Page 627 of 774 FirstFirst ... 127527577617623624625626627628629630631637677727 ... LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,405 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Was Wanda in this week's Death of Doctor Strange #1?
    Nope, but Jericho was.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Nope, but Jericho was.
    Oh. The advanced preview for #2 is already out but no sign of her yet.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-preview-pages
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think she will even be mentioned in the Strange book.

I think I read somewhere that the writer confirmed she won't be on it cause it's happening at the same time as TOM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the writer confirmed she won't be on it cause it's happening at the same time as TOM.
    Then they should talk about their fun death experience later lol.
    Sorry i cannot make it to your funeral, I was kinda busy being dead as well you know?

And she watched Strange die in invisible astral form. Their astral forms could meet though unless they went to different planes of existence.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Twitter really amplifies a toxic minority. Artist said that he won't draw her like MCU on future issues.

My only problem is that Werneck drew her like comic Wanda, then new artist draw her like MCU. It just jarring on same comic, the art needs to be more uniform.
    Wanda has had so few recent comic appearances that it's not surprising that artists use Olsen as reference (generally, the more consistently a character appears in comics, the more consistent their visual appearance, as artists are well-versed in drawing them). We've certainly seen Tony Stark become much more like RDJ.

WIP art from Darkhold artist Cian Tormey.

https://twitter.com/CianTormey/statu...35756115132421
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    His replies on the original tweet were full of people mad at him that he disrespected comics Wanda by making her look like the racist white woman Elizabeth Olsen (their words not mine).

Harassing people who like MCU Wanda are fortunately a very small minority but Twitter has a way of amplifying those voices. (Obviously this is very, very different from people who just don't like the MCU version or are disappointed at a white lady playing her.)
    I figured that's exactly what happened. I did a quick Twitter search for his name and found some nasty tweets. Some fans are just too much and don't know how to express their frustrations properly. Funnily enough, I did not see this level of harassment towards Russell Dauterman for his recent art of comics Wanda wearing the MCU outfit. I guess he's a bigger artist, so it's harder for the haters to gang up on him because they end up drowned by the positive feedback.

And yeah, I think people have very valid complaints about MCU Wanda, but you can clearly tell that gratuitous and unnecessary hate gets in the way. Andy Park was saying the g-slur just the other day, and none of the people who were crucifying Olsen seemed to have this same level of hate for him. Same goes for other Marvel actors who've also said the word. Hell, two Marvel movies straight up used that word in their script, and you don't see the directors/writers/actors getting any flack for it the same way Olsen does. Some of them are actually quite beloved on Stan Twitter. Gotta love that double standard.

They should direct their frustrations at Marvel. Who decided long ago to make Wanda a Roma woman, but not make her look like most Roma women. And cast a white woman to play her.

Marvel wanted all the stereotypes, hardly any of the actual representation.

Artists can't really control how Marvel wants their characters to look. And Ronald Wimberly has spoken out before saying that Marvel does instruct artists to make characters lighter.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They should direct their frustrations at Marvel. Who decided long ago to make Wanda a Roma woman, but not make her look like most Roma women. And cast a white woman to play her.

Marvel wanted all the stereotypes, hardly any of the actual representation.

Artists can't really control how Marvel wants their characters to look. And Ronald Wimberly has spoken out before saying that Marvel does instruct artists to make characters lighter.
    It's a difficult issue because the Romani are probably one of the most despised and marginalized ethnic groups out there, and even today are generally regarded by many of their Europeans neighbors as little more than vermin. Unlike, say, Jewish people, the Romani don't really have a literary tradition that has penetrated mainstream consciousness, and their representation in media and pop culture is minimal, particularly as many public figures try to hide or downplay their Roma heritage in order to avoid harassment, and the fact that people are still having to do this in the 21st century says a lot about how far we still need to go about these sorts of things.

As far as Wanda is concerned, I can't even think of any prominent Romani actresses who they could've picked to play her, and given that this aspect of her character is largely based off some pretty offensive stereotypes about sexy gypsy witches or whatever, it'd be pretty difficult to do an authentic and respectful portrayal without complete rewriting her backstory. The MCU was probably wise to skirt this issue entirely by making her "Sokovian" which has some mildly offensive implications of its own but avoids most of the real controversial stuff. And frankly, Liz Olsen is hardly the first white woman to appropriate aspects of Romani culture, the entire Bohemian movement and all of the countercultural strands that emerged from it were ultimately based on a romanticization of the Romani lifestyle and aesthetic as these free spirited wanderers unshackled from the constraints of settled society, which garnered the label because Romani were (and are) heavily concentrated in Czechia, which was also known as Bohemia, and were thought to have originated from there and migrated across Europe. So if Wanda is an offensive stereotype, so is everyone who ever dressed like a hippie.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-24-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Also Andy Park was called out on Twitter https://twitter.com/leiaorganq/statu...46536740376578

There are prominent Romani actresses. They are mostly in theater. Which is where Hollywood found Sir Ian McKellan. The lack of Romani actresses is something on purpose. Not because there are a lack of Romani actresses. It's systemic.

It is a good point that no Romani actress would want to portray and perpetuate terrible stereotypes, but it's also on the company to clean that up. The hippie movement did indeed appropriate many things from Indian, Romani and Native American cultures and many in these groups have called them out for it.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 09-24-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Funny, my first exposure to Romanis was actually when I visited Paris for the first time about ten years ago. There are a LOT of Romani in Paris. It appeared that most of them made a living asking for money from tourists. This is something that is NOT shown in Hollywood movies and shows when they portray the City of Light (maybe the most beautiful city in the world in my opinion). And yeah, they're definitely not white. That being said, I don't think it's fair to criticize WandaVision for lack of Romani representation. The show just used what it was given.

Like I said, I enjoyed the series and thought it was really well-made (and the performances were solid). I definitely had some issues with the finale, but NOT for the reasons many other "comic book fans" have given. I don’t really get this notion of being offended that the actual show didn’t adopt fan theories. There was nothing in the MCU that suggested anything anyone theorized was on the way. Being insulted that fanfic didn’t pan seems a little much. And let's just say that Evan Peters DID turn out to be a multiverse version of Pietro at the end of WandaVision. These same critics would say that WandaVision was the greatest television miniseries since Roots! I don't take their criticisms seriously at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Funny, my first exposure to Romanis was actually when I visited Paris for the first time about ten years ago. There are a LOT of Romani in Paris. It appeared that most of them made a living asking for money from tourists. This is something that is NOT shown in Hollywood movies and shows when they portray the City of Light (maybe the most beautiful city in the world in my opinion). And yeah, they're definitely not white. That being said, I don't think it's fair to criticize WandaVision for lack of Romani representation. The show just used what it was given.

Like I said, I enjoyed the series and thought it was really well-made (and the performances were solid). I definitely had some issues with the finale, but NOT for the reasons many other "comic book fans" have given. I don’t really get this notion of being offended that the actual show didn’t adopt fan theories. There was nothing in the MCU that suggested anything anyone theorized was on the way. Being insulted that fanfic didn’t pan seems a little much. And let's just say that Evan Peters DID turn out to be a multiverse version of Pietro at the end of WandaVision. These same critics would say that WandaVision was the greatest television miniseries since Roots! I don't take their criticisms seriously at all.
    I wouldn't want that to be the first and only portrayal. Maybe if they dug in bigger into the history of slavery and discrimination that lead to the poverty to begin with. But not the begging itself. Because that's already an existing stereotype, despite a majority of Romani not living that way.

The show is not that good. It's not that bad. It created some necessary talk about depression and mental illness in general. Which is important. It didn't leave the character in the best of places though. It did propel her to her highest popularity. So there are some give and takes.

I don't think people are just criticizing WandaVision for the lack of representation, but the entire MCU. I'm sure if a lot of them read comics they'd be talking about the lack of real rep in comics as well.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 09-24-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Marvel's Most Powerful Avenger Easily Broke the MCU's Strongest Metal - and That's Huge
    https://www.cbr.com/strongest-avenge...sword-endgame/