Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Shang-Chi Appreciation 2021

Hi all. Well it's a new year and so a new appreciation thread for the Master of Kung Fu himself, Shang-Chi!

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Just to get the ball rolling with Shang-Chi news:

- Issue #4 of the Shang-Chi miniseries has just come out.

- Shang-Chi is one of the participants in the "Enter the Phoenix" storyline in Avengers.

- Simu Liu, who will be in the Shang-Chi movie, has posted a clip of himself doing some cool Kung Fu choreography. Check it out!

"I am a man of peace."

So, thinking about the last issue and the vision of Chi being bad. As I understand, in order to not become his father, Chi needs someone to "balance" him? Who or what is going to do that?

This thread is definitely going to take off in 2021

Happy New Year to the Master of Kung-Fu and all his fans .

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So, thinking about the last issue and the vision of Chi being bad. As I understand, in order to not become his father, Chi needs someone to "balance" him? Who or what is going to do that?
    I chalk that up to the legacy of Shang's father. What we're seeing is that Zheng Zu had good intentions, but due to the loss of his more compassionate, younger brother, he had lost his way. The organizations and cults that he were no longer about saving China, but rather taking over the world. Shang is now in a position to rectify that legacy. Now, I'm not sure how. However, I strongly believe he'll take that position of leadership and try to guide it towards a more positive direction. Of course, he could be corrupted by it as his father was. Herein lies an interesting challenge.

Crossing the deadly hands of Kung Fu that we'll see some interesting stories from this!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    This thread is definitely going to take off in 2021
    Crossing those deadly hands, bro .
    "I am a man of peace."

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Looking forward to the movie and reading more Shang-Chi comics!

Also, Jim Cheung is the god of covers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Thought I'd post some updates:

Shang-Chi made an appearance in Avengers #41

spoilers:
    Although all he did was meditate throughout the entire thing. He did win his (brief) fight against Hyperion through this way. Hyperion lost because he the power of the Phoenix was expanding his mind and he couldn't stand to be so open-minded so he yielded to Shang-Chi. There was a reference to Bruce Lee in the narration by T'Challa too: Shang-Chi is a master of many fighting arts. Including the art of fighting without fighting. In what ways would he channel and manifest a power like the Phoenix? What would be become?
    end of spoilers

Also, Simu Liu has hinted at Shang-Chi having unique powers in addition to his fighting skills in a new interview. Also said his costume has "so many zippers."

In a Marvel smackdown between Shang-Chi, Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk and the Black Widow, who wins?

I win! Shang-Chi. I could debate this as a fan for hours, but now that I’ve got some skin in the game, I have to think I could take any of these guys on. Shang-Chi can definitely throw a punch. As for his other skills and powers, you’ll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 01-22-2021 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Thought I'd post some updates:

Shang-Chi made an appearance in Avengers #41

spoilers:
    Although all he did was meditate throughout the entire thing. He did win his (brief) fight against Hyperion through this way. Hyperion lost because he the power of the Phoenix was expanding his mind and he couldn't stand to be so open-minded so he yielded to Shang-Chi. There was a reference to Bruce Lee in the narration by T'Challa too: Shang-Chiis a master of many fighting arts. Including the art of fighting without fighting. In what ways would he channel and manifest a power like the Phoenix? What would be become?
    end of spoilers

Also, Simu Liu has hinted at Shang-Chi having unique powers in addition to his fighting skills in a new interview. Also said his costume has "so many zippers."
    Thanks for mentioning these things. Yeah, the Shang appearance in Avengers #41 was alright. I appreciate the idea of fighting with no fighting. But the meditation thing? Even Shang would be on the alert, ready for a fight. He'd be in a fighting stance at the very least just eyeing his opponent. IT was cool and Shang got the win, but I feel it could have been done more subtly.

As for Simu's post, I like it. He's really showing the confidence he has in Shang. Hoping that Shang can be a big player. But what will Shang do in this movie? If it's a cloning thing.................I'll reserve judgement if they can pull that off. But for now hoping that that doens't happen.
    "I am a man of peace."

Great hearing Jim Starlin's take on Shang-Chi's defining characteristics on comicbook.com https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/sh...on-comics-mcu/.

This is the part that fascinates me:

Starlin joined ComicBook.com's Phase Zero podcast on Friday's live show (which is available now on Apple Podcasts and Spotify), where he was asked to share his perspective of Shang-Chi's most defining characteristics. "The transition from basically assassin to a hero, an indomitable will, and a sort of religious discipline, basically," Starlin says. "I think those are the three elements that make Shang-Chi more than any other character. He's basically focused on the moment and what has to be done. That focus allows him to go on without being stopped, making it very hard to stop him at least."

In fact, Starlin goes so far as to point out that Shang-Chi's intense loyalty to his moral compass could help the character slip into a role similar to that of what Captain America held in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. "They have a lot a possibilities with him that I think are really kind of interesting with the departure of the Captain America, Chris Evans' character, the Marvel Universe is without a moral center," Starlin notes. "He was always acting as that part. Shang-Chi on the other hand, even if he is an assassin to start off with, a moral character, at least the way Englehart and I created and worked with him, and I think most writers after that. So he may be in some ways, Captain America's replacement in the Marvel Universe."
    I can see Shang having that intense focus and discipline. Real Chinese Kung Fu demands those qualities. And yes, Shang has demonstrated them in the comics. Everything could be going to hell and everyone's freaking out. However, Shang is just intent on the moment and figuring out what to do.

As for being a replacement for Cap? That's a bold statement. Shang could be the moral center, but could he be the inspiration? Does he have the quiet dignity? Could he be the leader? Moral center is great, but it means nothing if Shang can't bring others to the cause. Still, the leader.......maybe.
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Shang-Chi & Iron Fist by Gabriele Dell'Otto:

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    MOKF #118 from the classic Doug Moench/Gene Day run ended with Shang-Chi telling Sir Denis Nayland Smith he was the father he never had. Nayland Smith was created by Sax Rohmer and Marvel no longer has the rights to use him, but I'd like to see them introduce some kind of Nayland Smith analogue under another name.

Last edited by Englehart Humperdinck; 01-27-2021 at 05:50 AM.

Great to hear that Simu Liu has made it on to EW's Breakout Stars of 2021 List. Check out the link here: https://ew.com/celebrity/breaking-big-2021/

Very interested in what he had to say for the Shang-Chi movie:

"Shang-Chi hits theaters July 9, pitting Liu's master martial artist against notorious Marvel terrorist organization the Ten Rings. "It's going to surprise a lot of people in how small and intimate it can feel," Liu teases."
    Hmmm, a quiet Shang-Chi movie? An intimate movie? Crossing the deadly hands that we'll get to see some depth with these characters.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hey all. Shang-Chi #5 came out today bringing an end to the miniseries. Sorry didn't update everyone on the issue's publication, I was surprised that it came out today as well. Overall, I liked the end of this series. In some senses, this last issue was a surprise. There wasn't much Kung Fu, no big, flashy kicks or splash pages with Shang duking it out with anyone. But Shang got to show off his skills in other ways. AMAZING ways! Totally shocked at what the Master of Kung Fu did this issue! [spoilers] Shang has such mental discipline to handle all of that anger. He has mental clarity in seeing where Shi Hua's pain leads. AND HE FRIGGIN' CAUGHT A BULLET! Went wide-eyed when I saw that, holy crap! Shang can go bullet time! [/spoilers]

We also got a deep dive into the backstory of Shi Hua and Zheng Zu. The relationship between the two, wanting approval from someone who always sees you as a disappointment, who constantly compares you to others...........how many Asians can relate to that?

The ending is certainly interesting. I can't believe how little coverage it's gotten. This changes the power dynamic in the Marvel Universe. Shang has become a major player. I don't think he's an equal to Namor, Black Panther, or Dr. Doom, but he's definitely been elevated in their eyes. I would love to see him bring this element to the Agents of Atlas.

Plus I like the addition of the new cast. Esme and Takeshi seemed to be excellent characters. Ha, loved Takeshi's poem at the end. Recited it myself once or twice!

My complaints with this issue are the same as with the others though. The story hovers around these great qualities i.e. great fights, great character moments, great dialogue. But it doesn't quite land. It's good though as itself, but it could have been better. I certainly sets up things for future stories though. Indeed, the ending said there would be more Shang-Chi in the future.

In any case, what did you guys think? And where does Shang go from here?
    "I am a man of peace."