Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

- However, the prospect of the movie opening in China is doubtful: https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...el-1234830474/

Some of Simu Liu's previous comments concerning China may prevent the movie from appearing in the Mainland. That is sad. The CCP has some insecurity issues.
    China Problem: Is Shang-Chi's Future In The MCU In Trouble?

Someone mention this as well in the comment section.

BlackRice19 quote-
    I think Shang Chi’s future with Simu Liu might be regulated to Disney Plus. It’s sort of hard to imagine they would even cross him over with other characters in non Avengers movies. Corporations unfortunately will cater to China. Too many dollars potentially at stake here.

We could be looking at a Mark Ruffalo situation. Where he’s just not gonna get another solo film but get mixed into other movies. For sure they can’t put him into future Avengers movies. China gave Endgame $600 Million at the box office. Disney WILL NOT give up a chance to make that kind of money in future films.

Last edited by mace11; 09-14-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Simu has been trending on Twitter and like most trends, I'm not aware of I need someone to explain the situation to me like a child. I'm not jumping to any conclusions from social media.

I guess I'll just wait till the dust settles and someone who has been patiently following everything can give me the breakdown
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Simu has been trending on Twitter and like most trends, I'm not aware of I need someone to explain the situation to me like a child. I'm not jumping to any conclusions from social media.

I guess I'll just wait till the dust settles and someone who has been patiently following everything can give me the breakdown
    Someone dug up some old Reddit posts of Simu’s.

Major yikes for me.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well, damn.This is one of those, making a comparison that you think is legit but you ignore a few big factors and don't read it to yourself before posting, I don't think he's a horrible person or anything.

Also just saw that Seb and Olsen and done some bad stuff like saying slurs, etc..I doubt this affects the films

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Even if I understand where he is coming from, that comparison was just absolutely unnecessary and it's obviously not going to go over well, because you just know that everything people are gonna take from it is ''Marvel actor compares pedophilia with homosexuality'', and... yeah, you can see how that's a bad look.

Apparently there are some other stuff people found too, like him talking about terrorism stuff (?), and some muslims took offense to that. Honestly, I'm not sure if he's getting cancelled CANCELLED over this. I feel like his team could easily spin this as a James Gunn situation (as in, ''he did this years ago and is a different person now'') so his job is safe, but now that the digital footprint is there, it's the kind of controversy that will always follow him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well, damn.This is one of those, making a comparison that you think is legit but you ignore a few big factors and don't read it to yourself before posting, I don't think he's a horrible person or anything.

Also just saw that Seb and Olsen and done some bad stuff like saying slurs, etc..I doubt this affects the films
    It most likely won’t. I think he should be ok and he does seem like a sweet person in real life. But people are going to give him the side eye from here on out.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Outside of the comparison, it seems like a lot of the other stuff is being taken out of context. He does seem like a nice person in general though. That doesn't mean he doesn't have problematic views. Most people in fact do anyway.

So I've been digging into to this pretty heavily, there are accusations of him being racist and an incel. Those 2 accusations seem to have zero merit and there is no proof of it at all.

The only real one that is problematic is the one where he compares homosexuality to pedophilia, it turns out it was in reply to a reddit/world news article about Germany trying to encourage people with pedophilic tendencies to seek confidential help/ therapy.

Simu replies saying he did once did research for a role he played and became sympathetic to people who had pedophilic tendencies and urges as they are something a person has no control over, similar to your sexual orientation.

He clearly stated in the post that people who acted out into these tendencies and who did harm to children are disgusting and vile but agreed that non offenders should seek help as it would keep more children safe that way.

His post is in good faith but the direct comparison of pedophilia to being gay was definitely not smart, and unfortunately it's the single thing that people are highlighting on social media with no context at all.

He definitely shouldn't have made that comparison but besides that, I would say yea, this is not too far off from a smear campaign, peoole are definitely trying to cancel him.

.... just... how in the hell do people even "know" that certain social media profiles are his? Are his friends (ex-friends?) "outing" him, who the hell invests this much energy in digging down these digital rabbit holes..? Fandom of anyone writ large is going to be increasingly problematic from now on...

I'm not hung up on whether the film is released in China or not. I'm comfortable in speculating that the native Chinese investors are making their money back already, I'm sure. If there's enough concern among them, they will approach the government censors. The knock that it's Simu's fault for telling his family's truth of their emigration story is just obscene. The clickbait professionals chase any random flimsy angle to say that this project is a failure.

All too bad that Simu won't get to have scenes with Chadwick Boseman. In a future movie that would have been great for a team-up.

I'll have to see the movie again soon.

Second I heard this I had the strong suspicion that whatever it was it would be cherry picked, taken out of context, or just a straight up fabricated lie. And yep that's what it was. His comments about the pedo stuff was definitely worded badly on him but it is nowhere near as bad as some people are trying to claim it is.

Anybody else feels this is some rando on the internet trying to make a sequel to the whole James Gunn fiasco, but realized they would have to spin the actual truth to fit their own narrative?

I also get the feeling they did this without realizing Reddit archives everything even after being deleted. It's just too easy for people to look into this and find out most of what was accused to be utter b#$%$#.

Hopefully this applies to Alan Horn and the rest of the Disney executives so they wont repeat another unwarranted knee jerk firing.

Now that the movie came out, do you think the comics will give Shang Chi those ten rings? And if so, how soon do you think it would happen?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Now that the movie came out, do you think the comics will give Shang Chi those ten rings? And if so, how soon do you think it would happen?
    I can't be sure it'll happen, but maybe. At least for a little while, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Would be cool if they can find a way to incorporate the ten rings in his fight against Thor in issue #6

-Shang Chi is doing really well for a movie that didn't release in China. It's having a better performance than BW whose main character was in four Avengers movies and 2 Cap movies.

-They're trying really hard to sink Simu Liu. I hope they don't succeed. They're definitely going to try and twist this into him being a pedo sympathizer. Just because you understand why or how someone is a pedo does not mean that you support it and he is very clearly not sympathetic towards those who act on their urges. Unfortunately neither twitter nor reddit is the place for these discussion and smooth brainers will try to present this as something else and group think will force others to go along with it.