Page 112 of 774 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212612 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Reidy isn't an actress herself but a writer. But Mihaela Dragan, Zita Moldovan, Farkas Franciska, Alina Serban and others are.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. Still think she wouldn't mind making out with Bettany though...

They never went into their background much before the Romani part was established. They did make the Franks their parents, but that didn't make sense because the Franks were American. So they changed it again. They've been Romani a lot longer than they haven't (mid-70s on) and have never written it out. Actually made it more apparent. So with that comes some responsibility. They based them on a real group of people (Roma), so the depiction should be at least an attempt at accuracy and not the stereotypes. But even in Wanda's solo, they make her being a witch a hereditary thing.
    But they went with neither and usurped the culture/heritage as a anaolgoe for their own fictional creation. Certainly, there's a responsibility to move in a direction that represents those analogies better but also keep her within a paradigm that ppl understand and have come to love. They aren't going to recast the role, unless Olsen decides to leave, I mean in general her background is funky, even with the Romani part. One thing is clear that she's not just Romani and was raised Romani but is white european - jewish aswell...neither of which Elizabeth Olsen is lineage wise (A joss whedon pick).

I wonder how ppl would react if they got a half-white (jewish), half-romani (white-south asian or south asian) actress to replace her.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 02-25-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Choose one

Kind of surprised it's the second one that has heels compared to the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    But they went with neither and usurped the culture/heritage as a anaolgoe for their own fictional creation. Certainly, there's a responsibility to move in a direction that represents those analogies better but also keep her within a paradigm that ppl understand and have come to love. They aren't going to recast the role, unless Olsen decides to leave, I mean in general her background is funky, even with the Romani part. One thing is clear that she's not just Romani and was raised Romani but is white european - jewish aswell...neither of which Elizabeth Olsen is lineage wise (A joss whedon pick).

I wonder how ppl would react if they got a half-white (jewish), half-romani (white-south asian or south asian) actress to replace her.
    I think once they cast a white woman to play her they have to keep it that way and not allude to things like fortune telling for her. It'd have been ideal if they cast someone that is Romani. Wanda wasn't half Jewish. Mags is Jewish, but none of that lineage would get pushed to Wanda. And she was not of Jewish faith either. But also they'd have to deal with some of the other stereotypes and issues. Like how would a Romani woman react to getting dark magic powers? It's certainly forbidden, so how does she deal with that? That's where getting Romani writers involved with handling such things is important.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Like how would a Romani woman react to getting dark magic powers? It's certainly forbidden, so how does she deal with that? That's where getting Romani writers involved with handling such things is important.
    Of course, but that's obviously not going to be the focus in relation to her being romani in the context of Wandavision. Now as you note, chaos magic is the main source of her power in the comics and i believe they do touch on that issue to some degree. But in the MCU? so far there has been nothing connecting her powers to dark magic or chaos magic. Her abilities are based on the mind stone and that doesn't really relate to any forbidden nature, in connection to any Sokovian witchery nor her romani analog.

What is lacking is sensitivity and that's where romani writers or consultants should be contacted. Even though the character is still being played but a non-romanI, white person...so it doesn't really solve the core issue some Roma have with how she's depicted. In the event that they do hire Roma ppls themselves to improve things in that department.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 02-25-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    Of course, but that's obviously not going to be the focus in relation to her being romani in the context of Wandavision. Now as you note, chaos magic is the main source of her power in the comics and i believe they do touch on that issue to some degree. But in the MCU? so far there has been nothing connecting her powers to dark magic or chaos magic. Her abilities are based on the mind stone and that doesn't really relate to any forbidden nature, in connection to any Sokovian witchery nor her romani analog.

What is lacking is sensitivity and that's where romani writers or consultants should be contacted. Even though the character is still being played but a non-romanI, white person...so it doesn't really solve the core issue some Roma have with how she's depicted. In the event that they do hire Roma ppls themselves to improve things in that department.
    Not yet in the movies, but the book seems to hint at that same eldritch origin as well.

They just have to leave out any associations or stereotypes.

I could practically hear the excited screaming from fellow Wanda fans following tonight’s episode

spoilers:
    We have our Scarlet Witch with Chaos Magic and probability hexes, everyone
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Everything may change in the last episode but for now I really like how it's all Wanda and not Mephisto or something else. It's just about Wanda working through her grief. When the show ends she'll be a much stronger character emotionally and power wise. Also Hayward may be the one character that constantly get on my nerves. Can't wait seeing him getting his ass kicked.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    spoilers:
    Everything may change in the last episode but for now I really like how it's all Wanda and not Mephisto or something else. It's just about Wanda working through her grief. When the show ends she'll be a much stronger character emotionally and power wise. Also Hayward may be the one character that constantly get on my nerves. Can't wait seeing him getting his ass kicked.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah I think her powers went out of control but then she was only able to contain it in this hex form. Because back in episode 5, they describe it as she contained it within that distance herself and saved thousands from also being sucked in. So I think at some point she was able to stop it, but her grief was too great to end it completely. Plus she's not trained at all at this point. Then the next time she increases it is to save Vision again.

Hayward was definitely egging her on, hoping she'd revive Vision so he could use him as a weapon and not have to do the work. Then discovers he just needed to collect her power.

I'm still processing much of the episode. And the mid-credits scene.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    i love how the mcu is starting to look like the comics kinda. carol debuting, sword AND shield, mutants, f4 coming, young avengers, and wanda is a godlike being who’s incomparable
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

spoilers:
    I knew they were going to use white Vision. So basically she was always a witch since she was young, and knew what the Infinity Stones were all about, volunteered herself knowing that should could suck in its powers to magnify her own. I don't think she lost control, and we see that she knows very well that she did everything of her own volition. Doesn't she realize the kids are fake though? She got this far.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    spoilers:
    I knew they were going to use white Vision. So basically she was always a witch since she was young, and knew what the Infinity Stones were all about, volunteered herself knowing that should could suck in its powers to magnify her own. I don't think she lost control, and we see that she knows very well that she did everything of her own volition. Doesn't she realize the kids are fake though? She got this far.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This episode was really a deep dive into MCU Wanda's history and the trauma that's led her to this point.

It wasn't my take that Wanda knew anything about the infinity stones. Looked like she didn't even know she was witch or that she used a "probability hex" to keep her and Pietro alive. She was definitely the cause of the hex world, but I do think she created it out of momentary overwhelming grief and lost control of her powers.

Also, super cool to see the silhouette of the Scarlet Witch, headdress and all!
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    spoilers:
    This episode was really a deep dive into MCU Wanda's history and the trauma that's led her to this point.

It wasn't my take that Wanda knew anything about the infinity stones. Looked like she didn't even know she was witch or that she used a "probability hex" to keep her and Pietro alive. She was definitely the cause of the hex world, but I do think she created it out of momentary overwhelming grief and lost control of her powers.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    She definitely knew she was a witch by the time she was with the Infinity Stone, and she didn't look like she lost control because of her grief. It was more like "F*ck it, I'm using my powers. I don't gotta take this." Maybe she didn't want to admit anything to anyone, but everything we saw just showed her fully conscious of everything the whole time. Especially since she knew that she had something inside her when she was a little girl.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    I agree with your interpretation Ibara.

spoilers:
    She didn't know what an infinity stone was. She was scared. The stone seemed to react to her though
    end of spoilers