I wonder who is at the door...
    I get the feeling it's going to be spoilers:
    Evan Peters' character.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Jean and Scott are back now, so 2?
    Well, they're still not married.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Oh, lord... Elizabeth Olsen made the mistake of referring to Wanda as a g*psy again in a recent interview. I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm, but... people were still criticizing her to this day for saying it once years ago, so this is just throwing salt in the wound. Her cancellation era is coming... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, lord... Elizabeth Olsen made the mistake of referring to Wanda as a g*psy again in a recent interview. I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm, but... people were still criticizing her to this day for saying it once years ago, so this is just throwing salt in the wound. Her cancellation era is coming... again.

Ugh. And despite all the stress of her being cancelled on twitter and people attacking the fandom etc etc... I'm also so annoyed that she's spreading the misconception that Wanda's classic costume has to do with her romani heritage...

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Ugh. And despite all the stress of her being cancelled on twitter and people attacking the fandom etc etc... I'm also so annoyed that she's spreading the misconception that Wanda's classic costume has to do with her romani heritage...
    Yeah, I'm already seeing a lot of people pushing the narrative that Olsen was happy to appropriate an ethnical costume for Halloween, but like.... when that costume was created, Wanda wasn't even established to be romani in the comics yet.

Liz should just stay quiet when it comes to Wanda's comic book ethnicity, because nothing good ever comes from her discussing it.

Line it is Drawn Wandavision in other Sitcoms

Yeah, I'm already seeing a lot of people pushing the narrative that Olsen was happy to appropriate an ethnical costume for Halloween, but like.... when that costume was created, Wanda wasn't even established to be romani in the comics yet.

Liz should just stay quiet when it comes to Wanda's comic book ethnicity, because nothing good ever comes from her discussing it.
    Ugh, so true. She might have gotten confused with the current costume in comics. Which was loosely inspired. But not really being something traditionally Romani.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ugh and she was blatantly told. Come on Liz!
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

She also said on the podcast that Wanda "largely represents mental health within the comic book stories." She seems like a good person but she really shouldn't talk about comic book Wanda if she can help it.

However, in the podcast one of the hosts mentioned that there have been criticisms that Wanda's stories (you know which ones) represent the "hysterical woman" trope, and I thought her reply was encouraging. (I'll put it in spoiler tags even though of course there were no actual spoilers for the plot:

spoilers:
    "I think that I understand the fear of the hysterical woman [trope], I also think it's incredible for someone to have that kind of connection to their emotional life, and I think in this show, with Jac [Schaeffer] at the helm, we created such a revolution for her. I[n] therapy, some therapists classically believe that you need to talk to the child that lives inside of you and connect with those experiences that have been trauma[tic], and then you take accountability, and have maybe an intervention with yourself, and you can move forward in a different way in your life. I do feel like this show represents this type of therapeutic experience... it means you don't have to be this reactive person in the world, that you can take ownership of your life experience, and make that power you up for the rest of your life. And I think that's what this show does, because we had Jac at the helm."
    end of spoilers

It's sad to have such low expectations that when your favorite character gets her own show, all you want to do is find evidence that she won't be ruined at the end of it. But hopefully the people involved with the show aren't being misleading when they talk about wanting to do right by her.

I also find it encouraging that the host (at the Vanity Fair "Still Watching" podcast) actually mentioned that there had been criticism of those stories. I sometimes feel like almost no one even knows how those stories are viewed by Wanda's comics fans.
    Last edited by gurkle; 01-30-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    She also said on the podcast that Wanda "largely represents mental health within the comic book stories." She seems like a good person but she really shouldn't talk about comic book Wanda if she can help it.

However, in the podcast one of the hosts mentioned that there have been criticisms that Wanda's stories (you know which ones) represent the "hysterical woman" trope, and I thought her reply was encouraging. (I'll put it in spoiler tags even though of course there were no actual spoilers for the plot:

spoilers:
    "I think that I understand the fear of the hysterical woman [trope], I also think it's incredible for someone to have that kind of connection to their emotional life, and I think in this show, with Jac [Schaeffer] at the helm, we created such a revolution for her. I[n] therapy, some therapists classically believe that you need to talk to the child that lives inside of you and connect with those experiences that have been trauma[tic], and then you take accountability, and have maybe an intervention with yourself, and you can move forward in a different way in your life. I do feel like this show represents this type of therapeutic experience... it means you don't have to be this reactive person in the world, that you can take ownership of your life experience, and make that power you up for the rest of your life. And I think that's what this show does, because we had Jac at the helm."
    end of spoilers

It's sad to have such low expectations that when your favorite character gets her own show, all you want to do is find evidence that she won't be ruined at the end of it. But hopefully the people involved with the show aren't being misleading when they talk about wanting to do right by her.

I also find it encouraging that the host (at the Vanity Fair "Still Watching" podcast) actually mentioned that there had been criticism of those stories. I sometimes feel like almost no one even knows how those stories are viewed by Wanda's comics fans.
    I'd be a lot more worried if I hadn't read Schaeffer saying in an interview how they were deliberately planning to move away from the more problematic aspects of the comics' treatment of Wanda.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd be a lot more worried if I hadn't read Schaeffer saying in an interview how they were deliberately planning to move away from the more problematic aspects of the comics' treatment of Wanda.
    Yeah, me too. I wonder if she said that specifically to keep fans from freaking out. Maybe not, but it sort of had that effect, since if she hadn't said that I think this thread would be filled with horrified reactions at this point.

Extraordinary Member

So the usual stuff? The only difference is that people realize it or not.(Like, she often just repeat a lot of fan narrative from people who have the bare minimum understanding Wanda's character which is shaped around AD/HOM.)
    Not to blame her that much since Wanda as a character is already filled with bunch of misinfo to the point that all you learn is various forms of misinfo and half-truth if you are just a casual fan.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 01-30-2021 at 08:01 PM.