Page 21 of 774 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121521 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Which animated Wanda was the best representation of her? She should've been in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I have only seen the first three. WATXM has the most accurate and fleshed out personality, but she really did need to be on EMH with her fellow Avengers. The Animated one only showed up for one episode, but her costume, hair, and distrust of Magneto was on point. However, there was no mention of her Avengers ties or magic, just straight probability manipulation. Evolution was so completely unlike her, and I can’t help but feel that portrayal contributed to the image of Wanda as being a mentally unstable, too powerful woman with daddy issues. The show literally had Magneto brainwash her into forgetting she hated him for his abuse, and the narrative never has Magneto punished for this or Wanda breaking free. It’s pretty awful, all the more because it handwaves the ethical implications away.

I would love to see Wanda in a new Marvel cartoon that was faithful to her depiction in 616 and was respectful to her, instead of the fetishized mentally ill goth chick we got in Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I have only seen the first three. WATXM has the most accurate and fleshed out personality, but she really did need to be on EMH with her fellow Avengers. The Animated one only showed up for one episode, but her costume, hair, and distrust of Magneto was on point. However, there was no mention of her Avengers ties or magic, just straight probability manipulation. Evolution was so completely unlike her, and I can’t help but feel that portrayal contributed to the image of Wanda as being a mentally unstable, too powerful woman with daddy issues. The show literally had Magneto brainwash her into forgetting she hated him for his abuse, and the narrative never has Magneto punished for this or Wanda breaking free. It’s pretty awful, all the more because it handwaves the ethical implications away.

I would love to see Wanda in a new Marvel cartoon that was faithful to her depiction in 616 and was respectful to her, instead of the fetishized mentally ill goth chick we got in Evolution.
    Agreed on Evolution. It was very problematic and not very accurate.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    X-Men Evolution nailed her Probability Manipulation

Wolverine and the X-Men the best look

She was really good in this show as well

It's kind of hilarious to think her being on the Super Hero Squad was the closest she's been to being an Avenger in a modern Marvel cartoon.

I remember that episode where she time travels and gets stuck in the Salem Witch Trials.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Those people that did that are not the people to try to appease, full stop. They should be shunned and/or arrested at every turn when they do something like that.

And I don't think comics are politically toxic. There's a lot of good stories there. Most of the people that complained were doing so about the idea of the stories. That's why so many believe RiRi replaced Iron Man when Doctor Doom was Iron Man then. They read an article and react, not the actual comics.

Despite all their complaints, movies have still sold, stories still go on. And they should.
    Oh yeah, I agree violence and terror should never be appeased. I get that. I just think Disney has to cater to a lot of different audiences. Some are progressive, some are conservative. I think Marvel Studios has done a good job of balancing those two groups.

I don't think the comic books THEMSELVES are particularly politically toxic. It's the discussion ABOUT them that has gotten really poisonous. Something I never encountered in the 90s. The idea that Marvel going woke will lead them to go broke. Same thing with Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond, Harry Potter etc. I've seen some REALLY nasty stuff being said after learning about Comics Gate. I compare it to the nastiness over the whole kneeling for the national anthem thing with the NFL. Quite vitriolic. I do think the comics are pretty progressive because generally speaking people with artistic tendencies have more liberal views of the world. And I'm totally fine with that. I DO think politics will probably prevent the Punisher from formally joining the MCU, though. When I was reading comics in the 90s, he was enormously popular and I think he still is. But because many fans of his hold extreme right-wing views, I just think Disney would be afraid to use him. Wanda and Vision have baggage, but not THAT kind of baggage. Although I guess in the comics, Wanda committed some atrocities? But let's face it, plenty of non-MCU Marvel movies and the DCEU have many superheroes who commit what I consider to be crimes against humanity in their films.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-09-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    MCU has a good track record, they worse movie are still better rated than DC worse ones.
    I think a lot of DC movies are complete garbage in my opinion. They should just adapt DC cartoons for their movies.

And to be fair, the MCU movies never get demolished by critics like DC does, so we could say the MCU has a better track record
    I don't generally like DCEU movies, because you know, I have a brain. I hate seeing Superman and Batman become straight-up murderers. I know some of the folks they fight are bad people, but in their movies they actually WANT to kill them, not because they HAVE to. I really despise that.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-09-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    IKR, this is great news with heading into a new series you want to have a Majorly Positive Kicking off with early reviews and to have Any Comparisons with it being on the level of The Mandalorion in story and importance to the franchise is a high honor if they reach that!

And the good reviews of even the reviews keep on coming, LOVING ALL OF THIS for our Wanda!!!

I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic at this point. Early reviews can be deceptive. But I actually think the sitcom stuff will be a STRENGTH for this series. The MCU has GOT to do different things or else it will go stale. I'm getting a little bit weary of the third acts of MCU movies becoming crappy CGI-fests that look like Final Fantasy cutscenes from the early 2000s. I don't mind Wanda doing some fighting and being a badass, but I would also like her to solve problems with her intellect as well. I don't think saving the world from robots, aliens, and demons is all that heroic. If you're a superhero, you're SUPPOSED to do that. And those kind of stories feel really shallow and superficial to me, and they've been done so many times before. I'd rather Wanda save one person than the entire universe. I would relate to that more and it would be far more realistic in my opinion. So far in the movies, she's made some tough decisions. To me, that's heroism. So two thumbs up there. And I do believe with her background, Olsen works REALLY well in a sitcom world. As for the romance angle with Vision, I think it's definitely working in her favor. Because the relationship is truly weird and unconventional. That makes it work. My issue is that Bettany is human-looking so often. I know he probably hates putting on make-up, but I think for WandaVision to achieve its full potential, he has to maintain his android form as much as possible. Maybe not in public or in the presence of other people. But for him to stay looking human while in the privacy of their own home...Is ridiculous. And that's a deviation from the source material which I really don't like.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-09-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree violence and terror should never be appeased. I get that. I just think Disney has to cater to a lot of different audiences. Some are progressive, some are conservative. I think Marvel Studios has done a good job of balancing those two groups.

I don't think the comic books THEMSELVES are particularly politically toxic. It's the discussion ABOUT them that has gotten really poisonous. Something I never encountered in the 90s. The idea that Marvel going woke will lead them to go broke. Same thing with Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond, Harry Potter etc. I've seen some REALLY nasty stuff being said after learning about Comics Gate. I compare it to the nastiness over the whole kneeling for the national anthem thing with the NFL. Quite vitriolic. I do think the comics are pretty progressive because generally speaking people with artistic tendencies have more liberal views of the world. And I'm totally fine with that. I DO think politics will probably prevent the Punisher from formally joining the MCU, though. When I was reading comics in the 90s, he was enormously popular and I think he still is. But because many fans of his hold extreme right-wing views, I just think Disney would be afraid to use him. Wanda and Vision have baggage, but not THAT kind of baggage. Although I guess in the comics, Wanda committed some atrocities? But let's face it, plenty of non-MCU Marvel movies and the DCEU have many superheroes who commit what I consider to be crimes against humanity in their films.
    There is a difference between conservative and extremists. I know sometimes lines feel like they are blurred but there were a lot of people on both sides that condemned that kind of behavior. So no, Disney really doesn't need to cater to them. The less they do, the better off everyone is, because them being given a platform lead to this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of hilarious to think her being on the Super Hero Squad was the closest she's been to being an Avenger in a modern Marvel cartoon.

I remember that episode where she time travels and gets stuck in the Salem Witch Trials.
    That cartoon was such a joy. My nephews loved playing the online game too.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

X-Men Evolution nailed her Probability Manipulation

Wolverine and the X-Men the best look

She was really good in this show as well

I’ve seen the show title in the marvel section of D+. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There is a difference between conservative and extremists. I know sometimes lines feel like they are blurred but there were a lot of people on both sides that condemned that kind of behavior. So no, Disney really doesn't need to cater to them. The less they do, the better off everyone is, because them being given a platform lead to this mess.
    I'm torn. Definitely Disney should not pander to extremists. And I do believe people should not be allowed to spread hate and disinformation and to promote violence. But I really believe in the freedom of speech. And sometimes suppressing things can cause a lot of problems too. Basically, I have no answers. But I have to say I was stunned by how many people hold such radical views after witnessing the events of the past few days. I mean, not folks actually engaging in terroism (a small number), but actually totally disregarding democracy itself (a FAR larger number). That shocked me.

And I do think Disney wants to grow its audience all over the world. Many parts of Latin America, the Far East, the Middle East and Africa are REALLY conservative. It certainly makes sense for Marvel Studios not to antagonize potential customers of theirs who hold more "traditional" views. I guess that's a form of "appeasement", but I understand Disney wants to make money so they have to make compromises sometimes. I'm not supporting that stance, but I kind of get why they are doing that. There is no way in hell Wanda will have kids out of wedlock in WandaVision. It's just impossible. I was totally stunned that Wanda and Vision were SLEEPING TOGETHER in Infinity War and they weren't even married yet!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-09-2021 at 10:28 PM.

I'm torn. Definitely Disney should not pander to extremists. And I do believe people should not be allowed to spread hate and disinformation and to promote violence. But I really believe in the freedom of speech. And sometimes suppressing things can cause a lot of problems too. Basically, I have no answers. But I have to say I was stunned by how many people hold such radical views after witnessing the events of the past few days. I mean, not folks actually engaging in terroism (a small number), but actually totally disregarding democracy itself (a FAR larger number). That shocked me.

And I do think Disney wants to grow its audience all over the world. Many parts of Latin America, the Far East, the Middle East and Africa are REALLY conservative. It certainly makes sense for Marvel Studios not to antagonize potential customers of theirs who hold more "traditional" views. I guess that's a form of "appeasement", but I understand Disney wants to make money so they have to make compromises sometimes. I'm not supporting that stance, but I kind of get why they are doing that. There is no way in hell Wanda will have kids out of wedlock in WandaVision. It's just impossible.
    Freedom of Speech has never included threatening, hurting nor doxxing people online. The current extremist movement that also goes into the "woke sjw" bs started with gamergate and comicsgate. They aren't owed a platform. Freedom of Speech doesn't even protect that. They can't be arrested for speaking out against their government. But threats and all that aren't covered.

The only thing they need is a firm dose of reality.

Out of wedlock pregnancies haven't been controversial since the 80s. And that isn't Wanda's situation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wolverine and the X-Men is my favorite. Kate Higgins is my ideal Wanda voice.
    I would like to see Wanda smile a little bit more in those cartoons. I know she's got a big heart, and I think the animated shows should portray that.

I would like to see Wanda smile a little bit more in those cartoons. I know she's got a big heart, and I think the animated shows should portray that.
    Magneto and Wolverine hardly smile either. She is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I’ve seen the show title in the marvel section of D+. Is it any good?
    It's more set for children, I have not seen much of it tbh, just a compilation scenes of Wanda

Here's the video i'm talking about, The version of this Wanda starts at the minute 3:37