Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I would love an Asian female character whose just a cool friend and not a kung fu master.
    so, "Asian Mary Jane" or another personality angle?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, what I've read of Leiko...seems pretty different from what I've heard of Awkwafina's character.
    Yeah, they're totally different, but I just assumed Katy replaces Leiko, just like Shang's father and sister were replaced with adjacent characters (in his dad's case, with a villain from another franchise). Since Shang-Chi is going in a more fantasy direction, Idk if Leiko will show up, but the MCU could always use more of his MI6 comics lore in future films.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Well, after all has been said and done, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has crushed Labor Day expectations with a record setting $90 million dollars:

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...rd-1235057013/

I remember when I first heard about the film. I remember saying that Shang-Chi had a huge mountain to climb. A c-list Asian character rooted in Yellow Peril and stereotypes had to prove to an audience that it was successful. It had to have great characterization while not forgoing its Kung Fu roots. And it had to endure multiple delays because of a pandemic. I said that we had to keep the deadly hands of Kung Fu crossed that it would succeed on all of those accounts.

And it did . Critically acclaimed, financially successful, insanely popular, Shang-Chi did it all.

Now, I can't be totally happy. I do have my critiques on the film. Yet the more I think about the film, the more I see positives. Maybe a second watch through less critical eyes, either this weekend or when the film comes out on Disney Plus, will help. But overall, the film was great. And finally, FINALLY, after all these years, I see people see the potential that I knew was in Shang-Chi.
    First thank you Digicom and Tien Long for the replies, I can't wait to see the movie myself, I have read already read too much spoilers, it's just after tarantino fiasco with Bruce Lee last year, I really would have loved a direct referece to him; just to pay tribute to the main inspiration of Shang Chi.

Now apparently there are maybe a little mistake about the box office from Variety, in fact that could have been closer to 95 millions for the weekend in USA :

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...ooks_like_19m/

That crazy, remember that Shang Chi have crushed the labor day records....during a pandemic !!!! I'm really curious to know the success he would have done during normal times; after Mortal Kombat and Snake eyes, I was little scared for this movie, I mean since this weekend I have the feeling I live in alternate reality where everybody know who is Shang Chi., that not onely good for Marvel and the character (and the fans of course), but that will give the biggest push that the asian talents needed in Hollywood; I can see lot of projects to be "green lighted" after that (Silent Flute project, Warriors futur seasons etc...).

I'm extremely happy for Simu Liu, the guy have been attacked by an international groups of trolls during all this waiting, he have been very patient, that should have been very difficult for him to wait for to show them the result of his works, I really hope he enjoy all this success because he deserve that, I have read that the movie have been relatively well received in HK, I think lot of peoples have eaten crows.

Tien Long I think it's normal that you are more "critic" that the average audience, we have waited lof of years, we have more expectations that most peoples (see my question about influences, Bruce Lee etc....), I'm pretty sure I will be not happy with lot of things, we are more careful about details, specially about Shang Chi, the comics was extremely "niche", litteraly a more mature comics about kungfu and spies, no superheroes, no spandex etc..., for a long time it was barely inside the Marvel universe, it was closer in style to the universe of Enter the Dragon, like you have said he has lot of mountain to climb.

Maybe it's a little too soon to hope about that, but what spin-off would you like from Shang Chi worlds ? There are a rumor about a reboot Iron Fist/Luke Cage tv show with Lewis Tan:

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021...ies-exclusive/
    Last edited by Bolo; 09-08-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Mighty Member

It's great to see that the box office has been so successful so far considering we are still in a pandemic. Hopefully a sequel will begin development soon. It would be cool to get a MCU version of Midnight Sun and I am so so wanting to see Shen Kuei (The Cat). Especially if they utilize him similar to the comics in that he is Shang's equal in combat and the fact that they have never defeated each other. It would be interesting to see how is will fit into this universe since Shang is not an espionage type agent in the MCU like he has been in the comics.

Shang needs a higher profile in the video games.
    A solo game would be great, also being part of the current Avengers RPG game and also that new Midnight Suns game.

spoilers:
    Also, he describes himself as "Xu Shang Chi" reflecting his father Wenwu's last name. So is this ever addressed in the comics? Does he have an official full name?
    end of spoilers

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so, "Asian Mary Jane" or another personality angle?
    I was thinking closer to Katy from the film where she is a bit rough around the edges but is willing to learn how to fight also someone who is really funny

I don't want a damsel in distress, but a capable Asian woman who isn't a mythical/magical fighter type

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    LMAO, make these idiots look more like fools

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I really love Shang Chi. In today’s issue Yang brings up how the number 4 is the number associated with death in a lot of Asian cultures, and considered bad luck. Yang’s inclusion of Asian cultural references, and bringing literary characters into mainstream comics makes me love this book so much more.

And just like that, Simu Liu became one of my new favorite actors.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

"perhaps father was wrong about mutants." lol. I am just loving this book and the chi family. The art is amazing and i love that you can see the ethnic features on the characters. Just really a suprise treat this book has been.

mY fave line has to be. 'then don't kick them sister.'' esme'' i can't help it, my body is too well trained.'' lmao 11 out of 10 for sure.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-08-2021 at 05:28 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    It's great to see that the box office has been so successful so far considering we are still in a pandemic. Hopefully a sequel will begin development soon. It would be cool to get a MCU version of Midnight Sun and I am so so wanting to see Shen Kuei (The Cat). Especially if they utilize him similar to the comics in that he is Shang's equal in combat and the fact that they have never defeated each other. It would be interesting to see how is will fit into this universe since Shang is not an espionage type agent in the MCU like he has been in the comics.
    Shen Kuei will be amazing, I think with him they could explore the less fantasy elements of Shang Chi comics, something closer to the original run, yes I mean closer to Bruce Lee; Midnight Sun would be cool, and Marvel could explore his links with the Kree.

Mighty Member

It's always interesting to see how much people with their so predictions underestimate how much people want to see heroes that look like them on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't she thematically replacing his female friend Leiko from the comics?
    Perhaps. Katy was pretty funny and added that everyday person quality to the film. The vibe I was getting was mostly platonic. When Katy's "nai nai" or mom was asking Shang when she and him would get married, I took that as just a deperate grandma or mom wanting to see a daughter start a family. Basic Asian stuff, y'know. Could it lead to more things though? Not sure. Really like the Leiko and Shang pairing. The original series features them a lot. But Shang being with someone else, I'll entertain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    First thank you Digicom and Tien Long for the replies, I can't wait to see the movie myself, I have read already read too much spoilers, it's just after tarantino fiasco with Bruce Lee last year, I really would have loved a direct referece to him; just to pay tribute to the main inspiration of Shang Chi.

Now apparently there are maybe a little mistake about the box office from Variety, in fact that could have been closer to 95 millions for the weekend in USA :

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...ooks_like_19m/

That crazy, remember that Shang Chi have crushed the labor day records....during a pandemic !!!! I'm really curious to know the success he would have done during normal times; after Mortal Kombat and Snake eyes, I was little scared for this movie, I mean since this weekend I have the feeling I live in alternate reality where everybody know who is Shang Chi., that not onely good for Marvel and the character (and the fans of course), but that will give the biggest push that the asian talents needed in Hollywood; I can see lot of projects to be "green lighted" after that (Silent Flute project, Warriors futur seasons etc...).

I'm extremely happy for Simu Liu, the guy have been attacked by an international groups of trolls during all this waiting, he have been very patient, that should have been very difficult for him to wait for to show them the result of his works, I really hope he enjoy all this success because he deserve that, I have read that the movie have been relatively well received in HK, I think lot of peoples have eaten crows.

Tien Long I think it's normal that you are more "critic" that the average audience, we have waited lof of years, we have more expectations that most peoples (see my question about influences, Bruce Lee etc....), I'm pretty sure I will be not happy with lot of things, we are more careful about details, specially about Shang Chi, the comics was extremely "niche", litteraly a more mature comics about kungfu and spies, no superheroes, no spandex etc..., for a long time it was barely inside the Marvel universe, it was closer in style to the universe of Enter the Dragon, like you have said he has lot of mountain to climb.

Maybe it's a little too soon to hope about that, but what spin-off would you like from Shang Chi worlds ? There are a rumor about a reboot Iron Fist/Luke Cage tv show with Lewis Tan:

https://www.thathashtagshow.com/2021...ies-exclusive/
    Thanks for the compliments, bro. Shang achieved the impossible. That's starting to sink in. And yes, we critical fans of Shang-Chi are critical. But the positives outweigh the negatives. Again, I wonder if I should see it again this weekend with a less judgmental eye.

As for what corner of the Marvel Universe this could lead to, I also said that Shang's father has to have interacted with the Hand and K'un Lun. The comics show that he interacted with The Ancient One. Better yet, I guarantee you he fought and beat Apocalypse. So all of that is on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Well said! Midnight Sun, The Cat, Zaran, those are some of the folks I'd like to see in a follow up Shang-Chi movie. As has already been established Batroc is already in the MCU. I've been saying it for years that Shang-Chi should face off against Mr. X. A sadistic, psychopathic martial artist versus Shang-Chi, who is the epitome of humaneness and empathy. Shang-Chi ain't flinching against this guy, hell no!

I'll be honest, part of me was afraid that might happen. THe story might fall through, audiences wouldn't care for a Chinese Kung Fu master superhero, I thought Shang-Chi would flop as well. But it didn't! So yeah, no problem with Simu posting his Photostock memes.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I really love Shang Chi. In today’s issue Yang brings up how the number 4 is the number associated with death in a lot of Asian cultures, and considered bad luck. Yang’s inclusion of Asian cultural references, and bringing literary characters into mainstream comics makes me love this book so much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    "perhaps father was wrong about mutants." lol. I am just loving this book and the chi family. The art is amazing and i love that you can see the ethnic features on the characters. Just really a suprise treat this book has been.

mY fave line has to be. 'then don't kick them sister.'' esme'' i can't help it, my body is too well trained.'' lmao 11 out of 10 for sure.
    And yes, let's not forget that Shang-Chi #4 premiered today. Really liked it. Again, the usage of four, describing how it's so associated with "death" and basically bad luck in Asian cultures was spot on. Not many non-Asians know about this. I'm reminded of the times I couldn't wear my Fantastic Four shirt because of that belief!

Some huge bombshells in this issue. We see more of the MU express concern with Shang-Chi's new role. We see some excellent fight scenes. But more importantly we see spoilers:
    Shang-Chi's mom?! Woah, I thought in the comics, Shang-Chi's mom was a white woman! Did Gene change the story to fit the movie? If so, I get it, I've been saying that Shang-Chi's mom should be Chinese. But what about his former mom? How does that work out?
    end of spoilers

For now, I'm okay with that since I think it will be explored in the future. Otherwise, another great issue.

Keeping the deadly hands crossed that we see more Shang-Chi in the Marvel Universe!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."