Page 592 of 774 FirstFirst ... 92492542582588589590591592593594595596602642692 ... LastLast
Results 8,866 to 8,880 of 11598
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is it fair to say she's being better treated in the MCU than in the comics?
    For now, yes, but her MCU portrayal is still influenced enough by Avengers Disassembled/House of M that I would be nervous even if we weren't getting all the "villain Wanda" rumors. Comics Wanda was doing fine until Avengers Disassembled came along, so it only takes a couple of bad moves to make things worse for a character.

I think things will probably work out better because the difference is that the MCU wants to keep her around. The comics, at that time, didn't.

I just wanna say since Billy becomes like the god of magic or whatever I've always felt Sorcerer Supreme is beneath him now back before volume 2 sure why not but if he becomes the Demiurge creator of the elder gods & all that shit what does Sorcerer Supreme do for him? Nothing at all not to mention he's in space he'll never leave Teddy to be magic man of earth. Magik being next in line makes sense cause Strange has always kind of been her mentor or whatever, though Wanda is his equal but like Scarlet Witch is a title in itself I'm kind of like what does she need sorcerer Supreme title for aswell ya know?.

Yeah I agree that Wanda doesn't need the SS title. She just needs some writers to realize that she hasn't been a magic novice since the 70s.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I am going to hold out hope that we haven't yet started to see the effect of WandaVision's success on Wanda in the comics.

Come to think of it, even though the story was planned before, we did see a bit of the WandaVision effect in the way "Trial of Magneto" #1 was written -- all the talk about grief feels like that's become Wanda's deal now (it wasn't really before, because comics Wanda has not had as miserable a life as MCU Wanda).

Also the one bit of optimism I have about Wanda's MCU future is that people really want to see her again, and probably see her and Agatha together again. If her show had been less popular/award-nominated I'd be even more worried than I already am.
    This is when you know the writer watched the TV show but has no idea about the character on comics
    Last edited by Writerblog; 08-30-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

For now, yes, but her MCU portrayal is still influenced enough by Avengers Disassembled/House of M that I would be nervous even if we weren't getting all the "villain Wanda" rumors. Comics Wanda was doing fine until Avengers Disassembled came along, so it only takes a couple of bad moves to make things worse for a character.

I think things will probably work out better because the difference is that the MCU wants to keep her around. The comics, at that time, didn't.
    I don't put too much stock into such rumors. They've been wrong before. But I hope she's not villainized in the MCU.

Idk what will help her in the comics. And I'm not sure why the comics then wanted to remove her

Maybe she'll be shown to be competent again. I can understand MCU SW not knowing her full strength, but 616 SW has used magic for years (depending on how long Marvel says time has passed).

Is it fair to say she's being better treated in the MCU than in the comics?
    While the ending of WandaVision was...questionable (at best) morally, it at least didn’t amount to an act that someone could easily confuse with a legitimate genocide, so yes...I’d say MCU Wanda has fared better than Wanda from 2005-and-beyond.

Extraordinary Member

Idk what will help her in the comics. And I'm not sure why the comics then wanted to remove her
    It's just part of a broader problem that Wanda is part of a group of characters who were core to the old-school Avengers, and who don't really have a home now that the Avengers is more of an all-star book.

Which is crazy, because with her new found popularity, she should be one of those all-stars. And has worked well with most of the current Avengers. Even was close friends. But now she's just a reserve member. Probably until the main book gets a new writer. But also really, the Avengers should have more than two books.

I don't put too much stock into such rumors. They've been wrong before. But I hope she's not villainized in the MCU.

She's on top of her game after beating the evil witch saving the town & shit. Since Strange messed up the Multiverse hell Wanda might fix his mess aswell, I'd say MCU Wanda is in a great spot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    While the ending of WandaVision was...questionable (at best) morally, it at least didn’t amount to an act that someone could easily confuse with a legitimate genocide, so yes...I’d say MCU Wanda has fared better than Wanda from 2005-and-beyond.
    I know some fans disagree, but I don't count HoM as an actual genocide. But you're right about it being a much more egregious action than what she did in WandaVision

It's just part of a broader problem that Wanda is part of a group of characters who were core to the old-school Avengers, and who don't really have a home now that the Avengers is more of an all-star book.
    The all-star thing is the problem because those guys have their own books. The Avengers should make room for those without their own books

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Which is crazy, because with her new found popularity, she should be one of those all-stars. And has worked well with most of the current Avengers. Even was close friends. But now she's just a reserve member. Probably until the main book gets a new writer. But also really, the Avengers should have more than two books.
    In another sub it was pointed out to me that the writers may not be outright fans of her so that's why they don't try to write for her. Which is a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    She's on top of her game after beating the evil witch saving the town & shit. Since Strange messed up the Multiverse hell Wanda might fix his mess aswell, I'd say MCU Wanda is in a great spot.
    If that even is Strange!

Extraordinary Member

I hope it's really Strange because I'll feel better about Wanda's future if she and Strange have both screwed up massively, instead of just Wanda.

I know some fans disagree, but I don't count HoM as an actual genocide. But you're right about it being a much more egregious action than what she did in WandaVision
    M-Day most definitely isn’t a genocide; Wanda detractors just like to (disgustingly) compare her to Hitler and his genocidal acts.

My suggestion? Call it out, every time. Not just because it’s not what happened, but mostly because it’s a huge amount of disrespect to survivors and victims of actual genocides.

I hate that comparison. Because the Holocaust was a purposeful and planned coordination that was slowly developed over years of propaganda. That sought out people to remove them from society, force them on death walks, into death camps. Shot a lot of them on sight. Scientifically experimented on them and gassed a majority of them to death. It killed 80% of the Romani population and somewhere around 60% of the Jewish population in occupied Europe. It was every bit a forceful ethnic cleansing. Completely intentional. Not done on a whim of madness or possession. And none of those people can be brought back.

Fiction is so far different. Especially in comics. And Wanda was not a fascist trying for years to get a large population of people in Europe to open up to helping eliminate mutants. She is a Romani woman herself.

It's so tasteless and disrespectful. Obviously used as emotional manipulation for a fictional event.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-30-2021 at 05:02 PM.

I do think M-day was some sort of genocide, but honestly the story made no sense and Wanda is barely a character in it that it's just sad how it completely ruined her character to the point that fans pretty much ignore all her pre-HoM history.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    This is when you know the writer watched the TV show but has no idea about the character on comics
    I don't think that's fair, but I do think that when a character becomes popular in the movies it influences the way writers write them.

Before this year Wanda never had enough screen time in the MCU to really make that kind of impact, so most people who weren't already fans of the character knew her for "No more mutants." Knowing her as the sad lady from the MCU can only be an improvement.