Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I want some sort of Fu Manchu reference...something like the ficitonal Fu Manchu was based on his father.
    I'm pretty sure Marvel legally can't use the Fu Manchu name anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Oh god.....I'm crying now. Honestly, I'm fucking crying right now.

Finally, Shang is going to be in a theater. Finally, there's a hero who looks like me that can stand side by side with Captain America, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, Thor, the Avengers, and all the other MCU heroes. After all of these years of championing what Shang could be, I see it here in this trailer. (And to the posters who've lent their support for Shang, thank you guys. It means a lot).

This means so many other things too. It means I'm not a virus. I'm not a victim. I'm a hero.

Oh god, I can't tell you how happy I am.

Definitely looking forward to this now!
    I feel you brother!!! It's been a good few years for Asian and Asian-American representation in TV and film... but such a terrible and infuriating year for us overall. This really does make me pretty emotional!!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This seems like a flash back.

Probably giving a history lesson of the ten rings and the temple or whatever.
    Unless Shang ends up being some sort of immortal, I don't think it's a flashback. I think this battle is later in the movie. You can see Shang fighting this character in the trailer:

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I mean we see the guys with the blue armor with the helicopter, so it's just as plausible it's modern day

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I want some sort of Fu Manchu reference...something like the ficitonal Fu Manchu was based on his father.
    Do you want an instant ban from China and backlash from Asian audience?
    It's a name that carries extreme anti-Chinese/Asian legacy.

First I would like to say I'm very happy for Tien Long and Shang Chi fans in general.

Well, what can I say about this teaser, that sound very good, I'm little disappointed with the CGI and the wires during some scenes, but I think the producer say they will mix different types of influences for the fights scenes, so it's a choice, they probably want to make to more fantasy to be not too much in the reality and more in the comicbook world; I don't know but that surprised me, I wanted I guess something like Enter the Dragon mixed with Grandmaster and Winter Soldier, something very spy movie with the film noir charm, but that different, very colorful, a mix between past and present, that remind me Blade 2 too (not the first who is more dark) for the mix of all these things (monsters, wires and CGI, weapon futurist etc...).

But I try to be too critical, that sound very fantastic, first Simu seem very cool, sensitive, and good during the fight scenes, I really like they don't shy away with the kungfu poses etc..., there are something I have feared, that they would have ignored completly the side of very "traditional chinese" for to avoid cliche etc...but not they have embraced that !!! the costumes are georgous, the temple, the forest, the neon etc...that pure classical kungfu movies, all the actors seem amazing, specially Tony Leung; he seem dangerous and charming in the same time.

I think lot of Shang Chi fans have waited that, I have waited that since two decades, I remember all these rumors in early 2000's, the director of Blade is attached to the project, no it's Ang Lee, no Ang Lee with Yuen Woo Ping, with Aaron Kwok etc...and now we are here, the trailer is here.

For the bus scenes, I have the feeling that a reference to Big Trouble in Little China bus scenes, because both sequences are in San Francisco; I really like the poster of Crazy Kungfu in the room, cool references.
    Last edited by Bolo; 04-20-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    First I would like to say I'm very happy for Tien Long and Shang Chi fans in general.

Well, what can I say about this teaser, that sound very good, I'm little disappointed with the CGI and the wires during some scenes, but I think the producer say they will mix different types of influences for the fights scenes, so it's a choice, they probably want to make to more fantasy to be not too much in the reality and more in the comicbook world; I don't know but that surprised me, I wanted I guess something like Enter the Dragon mixed with Grandmaster and Winter Soldier, something very spy movie with the film noir charm, but that different, very colorful, a mix between past and present, that remind me Blade 2 too (not the first who is more dark) for the mix of all these things (monsters, wires and CGI, weapon futurist etc...).

But I try to be too critical, that sound very fantastic, first Simu seem very cool, sensitive, and good during the fight scenes, I really like they don't shy away with the kungfu poses etc..., there are something I have feared, that they would have ignored completly the side of very "traditional chinese" for to avoid cliche etc...but not they have embraced that !!! the costumes are georgous, the temple, the forest, the neon etc...that pure classical kungfu movies, all the actors seem amazing, specially Tony Leung; he seem dangerous and charming in the same time.

I think lot of Shang Chi fans have waited that, I have waited that since two decades, I remember all these rumors in early 2000's, the director of Blade is attached to the project, no it's Ang Lee, no Ang Lee with Yuen Woo Ping, with Aaron Kwok etc...and now we are here, the trailer is here.

For the bus scenes, I have the feeling that a reference to Big Trouble in Little China bus scenes, because both sequences are in San Francisco; I really like the poster of Crazy Kungfu in the room, cool references.
    I thought the CGI was a bit obvious but it is just a teaser, so I hope the final product is better.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I get why they made the Mandarin Shang's father, it avoids the hassle regarding the Fu Manchu copyright and trying to create an OC made for the movie, I just wish we got to see an Iron Man movie where Tony got to face the actual Mandarin.

Still looking forward to this, though.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Ultimate Member

I'm not sure why he has to be Shang's father. Couldn't he simply be Shang's mentor? MCU has enough daddy issues

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post

I don't think you're too critical... all of your points are exactly right!

There was some obvious wirework in the cage fight between Shang Chi and his sister. And the tone of the movie is a little too much like Fast and Furious when I wanted more Enter the Dragon. (Although they do go through many different genres in 2 minutes.) But it is just a trailer and hopefully we'll get a distinct feeling of the tone when we see more!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I don't think you're too critical... all of your points are exactly right!

There was some obvious wirework in the cage fight between Shang Chi and his sister. And the tone of the movie is a little too much like Fast and Furious when I wanted more Enter the Dragon. (Although they do go through many different genres in 2 minutes.) But it is just a trailer and hopefully we'll get a distinct feeling of the tone when we see more!
    Maybe it's more jarring with these scenes out of context and put next to one another?

in the old comics, who all were the MI-6 characters?

I'm fine with not seeing them: I'm sure if this was the 1980s there would be an explicit studio expectation for a "white partner", but I was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the old comics, who all were the MI-6 characters?

I'm fine with not seeing them: I'm sure if this was the 1980s there would be an explicit studio expectation for a "white partner", but I was wondering.
    Clive "I'm not James Bond's son, really!" Reston and Black Jack Tarr, who was basically a British Dum Dum Dugan

There was also Sir Denis Nayland Smith, but he came from the original Sax Rohmer stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Clive "I'm not James Bond's son, really!" Reston and Black Jack Tarr, who was basically a British Dum Dum Dugan

There was also Sir Denis Nayland Smith, but he came from the original Sax Rohmer stories.
    They could've used the actual Dugan had he not been used in the first Captain America

Not feeling the teaser at all. Weird.
    I'm going to watch the film either way so that's not the problem, just not feeling anything as of right now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Not feeling the teaser at all. Weird.
    I'm going to watch the film either way so that's not the problem, just not feeling anything as of right now.
    Ok. Anything specific, or just the whole thing?