Uncanny Avengers. It essentially told everything that fans believed to be true for the last 36 years was a lie and that we should just forget about them ever being Mutants because screw Fox.

I respectively understand that we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this topic, and I'm not here to change anyone's minds. But I just don't like the argument how the original Magneto revelation was also a retcon, because 1) it doesn't make the more recent retcon in AXIS any better, and 2) there's a huge difference in how both retcons were handled. The first one was done to interconnect the greater Marvel Universe and make the backstory for the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver more interesting. The second retcon was done out of pettiness and is no longer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    That being said I'm not against Wanda becoming a mutant again so long as it serves for great representation and storytelling for Wanda, and if they are going to commit to another retcon and place Wanda and her family with a foothold in the X-corner I hope they take the opportunity to explore "mutant magic" through her and strike a similar balance to her previous status quo as an Avenger and mutant. Perhaps this is leading to the ideal path for Wanda, allowing her, Pietro, Lorna, Magneto and the kids to explore an interesting family dynamic and situating them with potential stories across the MU (X, Avengers, and Cosmic).
    I think that is what most of us want, and are hoping what this recent issue of SWORD will lead to.

Is it necessary for Wanda to be a mutant again and daughter of Magneto for her to have good stories again? No, not necessarily, but on a very, very selfish note on my part, I would strongly prefer that she was. Also, I really did like that end scene within SWORD, so I wouldn't mind her having some role in the X-Men titles for a little while. Of course, I think she should be back to the Avengers at some point, yet I see there's no harm seeing her within the mutant-side of things for a little while longer.

All of their major relationships with other characters were made when they were adults, with other Avengers, Inhumans or X-Men, so their parentage shouldn't really be that important anyway
    And yet it is. I know it started with the Kooky Quartet's first battle with Dr. Doom, but why they keep bringing up the whole parentage thing makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I keep reading people defending the current retcon by pointing out that the original Magneto revelation was also a retcon. However, to me, there's a big difference as to how the original retcon was handled and how the new was.

As revealed in this Comic Book Legends #260, the idea to make Magneto was done because it made sense to the editors and writers at the time. Magneto did physically look like Pietro (which was just a coincidence at the time), and Wanda's costume was similar enough to Magneto that the connection would work. So Mark Gruenwald and John Bryne decided to seed their connection in their respected titles. In Gruenwald's Avengers #186, it was revealed that the twin's real mother was Magda. Concurrently, in Bryne's X-Men #125, Magneto starts thinking about his late wife Magda.

For Gruenwald and Bryne, that was as to how far they initially wanted to take it. The reveal that Magneto was the real father of the twins would be a fun little easter egg for fans who read both of those issues, which to me made it cool. It made the Marvel Universe interconnected, and it rewarded dedicated fans with that knowledge. Not only that, like any good retcon, it was a retcon that kind of made sense. Pietro did look like Magneto, and there is some irony with the fact that Magneto would treat his own kin horribly, and not realize it. Of course it everyone realized the truth because you know, comics, losing some of the coolness factors.

Meanwhile, the whole retcon with Uncanny Aveners is not neat at all. It was done as a complete middle finger to Fox studios, and it had little thought, purpose, or insight into the greater Marvel Universe. The revelation literally came out of nowhere in Axis and was only later haphazardly expanded on in Uncanny Avengers. It essentially told everything that fans believed to be true for the last 36 years was a lie and that we should just forget about them ever being Mutants because screw Fox.

I respectively understand that we will probably never see eye-to-eye on this topic, and I'm not here to change anyone's minds. But I just don't like the argument how the original Magneto revelation was also a retcon, because 1) it doesn't make the more recent retcon in AXIS any better, and 2) there's a huge difference in how both retcons were handled. The first one was done to interconnect the greater Marvel Universe and make the backstory for the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver more interesting. The second retcon was done out of pettiness and is no longer needed.

I think that is what most of us want, and are hoping what this recent issue of SWORD will lead to.

Is it necessary for Wanda to be a mutant again and daughter of Magneto for her to have good stories again? No, not necessarily, but on a very, very selfish note on my part, I would strongly prefer that she was. Also, I really did like that end scene within SWORD, so I wouldn't mind her having some role in the X-Men titles for a little while. Of course, I think she should be back to the Avengers at some point, yet I see there's no harm seeing her within the mutant-side of things for a little while longer.
    How is there? They just had him show up at Wanda's house and say he was her father and provided no proof.

The only difference is preference. You like that retcon. I think it did nothing for her.

They did not show Magneto previously to showing he had white hair like Pietro. That was a change for the retcon.

And I have to ask. How does yet another parental retcon benefit Wanda? How does it make her more interesting? And why do you think she wasn't interesting enough without it? Like she's still the same character and her more interesting backstory and powers come from Chthon anyway. All that comes from the mutant and Mags side is abuse and a mere mention of her being a mutant.

I don't care if it was to screw over Fox. It gave her the separation she needed from a very toxic relationship.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    And yet it is. I know it started with the Kooky Quartet's first battle with Dr. Doom, but why they keep bringing up the whole parentage thing makes no sense.
    At some point they need to let it go

At some point they need to let it go
    Yeah, they do. Before we get a Rey Skywalker moment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Yeah, they do. Before we get a Rey Skywalker moment.
    God forbid!

Wanda and Magneto's relationship is a hugely known and popular fact for both characters in pop culture. The fact that Marvel decided to retcon it away because of movie rights just gave more attention to it. She has been in the MCU without any connection with him and mutants for 6 years now and yet if you ask anyone with basic comic book knowledge they'll still know about it. Establishing someone as adoptive parents and then saying "No, they're really the biological parents" is the most uncredible retcon possible, and that version didn't last as then they created a new mother for her right after... But not a father. When you have lots of retcons and 3 and a half set of parents, what's gonna stick to people it's the most known version of the story.

Even if they don't actually bring it back... The connection is never gonna be erased. It's never gonna leave people's minds. The comics themselves continue to acknowledge it, even if it's to cause drama in regards to it not being true. For as long as the characters exist there's always gonna be people talking about it, speculation that they'll go back to it, nods to it in the stories, family variant covers. You can't go back to 1982. Even if you don't like it, I feel like it might as well be better to get over the will-they-won't-they. Because otherwise it's never gonna stop.

Extraordinary Member

They shouldn't be retconning her origin again, ever. The S.W.O.R.D. scene didn't even require it. Magneto just says, well, you may not be my biological daughter but I still think of you as my daughter (poor Lorna, did he ever say that to her when she wasn't his biological daughter?).

You could say the same thing for her being a mutant. Who cares where she got her X-gene? She was a mutant in every possible way that counted.

If there's one thing Wanda's fans agree on it's that we're tired of her getting new parental origin stories, and they don't need them. She's a mutant sorceress and she has several people who could be considered her parents in one way or another.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Wanda and Magneto's relationship is a hugely known and popular fact for both characters in pop culture. The fact that Marvel decided to retcon it away because of movie rights just gave more attention to it. She has been in the MCU without any connection with him and mutants for 6 years now and yet if you ask anyone with basic comic book knowledge they'll still know about it. Establishing someone as adoptive parents and then saying "No, they're really the biological parents" is the most uncredible retcon possible, and that version didn't last as then they created a new mother for her right after... But not a father. When you have lots of retcons and 3 and a half set of parents, what's gonna stick to people it's the most known version of the story.

Even if they don't actually bring it back... The connection is never gonna be erased. It's never gonna leave people's minds. The comics themselves continue to acknowledge it, even if it's to cause drama in regards to it not being true. For as long as the characters exist there's always gonna be people talking about it, speculation that they'll go back to it, nods to it in the stories, family variant covers. You can't go back to 1982. Even if you don't like it, I feel like it might as well be better to get over the will-they-won't-they. Because otherwise it's never gonna stop.
    Of course people who aren't familiar with her will still know that. But isn't that part of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

Being known and healthy are different things. The important thing is what it does for the character. Which is nothing but put her through another retcon and not evolve the character any.

The interest most have in it has to do with everyone but Wanda.

It's fine to still have her history with the Brotherhood, and still have the connection to Mags.

It is not fine to pretend like that relationship is something sweet, endearing, positive and have Wanda hug her abuser. So that she can gain some brownie points with x-fans.

It ruins any previous feelings that she's had as a character towards what has been done to her over the years. And most of the wants of her to be in the Magnus family does not consider her own autonomy.

The wants of her being in the x-books about desperation to have her anywhere, even though she'd be isolated outside of any of her actual established relationships.

It's romanticization of something that never really existed. And it's gross.