Page 631 of 774 FirstFirst ... 131531581621627628629630631632633634635641681731 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,465 of 11598

When did Wanda become Romani? I remember when Stan and co. were doing her, she was just Eastern European, with Stan even joking that the reason that the twins were made European was that they could be deported if the misbehaved on the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    When did Wanda become Romani? I remember when Stan and co. were doing her, she was just Eastern European, with Stan even joking that the reason that the twins were made European was that they could be deported if the misbehaved on the Avengers.
    It was when they did the Wundagore story. Initially it was that they were adopted Romani, then it was believed that the Maximoffs might be their real family. Then it was later confirmed that Madga was their mother. She was Sinti. The family that adopted them were Roma. Then Natalya became their mother and the Maximoffs became their biological family. And that they were always Roma.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It was when they did the Wundagore story. Initially it was that they were adopted Romani, then it was believed that the Maximoffs might be their real family. Then it was later confirmed that Madga was their mother. She was Sinti. The family that adopted them were Roma. Then Natalya became their mother and the Maximoffs became their biological family. And that they were always Roma.
    Thanks. So more European stereotyping in other words

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    That only works in MCU since Bettany is British.
    Her standard comic British butler should be Modred lol.
    Wanda having a butler would be very aristocratic of her.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well you have to remember that, despite the general perception in America that Europe is wealthy and glamorous, most European countries are MUCH poorer than America as a rule. If France were a US state, it would rank second to last in GDP per capita, BARELY edging out Mississippi, and while Paris being the capital would be quite a bit richer than the country overall, it still won't come close to matching the concentrations of extreme wealth you'd find in some areas of the states. Hell, the term "Paris syndrome" was coined for tourists who go to the city expecting it be the magical city of lights they know from films, and come away feeling disappointed and depressed that their illusions were shattered by reality. And whatever issues there are with Roma and petty crimes are absolutely just a symptom of the broader issues with French society, and certainly not the cause.

Actually if they ever do a Wanda solo film they should definitely set it in Europe and have her go on a journey to reconnect to her roots, only to discover that the land of fairy tale villages and magical covens ceased to exist long ago, and that the continent is very much a modern society facing 21st century problems. You could even have a scene where she approaches some Roma women thinking that they might be able to help her find some fellow witches, only to be rudely rebuffed and called out for perpetuating stereotypes or whatever.
    Well, that was my first and only trip to Europe, and I was surprised at the levels of poverty there. I would not say that Paris was destitute, and it is a VERY beautiful and glamorous city. But it's not business-oriented like great American cities. But as I said before, there's plenty of panhandlers in big US cities like San Francisco (which also receives MASSIVE amounts of tourists every year). I didn't know France was so low in terms of GDP per capita compared to poorer US states. I think it's because France doesn't really MAKE anything. I think tourism plays an outsized role in France's economy.

I wouldn't mind a Wanda project based in Europe. That would be cool. Black Widow was based in Russia after all, but you never got to see the great Russian metropolises in them. Maybe after the pandemic has been taken care of. Wanda encountering other Roma women would be interesting. As I recall, in the comic books, she hardly interacts with the Romani community AT ALL. I thought in Captain America 3 her cooking paprikash was paying tribute to Romani cuisine or something. It was only AFTERWARDS I found out that Markus and McFeely were probably referring to the famous paprikash scene in When Harry Met Sally...(I think they wanted to connect Wanda and Vision to a romantic comedy at that point). And I've also discovered that chicken paprikash is practically as Hungarian as goulash is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_paprikash

I definitely do understand the whole "whitewashing" argument, though. I've seen Pashtun tribefolk from Afghanistan on television who look "whiter" than the Roma I saw in Paris.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-25-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Wanda having a butler would be very aristocratic of her.
    She had a cleaning lady in her own series

Wanda probably has a decent amount of money saved up from her time as an Avenger.

Thanks. So more European stereotyping in other words
    Marvel can just never stick to an origin for Wanda and Pietro.

It's one of the reasons why I feel they shouldn't retcon them yet again. They've done it too many times. Plus the Maximoffs were their family.

Wanda probably has a decent amount of money saved up from her time as an Avenger.
    Given she could afford a penthouse in New York, it is likely she does. Which I do find strange, given that in her and Vision's second series they had bought a house and and got through all their saving in less than a year.

Marvel can just never stick to an origin for Wanda and Pietro.

It's one of the reasons why I feel they shouldn't retcon them yet again. They've done it too many times. Plus the Maximoffs were their family.
    Yeah, enough with the retcons, just stick to one backstory and also stop having them accept everything at face value.

She had a cleaning lady in her own series
    Oh yeah, that's right. But she really doesn't need one. In WandaVision she operated her vacuum cleaner using pure magic!

Given she could afford a penthouse in New York, it is likely she does. Which I do find strange, given that in her and Vision's second series they had bought a house and and got through all their saving in less than a year.
    It's because of preparing for having kids. They are really expensive, lol.

Extraordinary Member

It was when they did the Wundagore story. Initially it was that they were adopted Romani, then it was believed that the Maximoffs might be their real family. Then it was later confirmed that Madga was their mother. She was Sinti.
    I think the second "Vision & the Scarlet Witch" series was where that was established, and of course it also suggested as a throwaway that Magda might have had magic powers that Wanda inherited. It's like the writers took all the stereotypes from Doom's backstory and gave them to Wanda.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxzF9C...ature=emb_logo

I do hope Wanda is cast Romani when MCU reboots. It'd be nice. I do think Liz has been amazing and her passion for Wanda's character is wonderful. I also think Liz has grown from learning about stereotypes and being sensitive to that and such. Tho if a non Romani actress has an audition that blows the rest into the dust then hmmm... should talent be the primary focus? That would make for impassioned debate.

I don't see Tini Howard personally as I envision Wanda physically but that's prob just me. After looking through many Romani actresses for the perfect hair and cheekbones and face I personally thought Francesca Ruscio looks perfect. Tho as Arabian mix (Syrian/Lebanese/Welsh??!! Although my Welsh dad's red hair caused us kids to all have lighter eyes -2 green and 2 blue-and I'm the only dark hair. Others are blonde, blonde and auburn. Talk about the recessive gene winnng lol)) I may be biased. She has the look I envision from Coipel who's art I love and modern Perez. Liz tho after being darkened - quite easily it seems- does look like Wanda (pretty much) from Avengers vol 1 #75 on up to AvX. Tho Wanda still gets drawn more her original Eastern European Avengers #75 look on up vs her Romani origin redo. Maybe if a Romani actress gets cast it will become the predominant visual in the comics.

I do hope when ToM is over she is positioned as most here hope. It would mean so much to most here and that would be nice. The pencils posted here for #5 look nice. We shall see how she lands. Here's hoping it's where she'll be treated the best and get back into continuity and ongoing storylines - utilized in a really good way:-)
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 09-25-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    I do hope Wanda is cast Romani when MCU reboots. It'd be nice. I do think Liz has been amazing and her passion for Wanda's character is wonderful. I also think Liz has grown from learning about stereotypes and being sensitive to that and such. Tho if a non Romani actress has an audition that blows the rest into the dust then hmmm... should talent be the primary focus? I don't see Tini Howard personally as I envision Wanda physically. After looking through many Romani for the perfect hair and cheekbones and face I personally thought Francesca Ruscio looks perfect. Tho as Arabian mix (Syrian/Lebanese/Welsh??!! Yes my dads red hair caused kids to all have lighter eyes and I'm the only dark hair. Rest blonde, blonde and auburn. Talk about the recessive gene winnng lol)) I may be biased. She has the look I envision from Coipel who's art I love and modern Perez. Liz tho after being darkened - quite easily it seems- does look like Wanda (pretty much) from Avengers vol 1 #75 on up to AvX. Tho Wanda still gets drawn more her original Eastern European Avengers #75 look on up vs her Romani origin redo. Maybe if a Romani actress gets cast it will become the predominant visual in the comics.
    I do hope when ToM is over she is positioned as most here hope. It would mean so much to most here and that would be nice. The pencils posted here for #5 look nice. We shall see how she lands. Here's hoping it's where she'll be treated the best and get back into continuity and ongoing storylines - utilized in a really good way:-)
    I think that assumes too much that a white person would be the premiere talent which isn't really so, when there are plenty of Romani actresses on stage that do very well. Liz looks like Wanda because comics never made Wanda really look like the majority of Romani. White women tanned are still white. The problem isn't the lack of talent or white people being more talented. It's that Hollywood has barely ever tried.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 09-25-2021 at 02:10 PM.