Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So who all out there are:

A) wanting the ten rings to be batteries for a spaceship of giant dragons?

B) okay with them representing something else?
    Idk if they have to be batteries, or simply just tools

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I understand the feeling as I felt the same emotion when the Black Panther trailer dropped years ago. Very happy for you and all Shang-Chi fans. I'll even add that this was probably the best MCU movie trailer yet. If the rest of the movie delivers we may have a new breakout star on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I feel the same. This character deserves greatness!
    Ha, thanks for the shout out's everyone. Yes, while I'm a bit more composed since this morning, I'm still excited. Watched the trailer several times already and just glad every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Rumor has it that the rings are big because they are supposed to be worn as rings on dragons fingers (Fin Fang Foom)
    Ha, interesting. Yes, I like the rings going over the arms now rather than on the fingers. They feel sleek. And truth be told, I always had issues imagining the Mandarin firing an energy beam from just his pinkie, y'know?

As for what the rings were, I've always gone for mystical or godly. Now, I've always chaffed at Marvel's mystical beings (i.e the Asgardians) as aliens with highly evolved tech. Same thing when I've heard about Fin Fang Foom. But, it depends on how it's presented. If that alien tech looks just so otherworldly and celestial, then maybe I'd accept.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ew.com published an article on the Shang-Chi movie. Here's what directors, actors, and producers had to say about the character and film: https://ew.com/movies/shang-chi-and-...iu-first-look/

How Destin Cretton felt taking up the character:

Destin Daniel Cretton never wanted to make a Marvel movie. The 42-year-old director built his career on quiet, introspective dramas like Short Term 12, The Glass Castle, and Just Mercy — not exactly your typical superhero spectacle. He remembers telling friends that he had no desire to join the world of capes and comic book heroes — until he read a 2018 news report that Marvel was developing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, its first film with an Asian protagonist.

"When that announcement came out, I just went instantly back to my childhood," Cretton explains. "[Growing up] all I had was Spider-Man. Because he had the mask on, I could dress up like Spider-Man for Halloween. I had a handful of other characters that looked like me on screen, but there were maybe two or three that I could choose from, and superheroes were not a part of that."
    This is how Simu Liu feels about the character:
    "The most exciting thing about stepping into this character was that his backstory has never been told before," Liu says. "We know so many different versions of Batman's origin story, how his parents were murdered when he was very young. We know Peter Parker, who was bitten by a radioactive spider, and he loses his uncle. Shang-Chi's story is very much unknown to most of the world, so we had a lot of freedom and creative liberty to make it the way that we wanted to."

What producers feel is the core of the character:

The core of Shang-Chi's arc in the comics is really a family drama," says producer Jonathan Schwartz. "That was something that Destin keyed into really early on in our conversations, the idea of taking this broken family and this really dark, even abusive family background and seeing what that does to a child over time."
    A more layered approach to the Mandarin:
    Wenwu is a new character, created entirely for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He has ties to the Ten Rings, the mysterious terrorist organization first name-dropped in 2008's Iron Man. As Schwartz and Feige put it, Wenwu has "gone by many names" throughout the decades — and one of those titles is "the Mandarin," one of Marvel Comics' most infamous villains. That name previously popped up in 2013's Iron Man 3, only for that version of the character (played by Ben Kingsley) to be revealed as a fraud, an out-of-work actor named Trevor Slattery. Leung's Wenwu is something new — and far more dangerous.

"I think people hear 'the Mandarin' and expect a very specific kind of thing, and that may not be the thing they're getting," Schwartz teases. "They're hopefully getting a more complex and layered take on the character than that name would lead you to."
    Some other great information in the article as well. Check it out!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

So his dad mistreated him?

Also, I wonder how old Wenwu will be

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

A big budget Shang-Chi movie, my dreams have come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So his dad mistreated him?

Also, I wonder how old Wenwu will be
    The characters behind him in that flashback were in "Small Seal Script".

Assuming the design was contemporary, that would place it somewhere between 220 BC and 202 BC, when it was supplanted by "clerical script".

Extraordinary Member

I want some sort of Fu Manchu reference...something like the ficitonal Fu Manchu was based on his father.

Shang-chi combining Grounded, Mystical and Cosmic elements.

I'll take it!

Marvel Studios making their own Shang-chi lore?

Cant wait for the Synergy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I want some sort of Fu Manchu reference...something like the ficitonal Fu Manchu was based on his father.
    Since they say his pops has gone by many names over the years, maybe Fu Manchu can be one of them.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    The characters behind him in that flashback were in "Small Seal Script".

Assuming the design was contemporary, that would place it somewhere between 220 BC and 202 BC, when it was supplanted by "clerical script".
    Interesting. I'm guessing he'll be older than he looks.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Since they say his pops has gone by many names over the years, maybe Fu Manchu can be one of them.
    I would be fine with that too...I think that since that how the characters were originally introduced that there should be something referencing it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Please no, Fu Manchu was pretty much an example of yellow peril,
    so it's kind of racist, and Marvel is trying to stay away from that character root,
    there would be pretty big backlash honestly.

Haven't posted in Shang's thread for quite a while, not since the pandemic killed most of the conversation about his film, but that trailer? Oh yeah, had to pop back in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Oh god.....I'm crying now. Honestly, I'm fucking crying right now.

Finally, Shang is going to be in a theater. Finally, there's a hero who looks like me that can stand side by side with Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, Thor, the Avengers, and all the other MCU heroes. After all of these years of championing what Shang could be, I see it here in this trailer. (And to the posters who've lent their support for Shang, thank you guys. It means a lot).

This means so many other things too. It means I'm not a virus. I'm not a victim. I'm a hero.

Oh god, I can't tell you how happy I am.

Definitely looking forward to this now!
    This post, brother. I cannot imagine what this is for you, but I am so gods damn happy you have it.

Option B. I enjoy a good giant monster and/or dragon as much as the next guy, but I never really liked the alien thing for the ten rings. Just seemed very out of genre for both Mandarin specifically and Iron Man generally, and not in a good "subverting expectations" kind of way. At least in my limited experience with the villain.

But this is a different kind of ten rings for a different hero, and Shang fighting giant evil space dragons has *all* the appeal, so I could get behind it.

Screw it, I don't care how they handle the rings. I just want a good movie that makes Tien Long cry angel tears of joy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Idk how Shang-Chi could beat FFF, assuming he's the dragon