Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950 LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 737
  1. #691

    Default

    how often has shang faced off against martial artists of different planets?

  2. #692
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Does comics Shang have the power to go up against all these guys?

  3. #693
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,398

    Default

    I think he could probably take on Mantis.

  4. #694
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how often has shang faced off against martial artists of different planets?
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Does comics Shang have the power to go up against all these guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he could probably take on Mantis.
    In recent times, Shang has had encounters with aliens. There was the time that he went up against Black Dwarf:



    Or the time he took that shot from Hiriom back during World War Hulk:



    Those instances, eh, not the best showings of the Master of Kung Fu. Cool, but brief, indiscernible, or inconclusive.

    Think it would be cool for Shang to go up to space. Said it before, maybe he could train with Mantis or Gamora.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  5. #695
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Jaunary solicitation for that month's issue of Shang-Chi:





    GENE LUEN YANG (W) • DIKE RUAN (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

    HEADSHOT SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY JIM CHEUNG

    The story of the true origin of Shang-Chi’s family concludes!

    Shang-Chi’s parents, Jiang Li and Zheng Zu, have fallen in love and built a nurturing family. But what terrible event rips Shang-Chi’s family apart forever? It’s not what you think!

    Plus: In the present, Shang-Chi continues to fight off an assassination attempt from all sides!

    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    We see the reveal of the big bad here. But who could it be? Someone completely new? Maybe a new version of Black Jack Tarr? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Still, I'm liking it. Yu's art is always a pleasure. Cheung's art as well.

    I like the scene too. We see Shang in desperation. We never see that. Can the master of Kung Fu deal with this? Hmmmm.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 10-23-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  6. #696

    Default

    intriguing that his origin is being reshaped. I hope that fans accept the sincere attempt and not overreact-- especially since Marvel never owned Fu Manchu or the other Rohmer characters. If they are obliquely acknowledged down the line fine. But since the original series ended in 1983, Shang has only had a handful of mini series and short stints in team books. He's decades overdue for a full revamp. I hope that the publishing side of things keeps him in stories, especially since the film is successful and drives attention to any printed material available.

  7. #697
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    I hope he's not stuck just fighting martial arts guys. While I don't need to see him beat Thanos, I think if they're going to incorporate him into more comics, he needs to not be stuck in just one corner of Marvel

  8. #698
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I hope he's not stuck just fighting martial arts guys. While I don't need to see him beat Thanos, I think if they're going to incorporate him into more comics, he needs to not be stuck in just one corner of Marvel
    I wouldn't mind seeing him fight some Spider-Man foes like the Scorpion or the Vulture or the Rhino.

    Or they could just make up whatever power / appearance they want to play with and brand it as some Arakki mutant gated over to Earth to cause some crap that Shang has to put a stop to, and since the Arakki only respect strength...

  9. #699
    Amazing Member Yin&Yang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I hope he's not stuck just fighting martial arts guys. While I don't need to see him beat Thanos, I think if they're going to incorporate him into more comics, he needs to not be stuck in just one corner of Marvel
    I mean you had Frank Castle become cosmic ghost rider. Daredevil became Captain Universe, In War of the Realms Heimdall gave powers to Daredevil.

    Why not have storylines where Shang-chi borrows some powers.

  10. #700
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I hope he's not stuck just fighting martial arts guys. While I don't need to see him beat Thanos, I think if they're going to incorporate him into more comics, he needs to not be stuck in just one corner of Marvel
    Me, I'd want to set him up in that corner first. He is one of the premiere martial artists in the MU. That has to be established. So yes, I'd like to see him go at it with some of the best fighters in the Marvel Universe.

    Still, after that is done, then we set him up in other parts of the MU. Genres should not confine him. A model I think could be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Ostensibly, the Ninja Turtles are street heroes who use martial arts. Yes, stories featuring them fighting Foot ninja on the rooftops of NYC are appropriate. But then they are off in deep space or Dimension X. They're fighting rogue alien conquerors, ancient demons, robots, mutants, etc. Allowing the Ninja Turtles to fight in different scenarios keeps things fresh.

    So the same should apply to Shang-Chi. Yes, he should be fighting Batroc, Mr. X, and Taskmaster. He should be hanging out with Iron Fist and Daredevil. I'd like him to go to war with The Hand (seriously, how much of an awesome story would that be)? In the latest series, he actually went to the Negative Zone to retrieve his mother. However, it would be cool to see him:

    1) pay a visit to the Kree/Skrull alliance.
    2) visit Storm in Arrako on Mars.
    3) establish relations with T'Challa in Wakanda, Namor in Atlantis, or Dr. Doom in Latveria.
    4) go to Asgard and meet Thor (which might happen next issue)
    5) fight the Dormammu and the Mindless Ones in the Dark Dimension with Dr. Strange
    6) head to the Savage Land
    7) pay a visit to the Jade Emperor and the Chinese gods (I see the Chinese gods will be appearing in DC's the Monkey Prince. Argh, Marvel, you dropped the ball on this one!)
    8) clash with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.

    As you can see, there are a multitude of story possibilities with Shang-Chi in the Marvel Universe.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  11. #701
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing him fight some Spider-Man foes like the Scorpion or the Vulture or the Rhino.

    Or they could just make up whatever power / appearance they want to play with and brand it as some Arakki mutant gated over to Earth to cause some crap that Shang has to put a stop to, and since the Arakki only respect strength...
    I tend to be a little conflicted with him being able to take on such guys when he doesn't have any real powers himself. Although seeing him fight Scorpion or Rhino could be interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    I mean you had Frank Castle become cosmic ghost rider. Daredevil became Captain Universe, In War of the Realms Heimdall gave powers to Daredevil.

    Why not have storylines where Shang-chi borrows some powers.
    There was some earlier speculation he'd get his own 'Rings'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Me, I'd want to set him up in that corner first. He is one of the premiere martial artists in the MU. That has to be established. So yes, I'd like to see him go at it with some of the best fighters in the Marvel Universe.

    Still, after that is done, then we set him up in other parts of the MU. Genres should not confine him. A model I think could be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Ostensibly, the Ninja Turtles are street heroes who use martial arts. Yes, stories featuring them fighting Foot ninja on the rooftops of NYC are appropriate. But then they are off in deep space or Dimension X. They're fighting rogue alien conquerors, ancient demons, robots, mutants, etc. Allowing the Ninja Turtles to fight in different scenarios keeps things fresh.

    So the same should apply to Shang-Chi. Yes, he should be fighting Batroc, Mr. X, and Taskmaster. He should be hanging out with Iron Fist and Daredevil. I'd like him to go to war with The Hand (seriously, how much of an awesome story would that be)? In the latest series, he actually went to the Negative Zone to retrieve his mother. However, it would be cool to see him:

    1) pay a visit to the Kree/Skrull alliance.
    2) visit Storm in Arrako on Mars.
    3) establish relations with T'Challa in Wakanda, Namor in Atlantis, or Dr. Doom in Latveria.
    4) go to Asgard and meet Thor (which might happen next issue)
    5) fight the Dormammu and the Mindless Ones in the Dark Dimension with Dr. Strange
    6) head to the Savage Land
    7) pay a visit to the Jade Emperor and the Chinese gods (I see the Chinese gods will be appearing in DC's the Monkey Prince. Argh, Marvel, you dropped the ball on this one!)
    8) clash with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.

    As you can see, there are a multitude of story possibilities with Shang-Chi in the Marvel Universe.
    As long as he's beating foes that make sense to for him to beat, depending on his power level. Shang vs Taskmaster would be an interesting fight

    Idk how much of a martial arts side Marvel has in the first place, though

  12. #702
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    As long as he's beating foes that make sense to for him to beat, depending on his power level. Shang vs Taskmaster would be an interesting fight

    Idk how much of a martial arts side Marvel has in the first place, though
    Enough for a long Masters of Kung-Fu run .

  13. #703
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    11,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Enough for a long Masters of Kung-Fu run .
    Really? I didn't know it was that extensive. Would you include the Hand and/or Elektra in that side of Marvel?

  14. #704
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Really? I didn't know it was that extensive. Would you include the Hand and/or Elektra in that side of Marvel?
    More or less, yeah.

  15. #705
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I tend to be a little conflicted with him being able to take on such guys when he doesn't have any real powers himself. Although seeing him fight Scorpion or Rhino could be interesting



    There was some earlier speculation he'd get his own 'Rings'



    As long as he's beating foes that make sense to for him to beat, depending on his power level. Shang vs Taskmaster would be an interesting fight

    Idk how much of a martial arts side Marvel has in the first place, though
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Enough for a long Masters of Kung-Fu run .
    Marvel certainly has a lot of martial artists. Sometimes that world bleeds into the street level section. Iron Fist, Colleen Wing, Misty Knight, The Immortal Weapons, Daredevil (both Matt and Elektra), Black Panther, White Tiger, Captain America, Echo, Black Widow, Master Izo, Stick, those are some heroes that come to mind.

    As for the villains, again, the list bleeds into other categories. For me, that would be the mercenaries, assassins, tough guys, and legit psychopaths of the Marvel Universe. Crossbones, Bullseye, Lady Bullseye, Mr. X, Batroc, Zaran, Razor Fist, The Hand, Davos, Temugin, Black Tarantula, those are some of the villains that come to mind.

    Lots of folks Shang could cross paths with.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •