Page 111 of 774 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211611 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post

Love these covers

Choose one

An actual Romani witch hates Wandavision:
    https://www.mic.com/p/as-a-romani-wi...ision-63495123

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    There's a lot of problems with how they have handled Wanda's Roma ethnicity both in comics and in the movies. The biggest one for me is dark magic. Because what Reidy does is really divination and natural healing remedies and isn't the same thing. Where dark magic is completely forbidden. There are a lot of times that I wish they'd create other Roma characters that don't have the stereotypes linked to them, and separate Wanda out.

I enjoy the character and liked that they at least made a Roma character heroic, but there for sure are a lot of problems to unpack.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Well, I've said it before, but they should have just kept them as European.

In Lithuania, (one half of my heritage) the population was Pagan long after they were Christianized in the 13th century. My wife who is 100 % Polish had a grandmother who was considered a Witch back there. We're not talking the Wiccan stuff either. Old World Witches. Once I heard enough about her I knew it was most likely true.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Well, I've said it before, but they should have just kept them as European.

In Lithuania, (one half of my heritage) the population was Pagan long after they were Christianized in the 13th century. My wife who is 100 % Polish had a grandmother who was considered a Witch back there. We're not talking the Wiccan stuff either. Old World Witches. Once I heard enough about her I knew it was most likely true.
    Did Disney ever actually confirm that Pietro and Wanda were Romani in the MCU? I had always assumed them to be "Southern" or "Eastern" European.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Did Disney ever actually confirm that Pietro and Wanda were Romani in the MCU? I had always assumed them to be "Southern" or "Eastern" European.
    They are supposed to be in the movies. It was in the scripts, but never made it into the movies or the show. They talked recently that Wanda's costume was supposed to be a "Gypsy Fortune Teller," but then they changed it to Sokovian. Which doesn't totally clean up their intent. Comics and movies need to get more Romani involved to clean up some of the stereotypes and bad depictions.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They are supposed to be in the movies. It was in the scripts, but never made it into the movies or the show. They talked recently that Wanda's costume was supposed to be a "Gypsy Fortune Teller," but then they changed it to Sokovian. Which doesn't totally clean up their intent. Comics and movies need to get more Romani involved to clean up some of the stereotypes and bad depictions.
    Oh, I didn't know that. The fortune teller stuff was pretty cringey I must say. I was surprised that the show actually did that. It wasn't necessary. I doubt that Marvel Studios will hire Romani consultants for their projects. Just like I don't think they will hire Native American consultants for their movies and shows either. Both groups are pretty small in population, and I don't think Disney cares about how they are portrayed unfortunately.

Oh, I didn't know that. The fortune teller stuff was pretty cringey I must say. I was surprised that the show actually did that. It wasn't necessary. I doubt that Marvel Studios will hire Romani consultants for their projects. Just like I don't think they will hire Native American consultants for their movies and shows either. Both groups are pretty small in population, and I don't think Disney cares about how they are portrayed unfortunately.
    There is a group the comics consulted for a time by the name of Romapop, but they went silent in recent years. I think after the PAD thing. Maybe the relationship went sour. But Marvel could easily reach out if they want to find actors, writers, etc. Entertainment in Romani groups is very common and there are several actors who have been in films and stage. Some that Jessica Reidy mentioned. And Jessica herself is also a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There is a group the comics consulted for a time by the name of Romapop, but they went silent in recent years. I think after the PAD thing. Maybe the relationship went sour. But Marvel could easily reach out if they want to find actors, writers, etc. Entertainment in Romani groups is very common and there are several actors who have been in films and stage. Some that Jessica Reidy mentioned. And Jessica herself is also a writer.
    Hmm. I didn't know that! The most famous Roma entertainer to my knowledge is Django Reinhardt. Just like the most famous Egyptian entertainer that I know is Omar Sharif. Wouldn't have minded seeing Ms. Reidy in the MCU. I don't think she'd have any objections to making out with Paul Bettany! For a guy who absolutely DESPISES romances in superhero films, I'm actually hoping things get more amorous again in the last couple of episodes. I know this series is meant to be a dark and mature one, but I definitely miss the innocence and carefree times of the earlier episodes now. Looking back, they had so much fun. I'm sad they were estranged for a while, but that DOES reflect what happened in the comic books. As a viewer, I appreciate the two of them savoring the limited time they have together.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that Reidy doesn't like Scarlet Witch in general given her half-romani representation in Marvel, being rather poor and that being true for several other characters of similar culture reference nor Olsen's use of the g-word aside from just the show.

Especially as a white women, even though Wanda is a white women. Despite being half romani in the comics.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 02-25-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that Reidy doesn't like Scarlet Witch in general given her half-romani representation in Marvel, being rather poor and that being true for several other characters of similar culture reference nor Olsen's use of the g-word aside from just the show.

Especially as a white women, even though Wanda is a white women. Despite being half romani in the comics.
    Yeah comics don't handle ethnicity visually well either. Ronald Wimberly wrote about that https://imgur.com/gallery/L11IO#1Gp5GZb

Hmm. I didn't know that! The most famous Roma entertainer to my knowledge is Django Reinhardt. Just like the most famous Egyptian entertainer that I know is Omar Sharif. Wouldn't have minded seeing Ms. Reidy in the MCU. I don't think she'd have any objections to making out with Paul Bettany! For a guy who absolutely DESPISES romances in superhero films, I'm actually hoping things get more amorous again in the last couple of episodes. I know this series is meant to be a dark and mature one, but I definitely miss the innocence and carefree times of the earlier episodes now. Looking back, they had so much fun. I'm sad they were estranged for a while, but that DOES reflect what happened in the comic books. As a viewer, I appreciate the two of them savoring the limited time they have together.
    Reidy isn't an actress herself but a writer. But Mihaela Dragan, Zita Moldovan, Farkas Franciska, Alina Serban and others are.

Isn't the romani thing a retcon anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Isn't the romani thing a retcon anyway?
    They never went into their background much before the Romani part was established. They did make the Franks their parents, but that didn't make sense because the Franks were American. So they changed it again. They've been Romani a lot longer than they haven't (mid-70s on) and have never written it out. Actually made it more apparent. So with that comes some responsibility. They based them on a real group of people (Roma), so the depiction should be at least an attempt at accuracy and not the stereotypes. But even in Wanda's solo, they make her being a witch a hereditary thing.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 02-25-2021 at 02:15 PM.