Page 629 of 774 FirstFirst ... 129529579619625626627628629630631632633639679729 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,435 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I just think there's a lot of ignorance regarding this community. Tracey Ullman looks VERY white to me. Assimilation can be somewhat coercive. I know that many Greek and Jewish people changed their surnames because they didn't wanna get hassled. I don't think most folks in America even know the g-word is a slur! I mean, I don't know you but I imagine you might have referred to folks with dwarfism as "midgets" and folks suffering from learning disabilities as "retards" back in the day when those terms weren't considered as hurtful as much as they are today? I think a lack of awareness is to blame here.
    No I don't use those words personally, but yes, ignorance is rampant in general. But especially in the US and Canada regarding Romani. To where in some parts of Europe, it's outright hatred. And even legal to kill Romani people.

That's why I said, I think Marvel is just ignorant, not malicious. They aren't trying to kill us, but their rep of us could definitely improve.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No I don't use those words personally, but yes, ignorance is rampant in general. But especially in the US and Canada regarding Romani. To where in some parts of Europe, it's outright hatred. And even legal to kill Romani people.

That's why I said, I think Marvel is just ignorant, not malicious. They aren't trying to kill us, but their rep of us could definitely improve.
    Europe allows folks in their country to kill Romani people legally? You must be joking. I thought Europe was against the death penalty. They can't do that.

Marvel is ignorant. Then why did they make Doctor Doom and the Maximoff twins Romani? They knew who Romani folks were back in the day, obviously. They didn't have to make that a part of their origin story. They should have done their homework. In terms of Hollywood, I feel it is IMPOSSIBLE to cast Romani actors/actresses. Speaking for myself, I don't know of ANY of them. But then again, I didn't know the actors/actresses who were cast for the Shang-Chi, Echo and Ms. Marvel roles either. I hear they're actually racially accurate and were/written by East Asian, Native American and Muslim writers respectively. So I do think Hollywood is doing a bit better on this front. It's too late for the Scarlet Witch now but maybe they'll fix things with Doctor Doom (I doubt it though). Look, I think Olsen is a fine actress and I like her Wanda. But she still doesn't feel like the Scarlet Witch to me from the comic books. She's a SoCal girl, not some lady from Eastern Europe.

I don't know of any Romani writers either. I think Marvel should TRY to recruit some, but I don't think they're interested. To be honest, I used to be pretty upset that the Washington Redskins changed their name. Yes, I know it's not woke to say that, but I just loved the traditions of that team. There's lots of history there. BUT, after I read an article by the late Charles Krauthammer that showed why he thought a name change was necessary (it was a good piece talking about how words don't stand still, and how they evolve), I sort of accepted it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...8ea_story.html

The reason why I'm talking about Krauthammer is he did mention something about the Roma in his article. It's interesting how he mentioned that the word "gyp" had negative connotations. I didn't know that!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-24-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Tini Howard is of romani descent. I feel like she's a perfect fit for Wanda, cause besides that her Excalibur is all about magic and fantasy, she's a Billy fan, and I guess Wanda too since she said she cosplayed her when she was younger, was excited about the WandaVision teaser, and included her and the boys in some AU issue/oneshot I can't remember.

Extraordinary Member

I honestly feel like Tini won't be assigned to Wanda content even if she wants to, like Wanda hardly ever gets the desired resources, be it promotion or writing talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Tini Howard is of romani descent. I feel like she's a perfect fit for Wanda, cause besides that her Excalibur is all about magic and fantasy, she's a Billy fan, and I guess Wanda too since she said she cosplayed her when she was younger, was excited about the WandaVision teaser, and included her and the boys in some AU issue/oneshot I can't remember.
    I really don't like the books she writes, her magic on excalibur is ill defined. Zub still the best option

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    I really don't like the books she writes, her magic on excalibur is ill defined. Zub still the best option
    I know most x-fans don't like her, but I quite enjoy Excalibur, so...

I've always thought the complaints of white washing against the Maximoffs was stupid & I still do they look white in the comics, they been called white on panel, their drawn white, & were casted as white. It's been that way for years they never should have retconned them to be romani in the first place if they were never gonna do anything with it. I didn't even know that was a thing till I read this thread. And again even the comics our inconsistent like this is recent.
    Last edited by Journey; 09-24-2021 at 07:39 PM.

I enjoy some of Tini's work but she underpowers all her heavy hitter characters & restricts them in like a DND type of way at least she did with Billy & that annoyed the hell out of me, she would probably do the same with Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Europe allows folks in their country to kill Romani people legally. You must be joking. I thought Europe was against the death penalty. They can't do that.

Marvel is ignorant. Then why did they make Doctor Doom and the Maximoff twins Romani? They knew who Romani folks were back in the day, obviously. They didn't have to make that a part of their origin story. They should have done their homework. In terms of Hollywood, I feel it is IMPOSSIBLE to cast Romani actors/actresses. Speaking for myself, I don't know of ANY of them. But then again, I didn't know the actors/actresses who were cast for the Shang-Chi, Echo and Ms. Marvel roles either. I hear they're actually racially accurate and were/written by East Asian, Native American and Muslim writers respectively. So I do think Hollywood is doing a bit better on this front. It's too late for the Scarlet Witch now but maybe they'll fix things with Doctor Doom (I doubt it though). Look, I think Olsen is a fine actress and I like her Wanda. But she still doesn't feel like the Scarlet Witch to me from the comic books. She's a SoCal girl, not some lady from Eastern Europe.

I don't know of any Romani writers either. I think Marvel should TRY to recruit some, but I don't think they're interested. To be honest, I used to be pretty upset that the Washington Redskins changed their name. Yes, I know it's not woke to say that, but I just loved the traditions of that team. There's lots of history there. BUT, after I read an article by the late Charles Krauthammer that showed why he thought a name change was necessary (it was a good piece talking about how words don't stand still, and how they evolve), I sort of accepted it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...8ea_story.html

The reason why I'm talking about Krauthammer is he did mention something about the Roma in his article. It's interesting how he mentioned that the word "gyp" had negative connotations. I didn't know that!
    Not allow to kill people, but authorities look the other way if someone is killed.

Marvel made them Romani because they were magical and there are stereotypes involved with that.

There are Romani writers. There have been a couple in comics. Most are not.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 09-24-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I've always thought the complaints of white washing against the Maximoffs was stupid & I still do they look white in the comics, they been called white on panel, their drawn white, & were casted as white. It's been that way for years they never should have retconned them to be romani in the first place if they were never gonna do anything with it. I didn't even know that was a thing till I read this thread.
    The problem starts with Marvel's very early depiction of them as white despite making them Romani and that needing fixed. Indeed they never should have retconned it if they were never were gonna do anything with it. We could say the same about how they've treated family relations too. The could improve on a few things personal to Wanda. Marvel also isn't the place to go to for confirmation on who Romani are. They have no idea. They never did. I doubt anymore if they ever will.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 09-24-2021 at 07:45 PM.

I've always thought the complaints of white washing against the Maximoffs was stupid & I still do they look white in the comics, they been called white on panel, their drawn white, & were casted as white. It's been that way for years they never should have retconned them to be romani in the first place if they were never gonna do anything with it. I didn't even know that was a thing till I read this thread. And again even the comics our inconsistent like this is recent.
    It's only me but this only became a problem when they were cast as white on MCU?

I never saw anyone complain about the Pietro cast on Fox movies. And many wanted Peters to be Quicksilver on Wandavision

I enjoy some of Tini's work but she underpowers all her heavy hitter characters & restricts them in like a DND type of way at least she did with Billy & that annoyed the hell out of me, she would probably do the same with Wanda.
    Really not interested in this type of story, I hate when I read or watch something and I keep asking why the characters are so nerfed.
    Last edited by Writerblog; 09-24-2021 at 07:46 PM.

It's only me but this only became a problem when they were cast as white on MCU?

I never saw anyone complain about the Pietro cast on Fox movies. And many wanted Peters to be Quicksilver on Wandavision

Really not interested in this type of story, I hate when I read or watch something and I keep asking why the characters are so nerfed.
    Internet in general has been slow on the uptake that Hollywood, comics, any western media has always whitewashed and stereotyped Romani people. It's always been a problem. It use to be only Romani groups speaking up about it. Which got ignored. Now people outside of us are speaking up about it. And everyone is trying to hush them because it makes everyone uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Why I didn't know that. Thank you for the heads-up!

Extraordinary Member

Kinda? I mean she is probably not on everyone's radar before MCU.
    And people probably complain more about her supposed "Jewish erasure".
    And Wanda as a character generally attracts more controversy for some reason.(Her ethnicity, and being mean to Tony Stark lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Not allow to kill people, but authorities look the other way if someone is killed.

Marvel made them Romani because they were magical and there are stereotypes involved with that.

There are Romani writers. There have been a couple in comics. Most are not.
    My issue is that Marvel didn't do anything with it. Wanda and Pietro never talk about how the Holocaust affected their ancestors. It's never mentioned that they understand the Romani language. I know their adopted father was named Django, but most comic book readers don't know that he was named as a tribute to quite possibly the greatest guitarist that ever lived, Django Reinhardt (who happened to be Romani). Maybe these things were mentioned elsewhere in comics I didn't read, but Marvel made it seem like they were white for SO long. If they emphasized their Romani roots EARLIER and more OFTEN, maybe Disney woulda hired Romani twins in the movies. Magneto talked about his Jewish upbringing a lot, and Daredevil and Nightcrawler are hardcore Catholics. And readers are reminded of these facts a LOT. Look, I think it's safe to say that most Americans (as well as Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians) don't have an understanding of this issue. As you say, maybe the British are more informed because of their close proximity to mainland Europe where LOTS of Roma reside. Like in the Krauthammer article I posted, a lot of them think "Gypsies" are exotic folks, but don't understand calling them that is pretty hurtful in this day and age. Like calling people "Negroes" and "Redskins" was perfectly normal a few decades ago, but not anymore in the 2020s. I don't think Olsen is being "hateful". She's just ignorant. I do think she should be more aware and sensitive about this issue though. I'm no expert on the Roma, but I actually I have had close encounters with them during my trip to Paris. Most of them hung around famous tourist sites as you said. I CLEARLY remember some young boys swarming me with clipboards in front of the Pompidou Centre. And yes, I wanna say this again, they are NOT WHITE. If Journey had visited Paris like I did, he would ABSOLUTELY know this. So I don't blame him for not being aware. Besides movies and shows don't feature Roma like at all when they portray Paris. I was shocked to even discover there are a LOT of North and West Africans in Paris as well (bet you didn't know that)! I just felt sorry for them. Discrimination against the Roma is just not a burning issue in North America. In Europe it's a big deal. I bet you leokearon knows a thing or two about this. He lives in Europe!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-24-2021 at 08:38 PM.