Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Roger Stern!!!

Roger Stern (center) at the top of his game: his introduction of the Hobgoblin and the Masters of Evil toppling the Avengers.

When and What He Did at Timely/Atlas/Marvel: Writer and editor, working regularly from the 1970s through the late 1980s.

Marvel-ous Accomplishments: Stern was the editor shepherding much of the classic Chris Claremont-John Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men in the late 1970s.
    As a writer in the ‘80s, he was akin to Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning: a guy who’s brilliant in the regular season but who doesn’t have a lot of big-game wins under his belt.
    You can’t find a Watchmen or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns on Stern’s resume, but his runs on The Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers are the template on how to write a monthly, ongoing superhero series.
    The stories are solidly executed to be entertaining and memorable without being overly or superficially flashy.
    Those storytelling chops come through in the Amazing Spider-Man issues introducing the Hobgoblin and his Avengers story arc retooling the Masters of Evil into a formidable bad-guy strike team that defeats Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.
    They’re the kind of comics that influence other creators whether they know it or not because of how well they are crafted.

Happy Birthday uncle Rog.
    Thanks for all the fun work.

He's not my uncle, he loves calling himself that.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

A Late Happy Birthday. One day I hope to get his autograph on my HC of Triumph and Torment. I already got Mike Mignola to sign this.

Happy Birthday. Thanks for your Black Knight stuff!

BANNED

Happy belated birthday to the great Roger Stern. A wonderful writer in the Spider-man mythos.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    A Late Happy Birthday. One day I hope to get his autograph on my HC of Triumph and Torment. I already got Mike Mignola to sign this.
    I envy you! I want both of their autographs on my paperback. And Happy Birthday to Uncle Rog!

He has an account here BTW, you can PM him your greets.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Roger Stern!!!

I am eternally grateful to you for co-creating the very first Captain Marvel woman!

A wholly original Captain Marvel for marvel comics who, to me, was a fine leader of the Avengers..

..and battled Zeus, the all-father of the Olympians!

Have a MARVELOUS day!

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

download (1).jpg

stern3.pg.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Thank you for some very memorable and awesome runs on Spidey and The Avengers!!!!

Happy Birthday, Mr. Stern.

The first story of my favorite Doctor Strange run, ever (#46-75).

Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-17-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Happy birthday Mr. Stern. THanks for being a great comic book writer.

Happy belated birthday Mr. Stern. Thank you for all the wonderful comic work you've done over the years .

Fantastic Member

Roger Stern wrote some great Doctor Strange stories, but seeing the panels above it reminds me that he was also exceptional in writing powerful characters without having to downgrade them. Strange was powerful, but Doom still had a plan in Triumph and Torment. Making a woman chairperson of the Avengers waaaay back when. Man, I miss stories like that. Where you had joy in reading about the characters, not worry how much this new writer is going to "f" them up. You set a high bar, sir.

BANNED

To me, you are 100% RIGHT about stories where you as a reader had JOY in reading about the characters and not worry how much this new writer is going to "f" them up.