Page 83 of 774 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183583 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 11598

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I know about the witch heritage being tied to her Roma family. And I have so many problems with that. It perpetuates false stereotypes for one.
    Yes, I'm processed this a lot (it's cheese now) but you're so very right.

If you wanted Wanda to have some sort of Witch lineage, it would have been best to keep her as a regular European of some sort. There are far more good examples there, without playing to the bad Roma stereotypes. My wife had a grandmother who came from Poland (her father too) and she was said to be a Witch. Since I sorta know this stuff, I would say, yes, based on the information I received. Older, European Witchcraft is not the same as more modern British/Angle 'Craft' or Wicca.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I know about the witch heritage being tied to her Roma family. And I have so many problems with that. It perpetuates false stereotypes for one.
    the worst part is they just used it to justify the witchy mumbo jumbo without any clear interest in what being a romani actually means.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    the worst part is they just used it to justify the witchy mumbo jumbo without any clear interest in what being a romani actually means.
    And it's not really needed. They had the nexus stuff already attracting Chthon. Just have Chthon and Agatha be her links to magic. It should stay separate from any Romani bloodline.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

And it's not really needed. They had the nexus stuff already attracting Chthon. Just have Chthon and Agatha be her links to magic. It should stay separate from any Romani bloodline.
    not to mention the fact that we already had the intervention of the High Evolutionary, her enhanced genetics didn't really need any more justification than that
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Wanda has now had five sets of parents:

1. Django and Marya Maximoff- the people who raised Wanda and Pietro
    2. Whizzer and Miss America- origin story given in Giant-Sized Avengers #1
    3. Magneto and Madga- origin story of the Yesterday Quest
    4. Natalya Maximoff and an unknown father- Scarlet Witch series
    5. Oleg and Irina Maximoff- WandaVision
    To be fair, the last one is in another continuity entirely, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It doesn't add to the mess we have in the 616 universe. Plus, I'm pretty sure Irina and Oleg are pretty much the same characters as Django and Marya, just with different names.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It really bugs me why they decided to name her parents Oleg and Irina in the MCU instead of Django and Marya...
    I suspect it's because Django is a very typical romani name (IDK about Marya, though). I remember reading that the comic book character was even named after a real romani celebrity, so they might have decided to change because they didn't want that particular association with a character that they decided to whitewash in the MCU. Then again, they still decided to make that fortune teller reference, so who even knows what goes in the head of those writers?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I disagree, it's all part of her complex nature and I would not be so fast to downplay this aspect of Wanda, I can understand why Agatha being a witch would not spend too much attention on it but according to the High Evolutionary her genetics makes her a conduit for elemental chaos
    I don't think it essentially contradict with the "Busiek model", basically Wanda's genetic power(either mutant or HE experiment) makes her a conduit/wire that can channel Chaos Magic or draw energy to power Chaos Magic(depending on how you see/understand Chaos Magic, is it an "engine" that use all kinds of energy to do stuff? Or it's some energy on itself?) But again Chthon would still need to be there to grant her access to Chaos Magic, otherwise it would just be other more regular energy forms for her to manipulate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    To be fair, the last one is in another continuity entirely, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It doesn't add to the mess we have in the 616 universe. Plus, I'm pretty sure Irina and Oleg are pretty much the same characters as Django and Marya, just with different names.

I suspect it's because Django is a very typical romani name (IDK about Marya, though). I remember reading that the comic book character was even named after a real romani celebrity, so they might have decided to change because they didn't want that particular association with a character that they decided to whitewash in the MCU. Then again, they still decided to make that fortune teller reference, so who even knows what goes in the head of those writers?
    Also certain names, despite having a specific cultural origin, are widely used among different nations and cultures.
    Again, I have no idea what the writers really have in mind, it can also just be that "minor characters don't get to keep the name" rule, like how in the Dr.Strange Sorcerer Sumpreme(2007 animated movie), his sister is named April Strange(her 616 counterpart is Donna Strange). I am pretty sure some other AU "Donna Strange" also has different name for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I don't think it essentially contradict with the "Busiek model", basically Wanda's genetic power(either mutant or HE experiment) makes her a conduit/wire that can channel Chaos Magic or draw energy to power Chaos Magic(depending on how you see/understand Chaos Magic, is it an "engine" that use all kinds of energy to do stuff? Or it's some energy on itself?) But again Chthon would still need to be there to grant her access to Chaos Magic, otherwise it would just be other more regular energy forms for her to manipulate.
    As much at it pains me to mention her by name, Luminous (the third maximoff "twin" hugh!) displayed exactly the kind of connection to elemental chaos the H-E was talking about minus the wild/unpredictable magic component Wanda must have gained by Chthon's "blessing".

It really bugs me why they decided to name her parents Oleg and Irina in the MCU instead of Django and Marya...
    Why even change it? They felt the new names were more appropriate or something?

I think they did good, why would they want to set her up, the people who are against the casting would have dragged Liz even more if one of her parents had a romani name.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    That Artwork is SO Amazing Levels of SweetHeartness Cruelrain!

Real Life or Artwork, Miss Olsens where the Scarlet Witch Costume like the BEST OF THE BEST of our Live Action Comic Heroes that have come to life!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!