Page 312 of 774 FirstFirst ... 212262302308309310311312313314315316322362412 ... LastLast
Results 4,666 to 4,680 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wanda's bringing back Simon wasn't really played as a huge magical feat. It was based on a bunch of factors including the fact that he might not have been completely dead to begin with, and he had already died and come back before as a being of pure ionic energy (which is why he couldn't have kids). The comics explain this in more detail, but basically, when his ionic form was "killed" he wasn't completely dead, and he wound up sort of in limbo between life and death until Wanda called him back. What she did was pull him back fully into the land of the living, not make a totally dead person alive out of thin air.

Her revival of Vision in the TV series is a much bigger feat, since she re-created him out of nothing but her memory of him. But the comics version just was never that powerful.
    Yeah it was played up as the power of love.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I had to get the figure through Entertainment Earth because it's already sold out on Amazon.
    Thanks So, SO Much for that page GenericUsername, I just pre-ordered 2 of them, Excited!!!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah it was played up as the power of love.
    I love the power of love in Film and Anime, always brings out the best moments and showing of power in stories!

It reminds me of moments like these when Love Lights our Darkest Hour!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Thanks So, SO Much for that page GenericUsername, I just pre-ordered 2 of them, Excited!!!
    Very nice! It's being released a lot sooner than a lot of the stuff too. I think the Cosbaby was May, but it sold out immediately. Sadly I did not get one in my cart in time. The rest of the stuff is later in the year. The Ulta cosmetic bag was the only thing released immediately of the things I've bought.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I love the power of love in Film and Anime, always brings out the best moments and showing of power in stories!

It reminds me of moments like these when Love Lights our Darkest Hour!

Wasn't expecting The Touch in a Wanda thread.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Look, as you probably know that I have become extremely enamored of the idea of magic having costs in fantasy. I learned from the Strange threads I mostly frequent these days, that it was a concept introduced by Jason Aaron in the Strange books in 2015. I know folks here don't seem to like Aaron's writing, but I think it's very important for Marvel to embrace the growing movement to have magic have a price in fiction because the fantasy genre has already largely embraced it. So I think Aaron deserves credit for bringing it to attention in the comics. I honestly don't understand why comic book fans have such a beef with this simple rule. I think it's great!

I remember when Wanda brought back Simon from death in the 90s. Folks here know I HATE people being brought back from the dead in fiction. I think it's an absolute failure in storytelling. I think reviving the dead using "magic" is the ultimate feat for a magic user. But when Wanda brought Simon back, it didn't cost her jack ****! I mean, there were NO consequences for her actions. Even in comic books, I think bringing people back from the dead should be a pretty big fucking deal. In regards to Wonder Man, he actually came back stronger than before. Sure, he couldn't have kids after his revival, but he never wanted them anyways, so I don't consider that a penalty. And he just resumed his life right where he left off before he was killed. And Wanda got what she wanted and basically became a goddess by doing what she did. I have nothing against Simon, if she revived other characters in the same way, I would still be miffed. I can't believe people would accept that kind of storytelling today. Magic should have costs, rules, limitations, logic and consistency. Any arguments against those things are just bullshit as far as I'm concerned. I'm delighted that the Strange books are now addressing the costs of magic head on in recent years.

https://screenrant.com/marvel-comic-...ge-magic-lost/

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-hands-magic-spell/

I'm really glad that Feige and the execs at Marvel Studios are incorporating the costs of using magic in the movies.
    You may have overlocked something, or maybe you haven’t read it, which would be understandable, given that there are hundreds of Avengers comics. Some issues later there were huge repercussions, something something about it having weakened the boundary between the dead and the living, which almost caused the end of the world! Been a while since I read that, maybe some here can explain that better than I.

I like these kind of consequences for the use of powerful magic much more then just some generic “cost” like in the Scarlet Witch solo or in Doctor Strange’s more recent runs.

Anyone who thinks that Wanda has not faced any cost has not read her. He stopped reading long ago. And really wants comics changed for a hobby he's no longer into participating in. I tried explaining that Wanda has had a lot of cost to using magic. Her very powers have the potential to have cost to them.

I don't know what else to post and for sure am not gonna go into everything over the years.

He should start reading himself if he wants examples. He's even been given links to comics that have dealt with magic cost.

He's been also told that Wanda was not using her own powers but tapping into Simon's ionic powers. It feels like a conversation in circles.

I feel like even if I posted issue to issue examples, it wouldn't be enough.

Wanda has had the most cost of any character to her powers. She's lost literally everything. Even been possessed by it.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I don't understand the obssesion with "cost", or cost as in bad thing happening in exchange for a miracles.
    Like seriously, what is a mage's cost for casting spells? Think of a video game, it's MAGICKA BAR. Yeah, it's mystical energy and whatever that fits in that world.(Metal powder in Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson if you feel like having some "hard magic system" examples.)
    For more complicated stuff there need to be rituals and preparations, or say some buffs from outside.
    In Simon's case Wanda put into much more emotional turmoil really, and honestly I just don't understand the point of this obssession really, and of course the fact the lack of understanding or reading of said stories in general.

Magik and Scarlet Witchery from Miguel Mercado with a variant for STRANGE ACADEMY 11 for Unknown Comics

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Honestly I don't understand the obssesion with "cost", or cost as in bad thing happening in exchange for a miracles.
    Like seriously, what is a mage's cost for casting spells? Think of a video game, it's MAGICKA BAR. Yeah, it's mystical energy and whatever that fits in that world.(Metal powder in Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson if you feel like having some "hard magic system" examples.)
    For more complicated stuff there need to be rituals and preparations, or say some buffs from outside.
    In Simon's case Wanda put into much more emotional turmoil really, and honestly I just don't understand the point of this obssession really, and of course the fact the lack of understanding or reading of said stories in general.
    I guess maybe the best way for him to look at this is: YES, magic does have a cost, both black and white magic, albeit black having potentially more risk. Now, that being said, in Marvel Comics, this "cost" is not shown nor talked about EVERY time a mystical action is performed. Unlike other books, games, universes, sources, etc, which may indeed bring in "the cost of doing magic" before every spell is cast, the MU is not about that. It does not tend to get bogged down with those things. In that, just sit back and enjoy the ride!

As CJ Striker quoted me a few pages back, yes, I do feel that every reader needs to do their own readings to LEARN, LEARN, LEARN about the character. With that, powers, history, team affiliations, background, etc will become known. We can tell things on here, but there is no substitute for doing your own homework. (Points index finger at everyone! But have no fear, no Hex Power was released. )

Another GREAT way to LEARN, LEARN, LEARN about characters----epecially and specifically Wanda----is to go back to her beginnings! Simple. Now, we all have a wonderful resource here with CJ Striker doing his Wanda review, which did indeed go back to her beginning! And with future postings, you will learn how Wanda has progressed in her powers. For example, as I pointed out a few months back---and which we will see as CJ does more Reviews---Wanda went from a 1 finger pointing (sometmes 2-finger in X-Men), to 1 finger in Avengers, to one hand and then much later two arm hexes. Wanda had a 3-hex limit almost always, although sometimes only 2 before she physicially weakened and even passed out. During those periods of times, even if awake, Wanda had no more hex power to use. I could go on and on, which I will not.

Sometimes the answers are just what they are---there is not more to it. Looking too deep into it does not offer anything. Othertimes, it may be a personal issue of confusion with something. We are all here to help each other. But sometimes what is offered is also just personal opinion or outlook. Sometimes, things presented are vague or just unknown. These are comic books.

Remember----these are comics and the GOAL is for enjoyment! I Hope this provided some help.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 04-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I think the “cost” is a way to restrain the use of magic in a story. Otherwise, anything is possible, it’s magic. It would make the teamates useless…

You could consider it’s also the common wisedom: in our world, things come with a price, it doesn’t come out of nowhere, “no pain no gain”… Magic sounds too easy, too “unreal”, even in a world of “super-beings”. There must be a downside.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think the “cost” is a way to restrain the use of magic in a story. Otherwise, anything is possible, it’s magic. It would make the teamates useless…

You could consider it’s also the common wisedom: in our world, things come with a price, it doesn’t come out of nowhere, “no pain no gain”… Magic sounds too easy, too “unreal”, even in a world of “super-beings”. There must be a downside.
    That'd be true if there weren't other ways to limit magic. Restricting it to line of sight and/or use of hands have been used before. So has only being able to cast spells for a certain time.

It doesn't have to have a downside, cost or curse to be limited.

A wide variety of ways of handling magic is most interesting. It prevents repetition.

These things have already existed in comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

We are talking about a universe where super powers and crazy advanced tech exist.
    Magic in this world really isn't that impressive, oh you manipulate elements through Elderitch knowledge? So is the guy/gal who is born with Mutant//Inhuman/Eternal/Muatate gene. What is that guy/gal's price for that?
    Magic doesn't come out of nowhere, like any power, it follows a simple rule of energy consumption really, the more specific price has to do with where the energy came from(your own soul? gods and demons? your friends? the environment? etc), and really the downside is potentially getting chased by loads of less than friendly mystical entities.