Page 16 of 774 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116516 ... LastLast

Sorry for the delays in replying. Lots of world events have consumed my attention in the past couple of days. WandaVision is getting some love from the Gray Lady:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/a...l-bettany.html

Even Feige said the WandaVision romance was really REALLY rushed here. So I'm definitely not alone in thinking that way.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-08-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Yeah, sadly Wanda and Vision are too apart to ever come back together in the comics.
    I agree it is dated and I always found the idea that you have to be the same as the character you are writing (Black characters should only be written by Black writers for example) in order to be good ridiculous and a clear example of positive discrimination
    I agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    A lot of the typical stuff from certain industries is based on a lot of stereotypes anyway. So it makes it harder for people not expected to get into certain careers. That says nothing about ability though. And the audience it appeals to doesn't either. Comics themselves started out as romance oriented. And we aren't even talking about them turning into romance novels anyway. But just having relationships, not even just romantic ones, be the focus. I absolutely believe writers of all genders are capable of understanding and writing relationships. Good or bad writers do not have a typical descriptor. You are gonna get good and bad from every type of person.

Lots of characters have relationships, platonic or not. And people typically love those links. They make the characters more well rounded. They create progression and growth. They can be detrimental if written bad or just because that relationship is coming to an end. But there's a lot of story that can come from relationships. And with comics having had that before, it's absolutely in their wheel house.
    You make many valid and legitimate points. I agree women can write fellow shittily. Men definitely can write other men badly too. I enjoy stories that focus on plot, but when stories focus on characters I like it even more. I just think superhero movies don't do romance well. There's just not enough time for that because SO many other things are going on. I do think WandaVision will change that though since they are calling this series a "romance". I personally think MCU writers have struggled with writing romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'm sure Whedon knew about Simon, but he had 2 hours and he's not going to waste that setting up Simon. Originally he wanted Janet van Dyne, played by Morena Baccarin, to be his Wasp in the movie but that was let go once filming began. And it's the MCU things aren't the same, part of what changed Hank Pym not being there, if they even wanted him there's as because Edgar Wright had dibs on him for Ant-man. Except Wanda is very close to the twins in the comics, she's routinely there for them as a gust star in Avengers comics and recently Billy's husband defended her against Krkaao via diplomat in SWORD. Read Ewing's New Avengers, I think in her recent solo she helped Billy plan his wedding.

Wrong, men write romance in romance books. They're rare and many use female aliases because people are turned off by men writing those books. Nakia was incredible in Black panther, I could see why he'd want her to be his queen and they had chemistry together. The Bruce/Nat romance was a dud, but the movie behind the scenes was a train wreck. Whedon was burnt out for working on the MCU for years between Avengers films. Just because Vision didn't rescue Wanda himself didn't mean he didn't care about her, clearly he does but it's Cap's film so he gets that task. Their relationship is mostly done off-screen, which is why they're much closer together by Infinite War. It's hardly been a fast relationship, it's been built up over multiple films with ups and downs and neither got them are allowed to be centre stage. Was their relationship rushed in the comics? They were together for years on again and off again, got married, had children. Most super-heroes don't have relationships that last that long. Writers had to to absurd lengths to break them apart. Lois Lane barely started dating Clark in Man of Steel, they just met over a couple days in that movie. Just because many male writers don't do good romance don't write off the entire gender, and there are eight writers on Wanda Vision, what's difficult is to find who they are so I don't know if any are men. The other shows will have romance, as well, and you can bet they hired male writers for those shows. I don't expect much romance form Falcon and Winter Solider but Ms. Marvel. Yes. She-Hulk? Yes. Moon Knight? Yes.
    I think half of the writers on WandaVision are male. Maybe they'll be writing for Vision? I guess you can make the argument Cap had to rescue his fellow Avengers and not Vision. But I just felt there wasn't much romance going on between Vision and Wanda in Civil War and I thought things got REAL fast between then and Infinity War. Practically everything happened off-screen as you said. I thought Black Panther had enough women to deal with in addition to a former love interest. And men write romance novels? That's news to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Those things he said weren't scoops. People were just asking his thoughts on Twitter and he said what he thinks might happen, but it was far from being any confirmation. Like the Evan Peters thing, he never said he would be playing Quicksilver; he simply said ''or Quicksilver'' when someone suggested Evan could be playing Nightmare. When Charles wants to actually reveal a scoop, he posts it on his website.
    I changed my mind a few weeks ago about Mephisto and Quicksilver. I thought for sure Mephisto would show up, but now I'm thinking it's more likely Nightmare appears at this point. And I do believe Peters will play Quicksilver in WandaVision. I think ATJ is done with the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    They have the same "brainwave pattern", Vision technically has Simon's mental structure, but without any of his memories.
    It's like if you take an adult and purge all of his memories, but some of his habits/instincts from his former self remains. Vision has the result of some of Simon's traits without himself knowing why.
    Very interesting and very complicated. Thank you for the explanation.

I'm liking how Wanda is being portrayed in the trailers thus far. She's very funny and easygoing. Seems really nice too. Vision is funny as well, but a little bit wimpy. According to WandaVision director Matt Shakman:

"It was extremely important to me that we didn't do the lazy thing of having a superpowered woman who can't control her powers and go crazy."
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-08-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I think half of the writers on WandaVision are male. Maybe they'll be writing for Vision? I guess you can make the argument Cap had to rescue his fellow Avengers and not Vision. But I just felt there wasn't much romance going on between Vision and Wanda in Civil War and I thought things got REAL fast between then and Infinity War. Practically everything happened off-screen as you said. I thought Black Panther had enough women to deal with in addition to a former love interest. And men write romance novels? That's news to me!
    There's a lot of off-screen relationship development in the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm liking how Wanda is being portrayed in the trailers thus far. She's very funny and easygoing. Seems really nice too. Vision is funny as well, but a little bit wimpy. According to WandaVision director Matt Shakman:

"It was extremely important to me that we didn't do the lazy thing of having a superpowered woman who can't control her powers and go crazy."
    Practically calling out the comics writers .

Last edited by Cruelrain; 01-08-2021 at 02:41 PM.

According to Total Film Magazine, WandaVision is inspired by the 3rd edition of "Scarlet Witch".

In the edit, a wizard named Emerald Warlock is looking at Wanda and discovers that there is much more to her family's history than she knows.

Remember that the president of marketing of Disney posted a picture of the Scarlet Witch comic series from 2016 exactly the issue #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    According to Total Film Magazine, WandaVision is inspired by the 3rd edition of "Scarlet Witch".

In the edit, a wizard named Emerald Warlock is looking at Wanda and discovers that there is much more to her family's history than she knows.

Remember that the president of marketing of Disney posted a picture of the Scarlet Witch comic series from 2016 exactly the issue #4
    Was that the "Irish" issue of the series?

Extraordinary Member

When or where did Shakman say that?

Edit: OK, I found it, it was in Total Film.

Very reassuring to hear them say that they aren't doing the thing every Scarlet Witch fan was worried about.

Full context from the article:

Key to understanding the show’s bigger connection to the MCU is the character of Wanda herself. The series borrows from comic storylines including The Vision (2015), Witches’ Road (Scarlet Witch Vol 2 #3, 2016) and House of M (2005), but they’re redrawn to take her into a wholly unexpected new direction. “It was extremely important to me that we not do the lazy thing of having a superpowered lady who can’t handle her powers and goes crazy,” says [Jac] Schaeffer. “It was all about being as authentic as we could with her.”

Adds Shakman, “We’re telling the story of Wanda becoming the comicbook character that most of us have heard about. One of the things that makes her such an interesting character is that she’s suffered more than anyoneelse. She’s lost her parents, she’s lost her brother and she’s lost Vision. This story explores grief, and how we heal.”
    Last edited by gurkle; 01-08-2021 at 02:38 PM.

The Hollywood Reporter recommends which books to read before WandaVision airs:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...re-wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    When or where did Shakman say that?
    I think it was excerpts from the Total Film Magazine piece on WandaVision.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's a lot of off-screen relationship development in the MCU.

Practically calling out the comics writers .
    Maybe it's better to be dealt with off-screen because the on-screen stuff has been pretty cringey.

Comic book writers are not gonna be happy that one of their favorite tropes is being challenged. I think that's Schaeffer's "feminism" revealing itself right there. A feminism in which she has been criticized in the past for.