14) Tenet (2020) - This one did not work for me. The special effects were really interesting, but the story was flimsy, overly complicated and not featuring anything close to what one would call an interesting character. It's like Nolan took all the criticism of his previous work and decided to make a movie featuring only his tropes that are usually panned. I know Nolan is the internet's Golden Calf, but I've really struggled with his last four films with this one being by far the worst for me. [Amazon Rental]

15) One Night in Miami (2020) - A really fun, thought provoking and moving fictionalized interpretation of a meeting between four major black icons of the early 60s (Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, Muhammad Ali, and Jim Brown). It's a film based on a play, so it struggles with being cinematic at times, but the performances are across the board strong. Plus its worth the price of admission for the final montage alone. [Amazon Prime]

16) The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - This is pretty clear Awards bait, but I enjoyed it. I'm familiar with the subject matter and being naturally interested in New Left organizations, so this film was made for me. Great performances all around and the writing is as crisp as you could hope for for an Aaron Sorkin script. In a way it felt a little documentary-esque where it was just a recounting of the events without much in the way of perspective, which I found to be a bit of a shame. [Netflix]

17) Promising Young Woman (2020) - I thought this was great. It was a little predictable, but if got to where you expect it to go in pretty interesting ways. The director also did an interesting thing where she was constantly reframing the narrative in subtle ways. Like she would create twists, but not make a big deal out of them. It made the movie feel a lot more organic. It was equal parts crowd pleaser and thought provoking. It also does this cool thing where every character in the film is played by a well-known actor or personality, which I think made the film's themes way more effective.[Amazon Rental]

18) Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020) - It makes me really sad that with this film we have the totality of Chadwick Bosemen's film career. He is absolutely transcendent in this and gives a performance that would be making him a clear favorite to win awards, even if he was still with us. Unfortunately, I did not really care for the rest of the film. It's another adaption of a play, but this fares even worse than One Night in Miami. You could really sense that it is supposed to be a thing where a talented actor steps into the spotlight and delivers a monologue. One after the other. I think I would have loved this on stage, but it just didn't work as a movie. [Netflix]

19) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - I am quickly finding out that Crime Comedy is one of my favorite genres and this was a great one. I found that it took a little bit to get going, but once it did, I was completely on board. RDJ was great as that character we know to be the RDJ archetype dialing the charm up to 1000, but he had a vulnerability here that you don't often see from him these days. Val Kilmer was even better though. I wish he did more. He was fantastic. [Blu-ray]

20) The Nice Guys (2016) - Continuing my Shane Black watch-a-thon, we come to this one. I adored this movie. I'd watch a dozen movies starring Crowe and Gosling as these characters breaking up conspiracies in 1970s LA. This might actually be the first time that I have truly enjoyed Ryan Gosling. Where he is usually so subdued, here, he was so deliciously over the top. Killer script and incredibly stylized, this was such a fun watch. I can easily see this one becoming a movie I just throw on when I don't know what else to watch. [Blu-ray]