Page 239 of 774 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339739 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ok even with Romani heritage miss Maximoff has always been whitepassing has she not? So again what are these people bitching about I don't get it.
    Some Roma doesn't have dark skin because they are mixed, on comics the skin is very white.

Incredible Member

Ok even with Romani heritage miss Maximoff has always been whitepassing has she not? So again what are these people bitching about I don't get it.
    Even if she's whitepassing, her ethnic heritage was a significant part of her history. It's the reason why she became a wandering orphan in the first place. Her original loving family was murdered in a racist attack.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    No, it isn't. We already saw mr Sinister is about to betray them and Omega red already betrayed them by helping vampires;
    So if thy can accept a nazi but not a heroic woman, that says a lot about how x-men are twisted morals
    Agreed

Because Romani people lack visibility in popular media?

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    No, it isn't. We already saw mr Sinister is about to betray them and Omega red already betrayed them by helping vampires;
    So if thy can accept a nazi but not a heroic woman, that says a lot about how x-men are twisted morals
    They are actually expecting Sinister betrayal and that´s why they allowed him into their own, Moira told them he would betray them with the sentinels so my guess is they are just expecting the other shoe to drop in his case. It´s a different case with Wanda because I think they trust her despite themselves to act on the earths behald during a crisis, despite having their reservations about her, this doesn´t mean Wanda wants to live with them the way Sinister obviously wants.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Even Wanda's OG kids are a weird case, like where did their chromosome come from? Wanda cannot provide all of them since she doesn't have a Y chromosome.
    Are they even genetically related to Wanda? (Like, Wanda got pregnant from New Salem's energy, did she even have active egg cells present?)

Extraordinary Member

She was technically white before 1979 , her being whitepassing is probably just artists carrying over the art style. (You could argue her being white passing since she can be confused as a white American couple's child.)

Extraordinary Member

Can someone help me I keep seeing this story how Wanda & the Twins (Billy & Tommy) were white washed in the MCU. TF does that mean? Like am I stupid are they not already white i don't get it as a black man myself I hate whitewashing as much as the next dude but with Wanda, Billy, Tommy, & even Pietro I don't see it!! When has Wanda not been white? What are these people talking about!?!
    Basically, while Wanda and Pietro were originally white Eastern Europeans, and have almost always been drawn that way, they are best known as the children of Magneto and Magda, who were portrayed as Jewish and Romani, respecitively (though this wasn't actually established about Magda until the second "Vision & the Scarlet Witch" series from 1985-6). Combined with how the Busiek/Pérez run played up her being raised by Django and Marya Maximoff. So when Elizabeth Olsen was announced as the choice for MCU Wanda, there was some feeling among fans that she and Pietro should have been played by ethnically Roma actors.

Obviously at this point Elizabeth Olsen is not getting recast, and comics Wanda has so many different parents that adding another pair in the form of Oleg and Irena Maximoff isn't much of a stretch, but if people value that aspect of the character's heritage and want to see it represented, they have the right to be disappointed. It's not exactly about skin color, though some artists/colorists try to make Wanda darker than others, it's more about ethnicity and background.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Even if she's whitepassing, her ethnic heritage was a significant part of her history. It's the reason why she became a wandering orphan in the first place. Her original loving family was murdered in a racist attack.
    I mean, their foster parents are Romani and that's why they became the target of racist attack.
    Wanda and Pietro didn't necessarily have to be romani, but I get what you mean.

All Romani in western media are white or played by white because the ones putting Romani in stories don't realize that Romani are not white, aren't treated as white. Most have darker features. You don't get it because your exposure is based on mislead depictions.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The thing is bashing someone for their hairstyle is just more about judging women for their looks.
    It could be, but the internet is also harsh on everyone's looks, so that's hard to tell. But Karen originally was not about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    She was technically white before 1979 , her being whitepassing is probably just artists carrying over the art style. (You could argue her being white passing since she can be confused as a white American couple's child.)
    I'd believe this if absolutely every western depiction of Romani weren't of white people pretending. And with some thinking it's simply a lifestyle, it's no wonder to me why. After they decided to change her and several other comics characters, they had a responsibility. Something that comics and western media have failed continuously and it's never gotten better. Worse in some cases.

Because people thinking these whitewashed stereotypes being actually Romani has and does impact people's views of the many groups and at the least is something that always has to be corrected, and at worst is a reason people hate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Basically, while Wanda and Pietro were originally white Eastern Europeans, and have almost always been drawn that way, they are best known as the children of Magneto and Magda, who were portrayed as Jewish and Romani, respecitively (though this wasn't actually established about Magda until the second "Vision & the Scarlet Witch" series from 1985-6). Combined with how the Busiek/Pérez run played up her being raised by Django and Marya Maximoff. So when Elizabeth Olsen was announced as the choice for MCU Wanda, there was some feeling among fans that she and Pietro should have been played by ethnically Roma actors.

Obviously at this point Elizabeth Olsen is not getting recast, and comics Wanda has so many different parents that adding another pair in the form of Oleg and Irena Maximoff isn't much of a stretch, but if people value that aspect of the character's heritage and want to see it represented, they have the right to be disappointed. It's not exactly about skin color, though some artists/colorists try to make Wanda darker than others, it's more about ethnicity and background.

Oleg and Irina are functionally Django and Marya though.
    And honestly my gripe with "purist" fans is often about being practical. Like Wanda is not an super A-lister with no worries about media presence. At this point MCU is like the only helpful media presence she had.

So while I think people should be critical of the whitewashing in MCU, they also have to realize the condition of Wanda's character as a whole and why she needs relevance and popularity generated by MCU.
    And seriously I am rather distrustful of people who dragged MCU Wanda way too often than necessary, and sometimes they have X-characters as avatars and they probably demand Wanda to be back to theit glorious franchise or something. Just my personal observation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

It's somewhat about skin color. And it's not because Wanda is saddled with that misrepresentation exclusively. It's that no character considered Romani in western media is depicted as darker than beige. Despite most Romani not being light skinned. There are white look Romani. It's just not in the majority. But it's in the majority of these depictions, slapped with stereotypes to boot and in Wanda's case, this gross depiction of having a Roma character commit genocide when they likely know what happened to Romani people during the Holocaust.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I'd believe this if absolutely every western depiction of Romani weren't of white people pretending. And with some thinking it's simply a lifestyle, it's no wonder to me why. After they decided to change her and several other comics characters, they had a responsibility. Something that comics and western media have failed continuously and it's never gotten better. Worse in some cases.
    Yeah, pretty much like every western pop culture.
    The comics' idea of "being romani" back then may be way different from the actual deal.
    And the just life style part kinda reminds me of Dick Grayson's retcon.