Page 75 of 774 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175575 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    spoilers:
    I knew they were going to say her headdress was Sokovian in the series. They're going to change it by the end because they've left it out of the promos. I just hope it's similar. I already don't really like her final costume. It's basically a copy of Vision's look with velvet gloves, which makes sense.
    end of spoilers

Her gloves in that poster are from her halloween costume. You can see a brief glimpse of her actual gloves in this one.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I posted this in the WandaVision Thread and just wanted to post it here too.

So My Thoughts on Episdoe 6 of WandaVison:

spoilers:
    I was worried all the Pics of Miss Olsen in the Classic Scarlet Witch Costume where great but might dumb down seeing her finally and fully in this episode. WELL My Worries where Wrong, saying she looked and carried that look was Amazing Does not even cover it, Miss Olsen has Grown so much into her role as Wanda and we seen her grow in that role, just seeing her from Red Boot to Tiara Headress was a Moment of Historic Levels!

It shows how cofident she is in the role and how much Marvel is in her caring their character, Truly an Honor and Beauty to Behold!

It was Great seeing Evan Peters being able to be Evan Peters level of acting and trolling he does so well. Seriously this show has some Great Young and up-in-coming acting Talent that started making their name in the early 2010's and how much they are brining it hear should be a showcase and treat for anyone that loves and appriates acting ablity espcially the new generations. Evan's is so good when he is let lose and it reminds me of his Showing espically in American Horror Story, espically the CULT Season of 2017, seriouly if you want to See Evan Peters dialgue is ablity up to 11+, see Cult!

Vision was just goof fun in those shorts!

The Kids, all I can say is Congrats to ALL the Fans of Young Avengers that Billy and Tommy got to show their powers and espically their Looks. Billy in his Early Wiccan Costume brought me back to when I Read Young Avengers, The Children's Crusade for the 1st time, just So Happy to see them being apart of the MCU and how much respect and love they are getting. Only thing is I wish Tommy was in Green instead of Quicksilver Colors's but still great to see.

Peters with Quicksilvers hair was, LMAO, he pulls it off well with those Hair Horns.

With Every week I hear and try to understand maybe why Hayward is not as bad as we think he might be, so I try to listen and give an open mind on him if he might change. BUT DAMN was he an A$$ in this episode! I mean the Comment about Monica and her mother, just WOW, Just WOW! O_O

I think he might be the start of the whole Humans hate MetaHumans and Mutants we might be getting coming in the MCU and as some theories I have been hearing, maybe the whole Vision thing with him, Yea having a Tracer on Vision and the ablity to see more into the Hex town then he gave away before is really suspicious now, this could be the start maybe of Sentinals in the MCU maybe, the Human Sential family creation tree.

Their are now more questions then answers I have about what is really going on, Yea Wanda did expand the hex, but Herb Acting like wanting to give her anything she wanted, Anges Strangeness, Visions while yea not being able to stay out of the Hex for to long still had his mind, Pietro knowing things about the hex and goings on he should not know, more of this is getting stranger and stranger.

It seems like the sitcom aspect of the show is getting shorter and shorter so I expect we are will be getting the answers soon to help explain what is going on. Wanda has some effects in this world, but more is clearly going on and I am hyped to see what and how Our Wanda gets threw this!

Also the Malcolm in the Middle opening with the Twins and Pietro was PERFECT, That was a Blast for any 90's kid, remember watching that when I was in early High School and they hit it on the mark!

Seeing Monica being more and more confirmed for her powers are great to see and seeing her Caring for Wanda Makes me Like her More and More. =)

Also, Seeing Monica and Jimmy Woo acting the guards and striking out on their own the find the truth with Darcy to Help Wanda was Heartwarming! :-)

That comercial with the Shark, That Reminded me of Street Sharks! LOL, I am Such a 90's Kid Nerd! ^_^

Also seeing the SWORD Base turning into a Circus kind of reminds me of how people makes jokes of how they see Goverment as a Stage and Clown show, just felt if that was intentional that was a good piece of political humor.
    end of spoilers
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    Her gloves in that poster are from her halloween costume. You can see a brief glimpse of her actual gloves in this one.
    Many people are already speculating that her Halloween costume will be turned into whatever her final costume turns out to be, with maybe a headpiece that actually stays on.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The complicated history of Marvel whitewashing Scarlet Witch
    https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/wan...mani-heritage/

What do you think of this?
    Their mother had to have been Jewish for them to be Jewish. Romani people are usually other religions. If Magneto isn't their father in the MCU, so it probably wouldn't be mentioned. They could be of Romani heritage. They never really said otherwise, and her saying that she's dressed as a fortune teller from Sokovia, a fictional country, that might have a fictional culture in the MCU, doesn't seem like white washing. It's a reason for her to wear what she's always worn in the comics. They could just not say anything because the movies and TV shows haven't gone that far into religion, unless it's Daredevil, Ms. Marvel, Nightcrawler, etc.

Also, I think the majority of Americans don't know anything about Romani, and probably only have the Hunchback of Notre Dame as a reference because historically, they did't settle as much through out the US as in other countries. Someone would have to explicitly reach out to you and tell you about Romani culture and what they should be named. They don't have the same cultural influence as they do in Europe, and even in Europe they usually keep to themselves, so the words "Roma" "Rom" "Romani" are "new" to the vocabulary of many countries, especially non-English speaking countries where they've had name/labeling reforms. People still call them what they used to call them before because they don't know what the origin of the word is and its historical implications entail.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Many people are already speculating that her Halloween costume will be turned into whatever her final costume turns out to be, with maybe a headpiece that actually stays on.
    I'm sure it'll have some similarities but it'll be different enough. I was pointing out the satin glove was her halloween look where the poster I shared had the actual glove visible in the center tv next to her waist.

Their mother had to have been Jewish for them to be Jewish. Romani people are usually other religions. If Magneto isn't their father in the MCU, so it probably wouldn't be mentioned. They could be of Romani heritage. They never really said otherwise, and her saying that she's dressed as a fortune teller from Sokovia, a fictional country, that might have a fictional culture in the MCU, doesn't seem like white washing. It's a reason for her to wear what she's always worn in the comics. They could just not say anything because the movies and TV shows haven't gone that far into religion, unless it's Daredevil, Ms. Marvel, Nightcrawler, etc.

Also, I think the majority of Americans don't know anything about Romani, and probably only have the Hunchback of Notre Dame as a reference because historically, they did't settle as much through out the US as in other countries. Someone would have to explicitly reach out to you and tell you about Romani culture and what they should be named. They don't have the same cultural influence as they do in Europe, and even in Europe they usually keep to themselves, so the words "Roma" "Rom" "Romani" are "new" to the vocabulary of many countries, especially non-English speaking countries where they've had name/labeling reforms. People still call them what they used to call them before because they don't know what the origin of the word is and its historical implications entail.
    You cannot be white and be Romani. Bar none. Even if someone is of Romani heritage like myself but not having been raised with Romanipen, they have no place playing Roma that were born and raised. It's an ethnicity stemming from India. Not white people.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The complicated history of Marvel whitewashing Scarlet Witch
    https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/wan...mani-heritage/

What do you think of this?
    Also calling Hydra "Neo-Nazi" is also kinda reductive. Sure Hydra is yet another Fascist group. But draw a real life equivalent without much explanation is really weird on their part. Not to mention they just conveniently ignore the part that the timeline would have MCU Wanda/Pietro technically joining "SHIELD".
    And they ended up doing what? Stealing resources from a Fascist group? Because they surely never really worked for Hydra.

Extraordinary Member

I think it's a huge stretch to call characters Jewish representation when they have never identified as Jewish at any point in their comics history. They were retconned into being Magneto's children and then, a few years later, a different writer retconned Magneto into being a Holocaust survivor. There has to be something more to it than that.

Their Romani heritage, while also the product of multiple retcons, actually does show up in the comics as something they identify with, so while "whitewashing" seems a bit of a wrong term for the situation, it's fair for people to be disappointed that this part of their background was removed, and then aspects of it were used anyway for characters without that background. They're not going to fire Lizzie and replace her but you can't blame people for complaining.
    Again, they say "complicated" yet again ignore the actual complication of retcons, like no mention of their "parentless phase" and "Whizzer" phase.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    You cannot be white and be Romani. Bar none. Even if someone is of Romani heritage like myself but not having been raised with Romanipen, they have no place playing Roma that were born and raised. It's an ethnicity stemming from India. Not white people.
    Well, they haven't said they were in the MCU so far. So technically they aren't. They're supposed to be from a fictional Slovakia. We could try to make sense of a fictional universe. They look like people from a Slavic country, that's about it. They shouldn't mix the real world in the movies because it's just going to lead to controversy that they won't be able to free themselves of, and they'll probably come off as ignorant for even attempting to use real world culture/heritage for a character that they're trying to make flawed.

It's as ignorant as comparing fictional superheroes with real world people who are disenfranchised that will never have cool powers.
    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 02-12-2021 at 12:41 PM.

I think it's a huge stretch to call characters Jewish representation when they have never identified as Jewish at any point in their comics history. They were retconned into being Magneto's children and then, a few years later, a different writer retconned Magneto into being a Holocaust survivor. There has to be something more to it than that.

Their Romani heritage, while also the product of multiple retcons, actually does show up in the comics as something they identify with, so while "whitewashing" seems a bit of a wrong term for the situation, it's fair for people to be disappointed that this part of their background was removed, and then aspects of it were used anyway for characters without that background. They're not going to fire Lizzie and replace her but you can't blame people for complaining.
    It just is complicated more by the stereotypes the retcons all that comics has done. Basically the bad understanding of who Romani are and how to depict them starts with the retcon that made them go from generally European to Romani and it never got better from there. But with them having them be Romani from the first time their background went into detail 50 years ago now to having them be white in the movies is whitewashing. Because Marvel decided to do that long ago and early enough in their history. They just unfortunately attached it to them based on stereotypes and even now where they are trying to be more progressive, are refusing to learn from past mistakes.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 02-12-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Well, they haven't said they were in the MCU so far. So technically they aren't. They're supposed to be from a fictional Slovakia. We could try to make sense of a fictional universe. They look like people from a Slavic country, that's about it. They shouldn't mix the real world in the movies because it's just going to lead to controversy that they won't be able to free themselves of, and they'll probably come off as ignorant for even attempting to use real world culture/heritage for a character that they're trying to make flawed.
    I'm glad they aren't saying, but from stuff Liz Olsen has said, stuff that was cut from movies before and now the fortune teller thing, they are hugging that line pretty close.

I don't know what you mean about mixing the real world?

Extraordinary Member

The "fortune teller" line suggests that the writers, like Lizzie, actually think that costume is connected to that (stereotypical) aspect of Wanda's heritage, when of course she was wearing that costume long before Django Maximoff was added to her backstory.

Granted it's not hard to get confused about this stuff. "Who were Wanda and Pietro's parents at the time this story was published?" is a confusing question.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I'm glad they aren't saying, but from stuff Liz Olsen has said, stuff that was cut from movies before and now the fortune teller thing, they are hugging that line pretty close.

I don't know what you mean about mixing the real world?
    I mean they shouldn't try to take real world heritages and use them as something to make a character "more interesting" because it's mysterious to the viewer. They should leave mentioning these things out, especially since they've already casted people who don't resemble what they're supposed to represent. That's probably why they invented Sokovia. To make stuff up. For the time being, they aren't Romani, and after the backlash for saying what she said today, I think they're going to ignore anymore references at all costs unless they've already filmed it. I wonder what they're going to do about Doctor Doom. His mother is a witch. They might change it.

I mean they shouldn't try to take real world heritages and use them as something to make a character "more interesting" because it's mysterious to the viewer. They should leave mentioning these things out, especially since they've already casted people who don't resemble what they're supposed to represent. That's probably why they invented Sokovia. To make stuff up. For the time being, they aren't Romani, and after the backlash for saying what she said today, I think they're going to ignore anymore references at all costs unless they've already filmed it. I wonder what they're going to do about Doctor Doom. His mother is a witch. They might change it.
    If they don't know them well enough, they definitely should leave them alone. But using the stereotypes and being cheeky about it isn't better. We still know what they are doing. Other people still make that association with the stereotypes. So they are using it and still perpetuating it.

It'd be best if they got people involved from Roma groups out there that have already offered to help entertainment get these depictions correct and work at doing better. Because removing any chance at good representation isn't better either.

Extraordinary Member

The "fortune teller" line suggests that the writers, like Lizzie, actually think that costume is connected to that (stereotypical) aspect of Wanda's heritage, when of course she was wearing that costume long before Django Maximoff was added to her backstory.

Granted it's not hard to get confused about this stuff. "Who were Wanda and Pietro's parents at the time this story was published?" is a confusing question.
    I mean, it's a freaking leotard with pink stocking, your average 60s heroine shit, why the hell would they tie that to her Romani heritage?