Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Third issue of North's Power Pack is out now!

So, the mentor thing turned out to be a bust, but great job beating Taskmaster .

spoilers:
    I wonder if they'll get in trouble once Agent Aether's true identity is revealed, since Aether being outed as a villain would invalidate his mentorship credentials? Considering the solicits, I wonder if one of the siblings managed to call the X-Men before they were captured? We know Wolverine's coming, after all.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    I wonder if they'll get in trouble once Agent Aether's true identity is revealed, since Aether being outed as a villain would invalidate his mentorship credentials? Considering the solicits, I wonder if one of the siblings managed to call the X-Men before they were captured? We know Wolverine's coming, after all.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The ones at blame should be Craddle and the ones in charge of Kamala's Law, because the failed to check the credentials of Agent Aether, they were the ones that gave him the mentorship credentials as seen in issue 2 as he showed a card that allowed him to be a menthor. As compensation they should allow Alex being menthor, but they'll probably try to get rid of Power Pack to hide the scandal
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do kind of wonder if they'll address their CRADLE status in the last issue.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Have they been consistent with the Power kids ages?

Originally....
    Alex (12)
    Julie (10)
    Jack (8)
    Katie Power (5)

Now...I get that age really depends on what the writer wants for kids and the story...but these are siblings...and Alex traipsing thru the timestream aside...age progression should be a constant.

For this argument I will use Julie as the baseline. Originally she was 10 years old...and in FF Vol 6 # 12 she mentions flunking out of college...so I would say that at a minimum she is 18-19 years old. Add in that it is mentioned by Alex in this series that he is months away from being 21 and can be the team's "mentor". So...8 years at minimum for Julie from 10 to 18 would put Jack at 16ish and Katie at 13ish...plus or minus based on actual time between births. But Katie and Jack seem to be written in this series as being much younger.

Yeah, in the Marvel Legacy one-shot, Katie was definitely about 12. There's no way her recap art should look so childish.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, in the Marvel Legacy one-shot, Katie was definitely about 12. There's no way her recap art should look so childish.
    Yeah...here she looks only 8-9 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Have they been consistent with the Power kids ages?

Originally....
    Alex (12)
    Julie (10)
    Jack (8)
    Katie Power (5)

Now...I get that age really depends on what the writer wants for kids and the story...but these are siblings...and Alex traipsing thru the timestream aside...age progression should be a constant.

For this argument I will use Julie as the baseline. Originally she was 10 years old...and in FF Vol 6 # 12 she mentions flunking out of college...so I would say that at a minimum she is 18-19 years old. Add in that it is mentioned by Alex in this series that he is months away from being 21 and can be the team's "mentor". So...8 years at minimum for Julie from 10 to 18 would put Jack at 16ish and Katie at 13ish...plus or minus based on actual time between births. But Katie and Jack seem to be written in this series as being much younger.
    I think part of it is trying to maintain the team dynamics and personalities that are defined by their age to some degree.

Of course, them being older (and Katie and Jack being teens) might be why CRADLE was comfortable cuffing them like they did.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think part of it is trying to maintain the team dynamics and personalities that are defined by their age to some degree.

Of course, them being older (and Katie and Jack being teens) might be why CRADLE was comfortable cuffing them like they did.
    Like I said...depends on what the writer wants....but if Julie is 8 years older and Katie is only 3 years old then my suspension of disbelief is pushed past the breaking point.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-13-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. Jack should be the same age as other teen heroes like Miles, Kamala and Sam Nova

Like I said...depends on what the writer wants....but if Julie is 8 years older and Katie is only 3 years old then my suspension of disbelief is pushed past the breaking point.
    Physically I think she looks relatively 13 even if she's asking a little younger (I guess one could argue she's just developed slower).

Extraordinary Member

Physically I think she looks relatively 13 even if she's asking a little younger (I guess one could argue she's just developed slower).
    From what I see...
    1. Physically she reminds me of my best friend's 9 year old daughter.
    2. Her overall behavior
    3. Julie asks her "who taught you words like suck?" after reading the comic Katie wrote
    4. Katie is not pushing back on being called Katie-bear and Katie-bug

From what I see...
    1. Physically she reminds me of my best friend's 9 year old daughter.
    2. Her overall behavior
    3. Julie asks her "who taught you words like suck?" after reading the comic Katie wrote
    4. Katie is not pushing back on being called Katie-bear and Katie-bug
    Physically she looks between 10-13 to me.

I guess you could write off the latter two points with Julie being an over-considerate older sister and Katie letting her family be cute with her.

The original Power Pack run was extremely good - it was like a younger audience but with real issues. Felt like what "New Universe" was trying to be - people who became heroes who had real life problems.
    Granted, the Snarks and all that made it not so much that - but still very enjoyable.
    Can't say I was too big of a fan of the swapping of powers, however in the original run. To me, made it difficult to attach to some of the characters sometimes.
    That Todd Nauck piece is amazing - Todd is so freaking talented. I'd read pretty much any book he did the art for even if the writer wasn't great.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!