Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    In the MCU do you think Shang-chi will get to keep the 10-Rings at the end of the movie?

Certainly an avenue for him to punch above his weight.
    If he does, I could see him only using them as a last resort. Like say, he’s helping the other heroes of the MCU out with another Thanos level threat.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    If he does, I could see him only using them as a last resort. Like say, he’s helping the other heroes of the MCU out with another Thanos level threat.
    I think the idea of a hero using different levels of their own power in different threats is a potentially interesting one.

Of course, if he keeps the rings, I'd like to know where he uses them next in thr MCU

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Shang-Chi will be part of (and is front and center in the cover for) Marvel's Voices: Identity #1 due in August.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...oices-identity

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I just finished my review for Shang Chi #1, and you guys are in for a treat. The entire book is absolutely marvelous from start to finish.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I just finished my review for Shang Chi #1, and you guys are in for a treat. The entire book is absolutely marvelous from start to finish.
    I do trust your reviews! The preview alone is great.

Marvel Preview: Shang-Chi #1

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/05/14/ma...shang-chi-1-3/

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post

Thank you, my friend! I really appreciate the kind words!

Thank you, my friend! I really appreciate the kind words!
    You're welcome. Please, poste it here when the book is out!

Interesting interview, talking about a bit about what we can expect after the first arc:

New Shang-Chi ongoing comic will connect his entire new mythology with the Marvel Universe

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-shang...rvel-universe/

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That sounds silly. Japan already has their own superheroes that they celebrate.
    I know. But they tend to be more celebratory when other people reference their culture. I saw footage of them throwing parades for Tom Cruise for the 'Last Samurai' even though it wasn't received well by Asian Americans. Also see their response to Ghost in the Shell.

Ultimate Member

Because Japanese and Japanese Americans have different experiences with their respective nations' film industries

Hi all. Sorry for not responding. I've been busy. In any case, here are some some of my thoughts:

- As has been mentioned on this thread, the "Shang-Chi" film is facing an uphill battle in Mainland China. Variety wrote about the subject a couple of days ago:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...se-1234971166/

From the article, it appears audiences are hung up on certain criticisms. The racist shadow of Fu Manchu. Simu Li and Awkwafina not meeting the "beauty standards" of Chinese audiences. Another Western made movie that is a hodgepodge of Chinese elements like Kung Fu, lanterns, pagodas, and the color red, all used to pander to the Chinese audiences. Shang-Chi may not even get a full scale release in China. Reports say that the film fill only have a 45 day theatrical run! I'll admit, hearing these criticisms and bad news has been disconcerting. I anticipated that they'd come, but encountering for real has been a blow.

Yes, I've seen these all before. But y'know what? I've countered them all before. Fu Manchu has a racist origin, yes. But he also is a cunning and masterful character. Eliminate the former and emphasize the latter and hype that up. The actors' appearances may not be up to par, but I'm expecting excellent acting and storytelling. Cretton specializes in character moments. And the father/son dynamic of Shang-Chi speaks across any culture. A western made Chinese film that will flop like Mulan? Mulan wasn't set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Shang-Chi is posed to become a huge part of the MCU. That means possible crossovers with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, the Avengers, Spider-Man, etc. After all of these years in the background, finally an Asian/Chinese gets to stand with the world's best heroes. (Possibly, he might even beat them )

So audiences in China won't accept this? I defer to Simu Liu's response that they should "wait and see." I also hope that Chinese audiences open their eyes. Because we're finally going to see what a Chinese character in the MCU can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Shang-Chi will be part of (and is front and center in the cover for) Marvel's Voices: Identity #1 due in August.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...oices-identity

Excellent bro! Yes, I was frustrated that Marvel didn't have anything for AAPI Heritage month, so this is a welcome surprise. Great to see Shang-Chi front and center here.

That was a nice preview. I like the dialogue between Shang and Esme. Now Spider-Man wanting to join this seems a bit too sudden. But, think it would work out. I liked the show of respect Spidey shows Shang and vice versa in the preview. Plus, that's a pretty sweet kick! Looking forward to this Wednesday!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because Japanese and Japanese Americans have different experiences with their respective nations' film industries
    Yes....that is what I said in my post....which you just repeated.

Interesting interview, talking about a bit about what we can expect after the first arc:

New Shang-Chi ongoing comic will connect his entire new mythology with the Marvel Universe

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-shang...rvel-universe/
    Can't wait to check it out. I've been interested in Shang Chi since the movie was announced.

Extraordinary Member

Just one question.Do they job Spider-man or do they do him right.We know he turns into a mystical Spider-beast via preview page but do we get actual good Spider-man or not.
    Still looking forward to the review nonethless

Great preview that seriously has me excited about Shang-Chi. Hope we get a long run out of this series.