Page 52 of 774 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    y'all ignored Wanda's theme
    I had no idea she had a theme. I knew the soundtrack was out, but did not listen to it yet.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    My deepest wish for Wanda, if they still move forward with her comic, is that she defeats Chthon and absorbs him and his knowledge of dark magic to get a serious power boost. Also so they can lay off the mind control/possession for a long time
    Count me among those who don't want anymore power boosts for Wanda.

Hear me out. I feel that Wanda already being rather OP is what keeps her out of regular Avengers titles. Who needs a guy that can throw a Frisbee really hard when you can rewrite reality on a whim? A solo title is the dream, but it would probably end up canceled again. Even popular solo characters like Dr. Strange, the Punisher and Silver Surfer are in a constant state of cancelation and reboots in today's market.

Sadly, several of Wanda's recent appearances seem to revolve around her somehow screwing up the world with her now all too powerful magic. This recent trend has more or less downgraded Wanda back into "villain" status.

In Uncanny Avengers she was manipulated by the Apocalypse Twins (despite thinking she was playing them) resulting in some grimdark future that had to be fixed by Rogue.
    She later messes up an inversion spell that turns all the heroes bad and the villains good. (Axis)
    Against Dr. Strange's advice, Wanda casts a spell to bring back all the mutants killed on Genosha, creating a bunch of zombie monsters. (Empyre)

Giving Wanda another power upgrade will only encourage writers to continue casting her as the crazy supervilllain lady. I don't want that. Heck, I would rather have had her mind controlled (as tired as that trope is) then to have her actively responsible for the various mistakes she has made. Personally, at this point I would rather she turn away from dark or chaos magic and rely on some style of less powerful "good" magic and her hex bolts. Think Willow on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" when she first went cold turkey or when she returned after the "Dark Willow" season.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member

I agree that Wanda doesn't need to be much more powerful than she is, though I don't think that keeps her out of Avengers comics. Maybe that writers (who have only read House of M) think she's supposed to have the power to rewrite reality, when it was only for that one story. Still, even recently, writers have never had a problem writing her as part of a team. All they have to do is have her forget all about her other spells in battle and just throw standard hexes around to make stuff blow up or fall down.

(The 1998 run sort of tried to explain this by saying that she has to throw regular "chaos grenades" in battle because she needs to plan and concentrate to do anything really big. But in practice she rarely did much else. She couldn't even teleport or levitate in that run, because it was necessary to keep her at a power level that wouldn't overshadow the team. And that's fine.)

I agree that way too many stories have her screw up, and we may be heading for something like that in her TV series, depending on how they explain what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Hear me out. I feel that Wanda already being rather OP is what keeps her out of regular Avengers titles. Who needs a guy that can throw a Frisbee really hard when you can rewrite reality on a whim? A solo title is the dream, but it would probably end up canceled again. Even popular solo characters like Dr. Strange, the Punisher and Silver Surfer are in a constant state of cancelation and reboots in today's market.

Sadly, several of Wanda's recent appearances seem to revolve around her somehow screwing up the world with her now all too powerful magic. This recent trend has more or less downgraded Wanda back into "villain" status.

In Uncanny Avengers she was manipulated by the Apocalypse Twins (despite thinking she was playing them) resulting in some grimdark future that had to be fixed by Rogue.
    She later messes up an inversion spell that turns all the heroes bad and the villains good. (Axis)
    Against Dr. Strange's advice, Wanda casts a spell to bring back all the mutants killed on Genosha, creating a bunch of zombie monsters. (Empyre)

Giving Wanda another power upgrade will only encourage writers to continue casting her as the crazy supervilllain lady. I don't want that. Heck, I would rather have had her mind controlled (as tired as that trope is) then to have her actively responsible for the various mistakes she has made. Personally, at this point I would rather she turn away from dark or chaos magic and rely on some style of less powerful "good" magic and her hex bolts. Think Willow on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" when she first went cold turkey or when she returned after the "Dark Willow" season.
    Yeah your right I just feel so bad that she always gets possessed/mind controlled and still has to feel guilty. I want her to really confront her demons, one in particular being Chthon. So if she does get mind controlled it won’t be due to him and to really master her chaos magic to use the darkness for good

Since HoM Wanda hasn't consistently been in titles though. And even though that wasn't exactly her own power being used, a large majority of people think it was. Probably even some writers. So it could very well be that the reality warping keeps her out of things. I also think the stain of HoM is still there because they never really actually redeemed the character. Their attempt was very lazy anyway.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Since HoM Wanda hasn't consistently been in titles though. And even though that wasn't exactly her own power being used, a large majority of people think it was. Probably even some writers. So it could very well be that the reality warping keeps her out of things. I also think the stain of HoM is still there because they never really actually redeemed the character. Their attempt was very lazy anyway.
    It was a very lazy attempt, and even more so because they clearly never planned for Wanda to be redeemed. Just shamed for OOC actions and shoved into limbo with Clint and Vision while Wolverine and Spider-Man became main Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Totally agree. The stain of HOM is always going to be there, since Marvel don't want to address it.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

If only Marvel had brought something like this as a Featurette for Wanda and Vision on Disney Plus:

Instead what appeared there a few days before the first episodes was basically just like a typical Fan-Video. I mean no disrespect to the creators of such Fan-Videos, I can imagine how much time it takes just to cut something like that together, but I think one can expect more than that from a paid Marvel employee.

Aside from that, I think the marketing campaign has been great so far, looks like we get a constant stream of interviews while the episodes come out.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

[...]
    I absolutely agree on that one, having a character ridiculously overpowered is fun in the short term. And I myself sometimes fall into that trap, thinking how much fun that is, when I introduce one of my favorite characters to someone else. But in the long run it either leads to writers considering such a character unusable for their stories, or they nerf such a character in which they often overshoot so much that him/her becomes insignificant.

[...]
    Willow’s “Dark Phase” was almost un-comparable (Is that a word?) better handled than Wanda’s “craziness”. It was all Willow’s story - heck, one could argue the entire season six was Willow’s story – and during the entire next season her character got rebuild, which probably was already in planning during the previous season. Wanda on the other hand, was just a tool for a story, and then in more than five years absence from the comics was further demonized. Also Willow being in voluntary exile over the summer, training her magic, was certainly better than Wanda having lost her memory which then was abused by Doctor Doom.

Today Wanda in Strange Academy

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Today Wanda in Strange Academy
    Wanda as a teacher is a cool idea...wish we got to see it more.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wanda as a teacher is a cool idea...wish we got to see it more.
    It would be a good change of pace to see her in the role of a knowledgeable mentor, like a much younger Hogwarts professor. It would counteract how Hickman portrayed her. We could also see how she views her study of magic in light of her new position, since she was taught by Agatha one on one, instead of the magical academy method. Did Wanda ever wish she could have attended a school and been among her peers, or is she grateful that she had a teacher who could devote themselves to her alone at her own pace? Does she see herself in any of her students? Does she give extra credit?

It's so weird that most of her time in this book is in the introductory pages and not in the actual panels. Is Marvel afraid they'll get cooties if they give her panel time anymore?

https://twitter.com/TheCorporal5/sta...68212772495360

Has anyone else noticed that in spite of the incredible success Wandavision is currently having, Wanda in the comics is almost completely absent? Where's the push for HER, Marvel Comic?! #WheresWanda

They're not wrong.