Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I feel like so much of this 'reclaiming dad's criminal enterprise and turning it to good' arc with the Five Weapons Societies is kind of a retread of the Agents of Atlas storyline where Jimmy Woo (& Namora, Gorilla Man, etc.) did the same thing with the organization he renamed Atlas Foundation.

Is this some sort of trope? Karma, of the New Mutants, was also saddled with a crimelord family whom she's inherited a bunch of money and power from. And Mariko Yashida and Silver Samurai have a crime-family... It gets kind of same-y.

But for all the random heroes Shang is bumping into, I'd like to see him bump into some that he's worked with more recently, who *don't* immediately leap to conclusions and get all fight-y with him, like Jimmy Woo, Chulk, Silk, Wave, Aero, White Fox, Giant-Man, etc. from the *latest* incarnation of Agents of Atlas.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-24-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like so much of this 'reclaiming dad's criminal enterprise and turning it to good' arc with the Five Weapons Societies is kind of a retread of the Agents of Atlas storyline where Jimmy Woo (& Namora, Gorilla Man, etc.) did the same thing with the organization he renamed Atlas Foundation.

Is this some sort of trope? Karma, of the New Mutants, was also saddled with a crimelord family whom she's inherited a bunch of money and power from. And Mariko Yashida and Silver Samurai have a crime-family... It gets kind of same-y.

But for all the random heroes Shang is bumping into, I'd like to see him bump into some that he's worked with more recently, who *don't* immediately leap to conclusions and get all fight-y with him, like Jimmy Woo, Chulk, Silk, Wave, Aero, White Fox, Giant-Man, etc. from the *latest* incarnation of Agents of Atlas.
    I think the reason their using the one's that their using instead of these guys is because these guys aren't big deal movie stars. I think they're just trying to get across that Shang-Chi can play with the big boys and do just fine for himself.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

An interesting observation. It appears many Asian characters within the MU are dealing with this now. My only counter to that is that Shang-Chi's father has always been part of the character's story. It is a fundamental element. Having Shang-Chi do something with his father makes sense.

As for the other characters, the Agents of Atlas, sure I'd like to see them again. But having Shang cross over with the more recognizable characters is the best choice right now. It establishes him as a solid member of the MU who has an extensive history with these heroes.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    An interesting observation. It appears many Asian characters within the MU are dealing with this now. My only counter to that is that Shang-Chi's father has always been part of the character's story. It is a fundamental element. Having Shang-Chi do something with his father makes sense.

As for the other characters, the Agents of Atlas, sure I'd like to see them again. But having Shang cross over with the more recognizable characters is the best choice right now. It establishes him as a solid member of the MU who has an extensive history with these heroes.
    Maybe we'll get a happy Asian family in the MU someday

But I agree Shang should interact with different groups of heroes in order to boost his profile, and not just the AoA group.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Maybe we'll get a happy Asian family in the MU someday

But I agree Shang should interact with different groups of heroes in order to boost his profile, and not just the AoA group.
    Cindy Moon's family?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cindy Moon's family?
    Doesn't she have an awkward relationship with them (I haven't read the latest Silk comics so Idk if that changed)

Doesn't she have an awkward relationship with them (I haven't read the latest Silk comics so Idk if that changed)
    Well, I don't think it means they're any less happy as a family in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I don't think it means they're any less happy as a family in the grand scheme of things.
    I guess so.

How old is shang-chi in comics? How old is he in the mcu?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    How old is shang-chi in comics? How old is he in the mcu?
    They state his actual age in the movie, but I don't remember it exactly. 34-35, IIRC.

Finally FINALLY got to watch this movie. And as much as I hated not catching it in theaters, it was worth the wait.

I know everyone has already talked the movie to death so I won't get into it and make people skim through another reaction post, months after the fact. So I'll just say that I very much look forward to seeing Shang again and his sequel can't come fast enough.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Have they ever designed a costume with a full mask/helmet for shang-chi? I think they should.

I was thinking that they may be adapting the 10-rings story to Shang-chi, for that movie synergy.

With the whole 10-rings and Makluans. May be Shang-chi could be doing a space adventure something different for Shang. Rather than just be stuck on earth.

A full space suit modern but still has Chinese aesthetics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    Have they ever designed a costume with a full mask/helmet for shang-chi? I think they should.

I was thinking that they may be adapting the 10-rings story to Shang-chi, for that movie synergy.

With the whole 10-rings and Makluans. May be Shang-chi could be doing a space adventure something different for Shang. Rather than just be stuck on earth.

A full space suit modern but still has Chinese aesthetics.
    While it's even more of a deviation from his comics canon, I wouldn't entirely mind MCU Shang going to outer space.

Ultimate Member

While it's even more of a deviation from his comics canon, I wouldn't entirely mind MCU Shang going to outer space.
    Shang on the Guardians of the Galaxy? Man, if he was a temp fill-in for Star-Lord, instead of Kitty Pryde, I'd have bought the hell out of that run!

Ultimate Member

Shang on the Guardians of the Galaxy? Man, if he was a temp fill-in for Star-Lord, instead of Kitty Pryde, I'd have bought the hell out of that run!
    Haha, I never thought of that. I meant more like some kind of guest appearance with Captain Marvel or someone like that. But it could work in the comics too