Page 656 of 774 FirstFirst ... 156556606646652653654655656657658659660666706756 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,840 of 11598

The original synopsis was “After the events of Avengers: Endgame, Dr. Stephen Strange continues his research on the Time Stone. But an old friend turned enemy seeks to destroy every sorcerer on Earth, messing with Strange’s plan and also causing him to unleash an unspeakable evil.” The old friend having been confirmed to be Baron Mordo.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I noticed that Scarlet Witching is pretty much convinced the villain rumors are true and blames it on Elizabeth Olsen for talking about how much she loved House of M. That seems a bit of a stretch. It was Marvel that decided to send her "House of M" and considering how much Kevin Feige is influenced by the mid-2000s, the idea of a House of M type story was probably on the table long before it became WandaVision.

I remember the site didn't seem quite so anti MCU Wanda at first, despite disliking the whitewashing, but they really turned hard against her at some point. Which is fine, though up to now I'd still take MCU Wanda over the same period in comics Wanda (even with the solo). That will change if she really does become a multiverse-destroying villain but I still doubt that.
    I mean, I love Scarlet Witching but she(I think it is mentioned that the blogger is a Romani woman or something, or is it run by a team?) is kinda easy to fall for fandom narrative.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean, I love Scarlet Witching but she(I think it is mentioned that the blogger is a Romani woman or something, or is it run by a team?) is kinda easy to fall for fandom narrative.
    Yes, I don't want to seem like criticizing them for not liking MCU Wanda. They have a right to be bitter about the casting and stuff like the "Sokovian fortune teller" concept art. I do remember they were a bit more open-minded about the MCU version back in the day and didn't like or hate the version from Age of Ultron, just indifferent. But people can change their minds, and I'm sure they got a lot of dumb questions from MCU stans.

I used to worry about the whitewashing complaints because I thought if they ever caught on, Disney wouldn't cast Wanda "properly," they'd just retire their version. But people have a right to be disappointed by the casting without being criticized for being disappointed.
    Last edited by gurkle; 10-04-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

MCU Wanda is definitely more on the anti-hero side than her comics counterpart. She and Pietro willingly helped Ultron while the comics versions did nothing but complain about how they were stuck with Magneto. And she acted selfishly in her show, she didn't want to believe that she was making the townspeople miserable because then she'd have to let them go and lose everything yet again.

That's a far cry from being a villain, though, or even an Avengers Disassembled/House of M type of situation. The people told her they were miserable and she immediately let them go. So far she always does the right thing in the end, it just takes her a while to do it, and people can identify with that because we're not perfect and we don't always think of the other person first. I think I prefer the Avengers comics version who was more of a traditional hero, but it's not a bad take, unless they throw that all away and make her a villain. Which just sounds really hard to believe, because I don't think MCU viewers want her to be a villain any more than they want her to be a pure selfless hero. But as usual we'll have to wait and see.
    A lot of characters are morally grey but the framing and narrative won't put them in a similarly controversial light like Wanda.
    Like Thor Ragnorak for example, Valkyrie and Hulk potentially captured and murdered loads of slave gladiators in arena for shit and giggles.(Because let's be real here, what happened to Thor happened to many other unfortunate drifters who ended up on Sakaar.) But unlike Wanda they are actually having fun doing that.
    But the narrative won't ever bring this up so it's perfectly okay.
    Or how about Endgame and the Avengers' solution of doing the reverse snap, is that unfair to the people who died indirectly from the snap? Sure it is, but they just avoid the question, and never do a Tony's family versus unfortunately dead people narrative, for all the supposed complexity and depth fans want to boast about their favs, they will immediately crack when the narrative no longer shield them from actually controversial situations or framing.
    Wanda doesn't even murder anyone in WV, but they really put a strong emphasis on her "torturing/enslaving people" that she came off worse than actual murderers.
    It's kinda similar to Phoenix Jean eating a star and Wanda depowering loads of mutants, the actual mass killing is seen as less of a problem than "genocide through mass depowering".
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 10-04-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    They aren't Romani. Just seemingly aware of Romani issues.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I don't want to seem like criticizing them for not liking MCU Wanda. They have a right to be bitter about the casting and stuff like the "Sokovian fortune teller" concept art. I do remember they were a bit more open-minded about the MCU version back in the day and didn't like or hate the version from Age of Ultron, just indifferent. But people can change their minds, and I'm sure they got a lot of dumb questions from MCU stans.

I used to worry about the whitewashing complaints because I thought if they ever caught on, Disney wouldn't cast Wanda "properly," they'd just retire their version. But people have a right to be disappointed by the casting without being criticized for being disappointed.
    Yeah, pragmatically speaking, it's very much a possibility, retire their version and not using her anymore, or actually recast her and then give her absolutely no resource what so ever. Which is common practice unfortunately.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

At this point I have no idea what the plot of the movie is and therefore no idea what Wanda's arc will be. From the way people are talking you'd think Strange was barely in his own movie and it was all about Wanda, which would be a) impossible and b) terrible. The actual plot of the movie has to be about Strange (even Iron Man was clearly secondary to Captain America in Civil War) and no one has even come up with a convincing fake plot.

I have my own theories about what Wanda's role in the movie will be, but we can't even guess until Marvel gives us some plot crumbs, for good or bad.
    Indeed that is a major point that should be put to much heart for us all, that it seem so much of the leaks are coming out about Wanda but not much about Strange himself in his own movie.

That Alone should tell us allot about these rumors, to many are hard boiled cause if those are the only real major things and not much is about the lead himself, it does not make logical sense to not have something as juice and that is where it should fall apart these negative rumors IMO.

This is Strange's Movie and Wanda has a major role but not the lead, I am glad so many online are interested in her, but rumors of the negative without real back-up is not right, stick to enthusiasm and love for Wanda's Character.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

That seems a bit of a stretch. It was Marvel that decided to send her "House of M" and considering how much Kevin Feige is influenced by the mid-2000s, the idea of a House of M type story was probably on the table long before it became WandaVision.
    That's so stupid for them, like it or not HoM it's Wanda's "biggest" story sadly, and for the wrong reasons, it's obvious that Marvel would send her those comics for her to read, you can't really blame her when most of the general public or casual Wanda fans think that HoM is a good story because of how powerful she's portrayed there.

Once the MCU hype ends i can see 616 Wanda going to back to limbo (hopefully not but they didn't invest that much in her even when WandaVision was airing) so i'm just enjoying Wanda's current popularity thanks to the MCU.
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 10-04-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The original synopsis was “After the events of Avengers: Endgame, Dr. Stephen Strange continues his research on the Time Stone. But an old friend turned enemy seeks to destroy every sorcerer on Earth, messing with Strange’s plan and also causing him to unleash an unspeakable evil.” The old friend having been confirmed to be Baron Mordo.
    Was this when they had the other director? I think they might have changed many things from the movie tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    That's so stupid for them, like it or not HoM it's Wanda's "biggest" story sadly, and for the wrong reasons, it's obvious that Marvel would send her those comics for her to read, you can't really blame her when most of the general public or casual Wanda fans think that HoM is a good story because of how powerful she's portrayed there.

Once the MCU hype ends i can see 616 going to limbo back (hopefully not but they didn't invest that much in her even when WandaVision was airing) so i'm just enjoying Wanda's current popularity thanks to the MCU.
    It is popularity we should enjoy and honestly it seems we already got our HoM/Dissembles story style in Wandavision so story going forward will just be away from all that hopefully and moving our Wanda forward with more classics form her history.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Was this when they had the other director? I think they might have changed many things from the movie tbh.
    Likely since Sam Rami took over, who knows, maybe someone here knows more in-depth about that?!

It's still listed as it's synopsis. I think most fans didn't want to buy it because they were enamored with the title of the film instead of the synopsis of it. Raimi is also a horror director, so I'm not expecting many changes. It was billed as gothic horror, but not that much horror because Disney.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I noticed that Scarlet Witching is pretty much convinced the villain rumors are true and blames it on Elizabeth Olsen for talking about how much she loved House of M. That seems a bit of a stretch. It was Marvel that decided to send her "House of M" and considering how much Kevin Feige is influenced by the mid-2000s, the idea of a House of M type story was probably on the table long before it became WandaVision.

I remember the site didn't seem quite so anti MCU Wanda at first, despite disliking the whitewashing, but they really turned hard against her at some point. Which is fine, though up to now I'd still take MCU Wanda over the same period in comics Wanda (even with the solo). That will change if she really does become a multiverse-destroying villain but I still doubt that.
    I think they are giving way too much credit to Olsen over something that's not really her decision. It's hard for me to believe she just walked into a room and said ''yo, let's make Wanda a villain'' and everyone just went along with just because. That's not really how these things work. Also, I think there is a misunderstanding there about what the actress actually wants. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Elizabeth has actually read all of House Of M and everything that happens in it. I'm not sure if she even knows the effects this had on Wanda afterwards, which is important too. It's entirely possible that she just knows the basic of the story based on what little people told her or a summary she read and she thought it was a cool idea for Wanda to have some family drama so she could get to work on her acting muscle. And that's what she got on WandaVision. To leap from that to ''she wanted Wanda to be a villain who hunts down children and destroy realities'' IS quite a reach indeed.

This reminds me: does anyone remember an interview Elizabeth did during the WandaVision promotional period, back when she was still actively working on DSITMOM, and someone asked her about fans speculating about Wanda turning into a villain, and her response seemed genuinely shocked and weirded out at the thought? At that point, she knew where Wanda was at the end of WV and she had read the script for DSITMOM. I always think about that. It's possible that was never the plan, or the Olsen herself never even wanted Wanda to be a villain, and people just created this narrative and decided to run with it based on no actual evidence, because that's what the internet does.

Even during one of the WandaVision interviews, when she was asked about Wanda turning into a villain, she just said they have already done that in AoU, she was in the wrong band with Ultron and took down the avengers but then joined the Avengers at the end.

You can dislike the movie version but they seem biased.