I'd say it's now hard to overlook the coming of Wanda's series

WandaVision gets it first rave from Kristen Anderson-Lopez:

Kristen Anderson-Lopez
    @Lyrikris10
    ·
    2h
    All I can say is that in addition to being fun, funny and gripping
    @wandavision
    is perhaps the most innovative use of “form is content” storytelling I’ve ever experienced in my life. We are so grateful to be a small part of this inventive series.

Extraordinary Member

Well, what would be spoiler policy when the series aired? Like how many days till open discussion from release?

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, what would be spoiler policy when the series aired? Like how many days till open discussion from release?
    People could use spoiler tags.

I'm really pleased that the show will give Wanda and Vision a song just for them. I mentioned MANY months ago that I would love to have a theme for this couple. I've not been impressed with MCU music thus far, but by bringing these Frozen alumni to work on the series, I am cautiously optimistic about the quality of the scores here. And while I am bragging, I would just like to crow over the fact that I figured Wanda would be practicing her magic and Vision would suffer because of her growing pains. I thought she would drop a vase on his head, not a plate. I also remember seeing a ukulele on the couch, and I wondered who would be playing it. I know Olsen played some licks in I Saw The Light. I also am aware that Bettany managed to get into Jennifer Connelly's pants by playing guitar as well. Now it's been confirmed that he's gonna be playing it. I think it's great Vision has other interests besides superheroing, like an interest in music. I am happy that Wanda will have a job in WandaVision as well. Can't have her being a bum.

I'm less sure of Mephisto being the main villain of WandaVision now. It seems like the whole series appears to be dreamlike, so it's possible Nightmare is involved. Maybe both of them will show up. I've given up on ATJ appearing on WandaVision. All evidence points to Peters being Quicksilver in WandaVision. I think it will be a major cameo. I think Marvel Studios knows that Fox's Quicksilver was the most popular version of the character by far, so they'll use that version in this reality. At least they're doing right by Pietro here. But it's gotta suck for ATJ. Looking forward to seeing Olsen and Bettany this week though. I'm STILL not thrilled that in that last trailer it showed Wanda and Vision alone together and he was still adopting his human form. The only justification for that is if he adopts it ONLY if he goes outside.

It's funny, TCM will be airing one of my favorite movies on the exact SAME day that WandaVision comes out: Madame X. They don't show it often at all. If WandaVision even has a TENTH of the emotion of Madame X in it, this show will be a rousing success in my opinion.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-05-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Anyone interested in her relationship with Brother Voodoo? Is it something to further explore?
    Sorcerers dating one another is extremely boring in my opinion. I don't like romance much in superhero stuff, but if they're gonna do it let's go the opposites attract route. And if Wanda gets a new boyfriend, I would encourage Vision finding another chick to date too. Then both parties can FINALLY move on. I think Jericho is a good dude, so I think a relationship there with Wanda could work. I believe if Vision dates another sorceress that would be fine too. She'll be Wanda PART TWO without the baggage. What's Magik up to these days?
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-05-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Sorcerers dating one another is extremely boring in my opinion. I don't like romance much in superhero stuff, but if they're gonna do it let's go the opposites attract route. And if Wanda gets a new boyfriend, I would encourage Vision finding another chick to date too. Then both parties can FINALLY move on. I think Jericho is a good dude, so I think a relationship there with Wanda could work. I believe if Vision dates another sorceress that would be fine too. She'll be Wanda PART TWO without the baggage. What's Magik up to these days?
    Opposites attract is overdone and cliche though. You can have relationship conflicts and still share some things in common. It is only as boring as is written.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Opposites attract is overdone and cliche though. You can have relationship conflicts and still share some things in common. It is only as boring as is written.
    But I think it's EASIER to write. So the chances of it being done better are much higher. Like I said, I think Wanda and Voodoo would work out fine. But to me, I'd get bored if they JUST had magical adventures together. Which is what is likely to happen. I like superheroes doing things outside of superheroing, but I'm probably in the minority here. I mean do Voodoo and Wanda like books, music, cuisine, movies, fashion, art and sports? That's the stuff I'm interested in. I can't picture Jericho and Wanda going to an art gallery. I can picture Vision and Wanda (or some other girl) doing that though. I relate to that kind of thing more and it has the potential to be funny and weird.

I also don't want Vision to date another android lady. That's even MORE boring than sorcerers and sorceresses getting together. So yes, let's explore the Wanda/Jericho thing, but I think it would be good if Vision finds another girl too. Opposites attract definitely works better with Vision than Wanda though. Then everybody can be happy and move on. But I doubt Marvel Comics will ever let that happen.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.

But I think it's EASIER to write. So the chances of it being done better are much higher. Like I said, I think Wanda and Voodoo would work out fine. But to me, I'd get bored if they JUST had magical adventures together. Which is what is likely to happen. I like superheroes doing things outside of superheroing, but I'm probably in the minority here. I mean do Voodoo and Wanda like books, music, cuisine, movies, fashion, art and sports? That's the stuff I'm interested in. I can't picture Jericho and Wanda going to an art gallery. I can picture Vision and Wanda (or some other girl) doing that though. I relate to that kind of thing more and it has the potential to be funny and weird.

I also don't want Vision to date another android lady. That's even MORE boring than sorcerers and sorceresses getting together. So yes, let's explore the Wanda/Jericho thing, but I think it would be good if Vision finds another girl too. Opposites attract definitely works better with Vision than Wanda though. Then everybody can be happy and move on. But I doubt Marvel Comics will ever let that happen.
    I don't think comics should take shortcuts on writing. It's lazy and it reads like it is. If they are gonna go to the trouble of creating relationships, put some work into it. Make it good. Comics are more expensive than they've ever been. They should be better quality.

We don't know what Wanda and Jericho do and like together. Modern comics push plot more than they deeply establish most relationships.

I don't care who Vision dates, but I think he should be happy for a bit. He's had enough trauma and depression.

There was a lot that worked for Wanda and Vision in the relationship's prime, but then those differences pulled them apart. And everything else in the universe.

Wanda and Vision have moved on... they haven't attempted to get back together in over 20 years real life time. Happiness is a different thing. Marvel doesn't want anyone being happy for long.

Relationships shouldn't have to be cut and dry, white or black. There's a lot of complexity whether you share things in common or not. Marvel just needs to work on relationship writing. They are bad at both romance tales and ones about family.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I never saw Wanda and Vision as being a case of opposites attracting. They’re both serious, sincere character who are both wary and curious of a world they want to be a part of but don’t always feel they ever can be. They started out as the spawn of a villain, but never wanted to be one. When given a chance, they choose to be heroes. They both decided they wanted to have a quiet life in the suburbs to raise a family, which points to a desire for stability and peace. Hell, Vision did it twice!

To me, Wanda and Simon were opposites attract. Where Wanda is reserved in public and affectionate in private, Simon is the same person no matter the situation, boisterous and cracking wise. Where Wanda would be the kind of Broadway actor who would slip out the back after a performance and skip the after party, Simon loves Hollywood and seeks the limelight of center stage for as long as he can get it.

Jericho has a more similar temperament to Wanda in the same way Vision does, but Simon doesn’t. At least to me.

Now, someone like Strange would be a case of opposites attract to me, despite also being a magic practitioner. His personality is so different to Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I never saw Wanda and Vision as being a case of opposites attracting. They’re both serious, sincere character who are both wary and curious of a world they want to be a part of but don’t always feel they ever can be. They started out as the spawn of a villain, but never wanted to be one. When given a chance, they choose to be heroes. They both decided they wanted to have a quiet life in the suburbs to raise a family, which points to a desire for stability and peace. Hell, Vision did it twice!

To me, Wanda and Simon were opposites attract. Where Wanda is reserved in public and affectionate in private, Simon is the same person no matter the situation, boisterous and cracking wise. Where Wanda would be the kind of Broadway actor who would slip out the back after a performance and skip the after party, Simon loves Hollywood and seeks the limelight of center stage for as long as he can get it.

Jericho has a more similar temperament to Wanda in the same way Vision does, but Simon doesn’t. At least to me.

Now, someone like Strange would be a case of opposites attract to me, despite also being a magic practitioner. His personality is so different to Wanda.
    That's a great take on the relationship. Simon was a hothead at times and I never liked that relationship. He should stick to being with Beast.

I hope they never do Stephen/Wanda (ignoring that one panel Bendis wrote, because it's typical gross Bendis stuff). Let them stay friends.

I'm really pleased that the show will give Wanda and Vision a song just for them. I mentioned MANY months ago that I would love to have a theme for this couple. I've not been impressed with MCU music thus far, but by bringing these Frozen alumni to work on the series, I am cautiously optimistic about the quality of the scores here. And while I am bragging, I would just like to crow over the fact that I figured Wanda would be practicing her magic and Vision would suffer because of her growing pains. I thought she would drop a vase on his head, not a plate. I also remember seeing a ukulele on the couch, and I wondered who would be playing it. I know Olsen played some licks in I Saw The Light. I also am aware that Bettany managed to get into Jennifer Connelly's pants by playing guitar as well. Now it's been confirmed that he's gonna be playing it. I think it's great Vision has other interests besides superheroing, like an interest in music. I am happy that Wanda will have a job in WandaVision as well. Can't have her being a bum.

I'm less sure of Mephisto being the main villain of WandaVision now. It seems like the whole series appears to be dreamlike, so it's possible Nightmare is involved. Maybe both of them will show up. I've given up on ATJ appearing on WandaVision. All evidence points to Peters being Quicksilver in WandaVision. I think it will be a major cameo. I think Marvel Studios knows that Fox's Quicksilver was the most popular version of the character by far, so they'll use that version in this reality. At least they're doing right by Pietro here. But it's gotta suck for ATJ. Looking forward to seeing Olsen and Bettany this week though. I'm STILL not thrilled that in that last trailer it showed Wanda and Vision alone together and he was still adopting his human form. The only justification for that is if he adopts it ONLY if he goes outside.

It's funny, TCM will be airing one of my favorite movies on the exact SAME day that WandaVision comes out: Madame X. They don't show it often at all. If WandaVision even has a TENTH of the emotion of Madame X in it, this show will be a rousing success in my opinion.
    Evan Peters wasn't really playing Pietro tho. It was every sense a whole different character who just happened to have the same powers and later found out he was Magneto's son.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't think comics should take shortcuts on writing. It's lazy and it reads like it is. If they are gonna go to the trouble of creating relationships, put some work into it. Make it good. Comics are more expensive than they've ever been. They should be better quality.

We don't know what Wanda and Jericho do and like together. Modern comics push plot more than they deeply establish most relationships.

I don't care who Vision dates, but I think he should be happy for a bit. He's had enough trauma and depression.

There was a lot that worked for Wanda and Vision in the relationship's prime, but then those differences pulled them apart. And everything else in the universe.

Wanda and Vision have moved on... they haven't attempted to get back together in over 20 years real life time. Happiness is a different thing. Marvel doesn't want anyone being happy for long.

Relationships shouldn't have to be cut and dry, white or black. There's a lot of complexity whether you share things in common or not. Marvel just needs to work on relationship writing. They are bad at both romance tales and ones about family.
    I think you're asking a LOT out of these writers. Besides, most of them are dudes. In my experience, chicks are way better at writing romantic and family-oriented stuff. In particular, I've never liked the way Marvel writers portrayed female characters. When it comes to DC ones, they've always been more interesting in my view. This goes for the movies too. Sometimes I like Zatanna's and Raven's personalities more than Wanda's. It doesn't matter who Vision dates. It's that he does. That way Marvel can put an end to this whole will they, won't they bullshit they've been doing with Wanda and Vision for twenty years. Wanda's got Jericho, and Vision gets another girl. THE END. I do think Vision has the better chance to be happy than Wanda. He's got a daughter now, I think? If she gets a stepmom, their lives will become a literal sitcom. The family dynamic will be explored there. Wanda still has a lot of baggage and problems that are WAY harder to solve. Which makes me kind of sad because her life has become a MESS. It's pretty depressing Wanda will likely NEVER get to be a mom in the comics. I think WandaVision will portray the Scarlet Witch as being a loving and devoted mother. And that will define her character in the MCU. It's like Wanda's totally gave up on having a family in the comic books, but Vision's drive to create one remains undiminished. And it's made him a much more interesting character (in my opinion). From what I understand he's a decent dad. I think there's a lot of potential for Wanda to be good mom, but the situation with her kids is just plain weird.

I think you're asking a LOT out of these writers. Besides, most of them are dudes. In my experience, chicks are way better at writing romantic and family-oriented stuff. In particular, I've never liked the way Marvel writers portrayed female characters. When it comes to DC ones, they've always been more interesting in my view. This goes for the movies too. Sometimes I like Zatanna's and Raven's personalities more than Wanda's. It doesn't matter who Vision dates. It's that he does. That way Marvel can put an end to this whole will they, won't they bullshit they've been doing with Wanda and Vision for twenty years. Wanda's got Jericho, and Vision gets another girl. THE END. I do think Vision has the better chance to be happy than Wanda. He's got a daughter now, I think? If she gets a stepmom, their lives will become a literal sitcom. The family dynamic will be explored there. Wanda still has a lot of baggage and problems that are WAY harder to solve. Which makes me kind of sad because her life has become a MESS. It's pretty depressing Wanda will likely NEVER get to be a mom in the comics. I think WandaVision will portray the Scarlet Witch as being a loving and devoted mother. And that will define her character in the MCU. It's like Wanda's totally gave up on having a family in the comic books, but Vision's drive to create one remains undiminished. And it's made him a much more interesting character (in my opinion). From what I understand he's a decent dad. I think there's a lot of potential for Wanda to be good mom, but any children she has would age her considerably.
    At nearly $5 a pop (books that are filled halfway with ads mind you), I SHOULD ask more of them.

"Chicks" aren't any better at writing romance. Both can do it. That's a sexist assumption. Modern comics just have neglected character driven stories.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post

You make some excellent points. Thank you for sharing those interesting perspectives. Simon is pure Hollywood. Vision is more like a history professor. I think we know what kind of personality Wanda would gravitate towards. Voodoo is similar in many ways to Vision, but he's more spiritual. And more into magic. That's his shtick. I always thought Vision's interests were more varied. And maybe his personality will change in the comics after WandaVision. He looks pretty funny from what I've seen. And so does Wanda. Perhaps her personality will be altered as well. Those are changes I would welcome just as long as they stick to their values as heroes.