Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

how often has Larry Hama written Shang-Chi over the years? Just wondering. With Snake Eyes getting a solo movie (and recast as Asian) it's interesting to note that the character was nurtured at Marvel 1982-1994, but now is completely separated from Marvel, and Shang Chi mostly disappeared publishing-wise during the 1980s after the initial solo series ended.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how often has Larry Hama written Shang-Chi over the years? Just wondering. With Snake Eyes getting a solo movie (and recast as Asian) it's interesting to note that the character was nurtured at Marvel 1982-1994, but now is completely separated from Marvel, and Shang Chi mostly disappeared publishing-wise during the 1980s after the initial solo series ended.
    I don’t think he has, which is a shame.

Nice preview from Shang-Chi #2 of Brother Sabre and Shang-Chi!

Looking very cool!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Nice preview from Shang-Chi #2 of Brother Sabre and Shang-Chi!

Looking very cool!
    Men In… Gray and Red? Not Black?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Gray and manbunny are the new black.

A little short movie from Simu, very fun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJajpdjLpd/

And a very cool interaction between him and...Jet Li about the cover of Men's Health:

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1395091035328442374

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Men with Style also works .

Incredible Member

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/06/03/ma...k-shang-chi-2/

Issue 2 (Unlettered).
    Not looking half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/06/03/ma...k-shang-chi-2/

Issue 2 (Unlettered).
    Not looking half bad.
    Not bad at all. Shang looking dapper. Always knew he could sling that shield. Lady Iron Fan is giving me some serious Kitana vibes.
    "I am a man of peace."

Great article featuring Simu Liu and Shang. You can check it out here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-time-rcna1071

This one quote got me:

It also helps, Liu said, that some questionable elements from the source material, like the shape-shifting dragon-like being puzzlingly named “Fin Fang Foom,” do not make an appearance in the movie.
    Yep, the rumors have been squelched, Fin Fang Foom will NOT be in the Shang-Chi film. Possibly .
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

Great article featuring Simu Liu and Shang. You can check it out here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-time-rcna1071

This one quote got me:

Yep, the rumors have been squelched, Fin Fang Foom will NOT be in the Shang-Chi film. Possibly .
    So if the shape-shifting alien dragon did show up, he would have a more modernized, less awkward name?

Also, has any Vietnam war movie ever properly portrayed Vietnamese people?
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 06-04-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So if the shape-shifting alien dragon did show up, he would have a more modernized, less awkward name?

Also, has any Vietnam war movie ever properly portrayed Vietnamese people?
    Ha, maybe he'll have a new kind of name. We true fans will know the real deal though .

As for a Vietnam movie, I think Simu is just asking for more authenticity and ownership in those types of films. I wince somewhat when he talks about the old Shang-Chi series. Yeah, white men, predominantly Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy, were at the helm of that series. And yes, there are definitely some inaccuracies in terms of Chinese culture. But they were responsive to their audience. There were attempts to be more progressive with the series. The letters section of the series for a number of years had a dialogue between the creators and Asian-American reader Bill Wu who did address issues of representation in the series. (Bill would later publish a book on the Yellow Peril phenomenon in media). Could representation been better? Yeah. But for it's time, there were some good points of Shang-Chi's series.

Also, wanted to show this article from CNBC. Really nice. Shang-Chi could become the next Black Panther for the MCU.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/30/shan...ox-office.html

Again, there's a buzz around this film that's kinda hidden. Maybe it will be the sleeper hit of 2021? Here's hoping!
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

Ha, maybe he'll have a new kind of name. We true fans will know the real deal though .

As for a Vietnam movie, I think Simu is just asking for more authenticity and ownership in those types of films. I wince somewhat when he talks about the old Shang-Chi series. Yeah, white men, predominantly Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy, were at the helm of that series. And yes, there are definitely some inaccuracies in terms of Chinese culture. But they were responsive to their audience. There were attempts to be more progressive with the series. The letters section of the series for a number of years had a dialogue between the creators and Asian-American reader Bill Wu who did address issues of representation in the series. (Bill would later publish a book on the Yellow Peril phenomenon in media). Could representation been better? Yeah. But for it's time, there were some good points of Shang-Chi's series.

Also, wanted to show this article from CNBC. Really nice. Shang-Chi could become the next Black Panther for the MCU.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/30/shan...ox-office.html

Again, there's a buzz around this film that's kinda hidden. Maybe it will be the sleeper hit of 2021? Here's hoping!
    I'd like to see the dragon show up, but I have no problem with a different name.

This is a bit off-topic, but I've never liked most Vietnam war movies, in part due to how badly they portray Vietnamese people. That and most of them barely having any plot or likeable characters.

Anyway, back on topic. While the old Shang-Chi comics were progressive for their time, I think as a person of Chinese descent, it's not unreasonable for Liu to not be content with that type of representation, especially when that's the most prominent Marvel hero of Asian descent for a long time. Still, I'm glad modern Marvel is being more conscious of these things, and I appreciate any boost in representation of people of Asian descent in Hollywood. Idk if it'll be the next BP per se, but it could have a considerably similar impact. I hope it's good and successful

This one quote got me:

Ah...I was hoping for his MCU debut...

I am amazed at how much Dike Ruan has improved.