Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

This trailer gave me mystical kung fu feel of an Iron Fist story rather than the more grounded traditional Shang Chi style of story. The trailer was visually cool but thought we would get a little bit more rugged style action. I am loving seeing the almost all Asian cast. The music and the editing gave the feel of the original Black Panther trailer.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Studios: Shang-Chi Trailer Music (HQ EPIC VERSION)

Apparently this trailer is being greatly disliked in China?

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...ative-reaction

apparently they think the actor is... ugly?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I remember some of this kind of controversy when he was first cast, but idk if it's properly representative of most Chinese people

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I remember some of this kind of controversy when he was first cast, but idk if it's properly representative of most Chinese people
    I definetely don't think so.

Your First Look Inside Gene Luen Yang and Dike Ruan's 'Shang-Chi' #1
    It's Shang-Chi vs. the Marvel Universe in a brand-new ongoing series kicking off this May!

The Shang-Chi mythos was transformed in last year's critically-acclaimed series by Gene Luen Yang, Dike Ruan, and Philip Tan — this May, Gene Luen Yang and Dike Ruan return with a new ongoing series for Marvel's greatest fighter as he finds himself on the opposite side of Marvel's heroes in SHANG-CHI #1!

Make sure your local comic shop snags you a copy on May 19 — to get you pumped, take a sneak peek at the interiors of SHANG-CHI #1 below from artist Dike Ruan with colors by Tríona Farrell.

After the events of his latest series, Shang-Chi has finally taken his place as the leader of the Five Weapons Society but using an evil secret organization as a force for good won’t be easy. And it’s about to get a lot harder when Shang-Chi’s fellow super heroes from Spider-Man to the X-Men to the Avengers, start to question his motives!

“I'm very, very thankful for all the support that we got for the SHANG-CHI miniseries. I mean, the first two issues sold out,” Yang said. “I'm thrilled that we get to continue the story of Shang-Chi and his siblings in the Five Weapons Society."

"We're going to show how Shang-Chi's brand-new role affects the rest of the Marvel Universe. We'll have him interact with old friends and new foes... and even old friends who become new foes," continued Yang.

"Dike Ruan and I are already hard at work," added Yang. "The stuff I've seen from Dike so far has been his best yet.”

Don’t miss what happens when Shang-Chi and his newfound family of warriors collide with the Marvel Universe’s biggest heroes!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...an-shang-chi-1

This is looking even better than the series!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I definetely don't think so.
    Ok. I know there's been controversy about beauty standards and all that, but IMO neither industry is especially progressive on that front

I'd like to see him interact with Spider-Man in the MCU

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I remember seeing a video and of an interviewer asking Chinese citizens how the actor looked. They did not like his features as they felt his features were "too masculine." The actors the citizens would have choose instead all had softer "more feminine" facial features. It seems as those softer facial features are considered more attractive "in general" there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I know there's been controversy about beauty standards and all that, but IMO neither industry is especially progressive on that front

I'd like to see him interact with Spider-Man in the MCU
    In the end, I think everything is going to be fine.

Ultimate Member

In the end, I think everything is going to be fine.
    Probably. And while I maybe getting ahead of myself, I'm curious to see who he interacts with in future movies. IMO some of the best parts of the MCU are heroes interacting with one another

I thought the trailer was dope
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

This post, brother. I cannot imagine what this is for you, but I am so gods damn happy you have it.

Screw it, I don't care how they handle the rings. I just want a good movie that makes Tien Long cry angel tears of joy.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I feel you brother!!! It's been a good few years for Asian and Asian-American representation in TV and film... but such a terrible and infuriating year for us overall. This really does make me pretty emotional!!
    Ha, thanks for the shout out bros! Yeah, that was a good cry. The emotions were still there too. Watched the trailer again yesterday morning. Shed a couple of more tears. And yes, hopefully it will be that good when it comes out. There are a lot of reaction videos on YouTube right now and many are hyped about this movie. Indeed, the reason I was hyped was because the movie hit all of the marks. Many of the elements I said had to be in a Shang-Chi movie, the Kung Fu, the personality, the Asian/Asian-American culture, and especially the father/son dynamic, all of those elements were there. Additionally, they were beautifully distilled. All of those elements have been in Shang-Chi comics, but not fully articulated. Now the movie does that. Fantastic!

As for future Asian and Asian-American representation, I hope the movie fully breaks open that door. It seems to be riding the trend. CW's Kung Fu, Mortal Kombat, the Snake-Eyes movie, all of them have signficant Asian leads in martial arts. And let's not forget Warrior and Into The Badlands. That's good. I'll always be for Asians in martial arts. BUT, moving forward, Asians should be in other types of films. Dramas, comedies, and romances, Asians could be in the leads of all of those genres of film. We've seen a trend like this before. Bruce Lee emboldened Asians and showed them to be strong. But that established a stereotype of them just being the Kung Fu or Karate guy. Can't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    First I would like to say I'm very happy for Tien Long and Shang Chi fans in general.

Well, what can I say about this teaser, that sound very good, I'm little disappointed with the CGI and the wires during some scenes, but I think the producer say they will mix different types of influences for the fights scenes, so it's a choice, they probably want to make to more fantasy to be not too much in the reality and more in the comicbook world; I don't know but that surprised me, I wanted I guess something like Enter the Dragon mixed with Grandmaster and Winter Soldier, something very spy movie with the film noir charm, but that different, very colorful, a mix between past and present, that remind me Blade 2 too (not the first who is more dark) for the mix of all these things (monsters, wires and CGI, weapon futurist etc...).

But I try to be too critical, that sound very fantastic, first Simu seem very cool, sensitive, and good during the fight scenes, I really like they don't shy away with the kungfu poses etc..., there are something I have feared, that they would have ignored completly the side of very "traditional chinese" for to avoid cliche etc...but not they have embraced that !!! the costumes are georgous, the temple, the forest, the neon etc...that pure classical kungfu movies, all the actors seem amazing, specially Tony Leung; he seem dangerous and charming in the same time.

I think lot of Shang Chi fans have waited that, I have waited that since two decades, I remember all these rumors in early 2000's, the director of Blade is attached to the project, no it's Ang Lee, no Ang Lee with Yuen Woo Ping, with Aaron Kwok etc...and now we are here, the trailer is here.

For the bus scenes, I have the feeling that a reference to Big Trouble in Little China bus scenes, because both sequences are in San Francisco; I really like the poster of Crazy Kungfu in the room, cool references.
    Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    This trailer gave me mystical kung fu feel of an Iron Fist story rather than the more grounded traditional Shang Chi style of story. The trailer was visually cool but thought we would get a little bit more rugged style action. I am loving seeing the almost all Asian cast. The music and the editing gave the feel of the original Black Panther trailer.
    Great points there Bolo and taozen. I remember the rumors of a Yuen Woo Ping Shang-Chi film from the early 2000s as well. As for the fighting, it was stylized and wire-fu-esque. But did it feel gritty and real? I've read some posters say yes. It looks as though there's going to be a Fight Club/tournament scene. That feels gritty in a way. I don't mind the fantastical elements. Yes, we've not seen them with Shang in the comics, but I could see them fitting into Shang-Chi's world, or at the very least the Mandarin's. As for Tony Leung, he does seem dangerous and charming. To add a bit more, he seems complex. I like this photo of him from the film:

He's not draped in Ancient Chinese clothing. He looks modern and pretty normal except for the rings. So, we're getting a villain who may not be that villainous. I like it.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

This is looking even better than the series!
    Thanks for the preview. Shang and Esme battling a mystically mutated Spider-Man. I can dig it. Would love to read that banter between Spidey and Esme. Nice side kick from Shang!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, thanks for the shout out bros! Yeah, that was a good cry. The emotions were still there too. Watched the trailer again yesterday morning. Shed a couple of more tears. And yes, hopefully it will be that good when it comes out. There are a lot of reaction videos on YouTube right now and many are hyped about this movie. Indeed, the reason I was hyped was because the movie hit all of the marks. Many of the elements I said had to be in a Shang-Chi movie, the Kung Fu, the personality, the Asian/Asian-American culture, and especially the father/son dynamic, all of those elements were there. Additionally, they were beautifully distilled. All of those elements have been in Shang-Chi comics, but not fully articulated. Now the movie does that. Fantastic!

As for future Asian and Asian-American representation, I hope the movie fully breaks open that door. It seems to be riding the trend. CW's Kung Fu, Mortal Kombat, the Snake-Eyes movie, all of them have signficant Asian leads in martial arts. And let's not forget Warrior and Into The Badlands. That's good. I'll always be for Asians in martial arts. BUT, moving forward, Asians should be in other types of films. Dramas, comedies, and romances, Asians could be in the leads of all of those genres of film. We've seen a trend like this before. Bruce Lee emboldened Asians and showed them to be strong. But that established a stereotype of them just being the Kung Fu or Karate guy. Can't do that again.
    I agree. Marvel has a few other Asian characters, like Jimmy Woo, who's already in the MCU, and Amadeus Cho and Silk, who don't follow the martial arts stereotype. Hopefully they'll join the MCU. Too bad for Hogun, though