Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Solicit for Shang-Chi #3. The Shang-Chi world tour continues as he faces Wolverine!

"SHANG-CHI VS WOLVERINE! Shang-Chi discovers yet another sibling he never knew he had! Even more surprising…she’s a mutant!" reads Marvel's description for Shang-Chi #3. "You know what that means…Shang-Chi won’t be the only one looking for her. Enter: Wolverine!"
    Interesting to see how Zheng Zu has so many offspring. Man got around! Cover is okay, but the haircut is a little too bang heavy for me. Still, should be interesting.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 04-23-2021 at 06:12 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah I'm with you and Tien on this too. I think we all discussed that a bit when this movie was first announced; that it was great that Shang was getting a film and it was great for Asian/Asian American communities, but it's martial arts, and...yeah. Like, nobody's upset Shang's getting a movie, we're f*cking stoked, but we all know this is a comfortable niche that Bruce Lee made "safe" and we can't allow this (and scary supernatural wizard-y guys) to be the only niche these characters get.

We do have two Asian/Americans in Eternals though; Gemma Chan as Sersi and Ma Dong-seok as Gilgamesh. It's just a team ensemble and not lead roles, and I have no idea who these characters are and how important they are to the franchise, but still, it's a damn diverse cast. Edit: crap, John beat me to it!

Oh, and if we include Agents of SHIELD in the discussion we've also had Melinda May and Quake. And Quake was written (or they at least tried) as an Avengers level badass, was good at practically everything (except love! Sad) and borderlined on complete Mary Sue territory. And she didn't really fit any Asian stereotypes, to my knowledge.
    Cool pointing that out bro. And thanks for highlighting the roles that Asians and Asian-Americans have played throughout the MCU.
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

Yes, exactly. And I don't want to take away from this moment right now, right here, with a lot of talk about where we need to go afterwards; Shang getting a movie is huge, this is Black Panther levels of important and we need to celebrate and enjoy this. But as wonderful and long overdue as this is, this isn't the endgame, this is just where we start.

Or, well, we started with AoS and Iron Fist and all the other films and shows that have showcased interesting, dynamic Asian/American characters. But this is the first lead role, so y'all know what I mean.

And why do you avoid the term Mary Sue? Is there something about the term I don't know about?

Also, cool to hear that Gemma Chan will be the lead actor in Eternals. Don't know a damn thing about that franchise beyond they're Greek flavored New Gods, but I'm sure the film will be a lot of fun.
    Yeah, this is a good start and we have a long way to go, but it's still nice to see it actually begin. Hopefully Hollywood gets the message.

I don't like Mary Sue because in my experience it's a loaded term levelled at any competent female character

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, this is a good start and we have a long way to go, but it's still nice to see it actually begin. Hopefully Hollywood gets the message.

I don't like Mary Sue because in my experience it's a loaded term levelled at any competent female character
    Ah, you're not wrong that Mary Sue gets thrown at any competent female, but I've seen the term Gary Sue (and other versions) levelled at male characters so I thought it was an acceptable term. But I'll refrain from using it...or at least try; should I forget please remind me to knock my sh*t off.

And Hollywood seems to have realized that if T'Challa and Carol Danvers can bank a billion each, then maybe other people who aren't straight white dudes can too. But we gotta keep the pressure up and support these kinds of efforts, reinforcing the fact that we love good heroes regardless of color, gender, religion, whatever, but also that we *want* that diversity (and demand quality too!). We gotta support Shang just as hard as we supported T'Challa and Carol.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Great interview with Simu on the Shang-Chi film. Gives great perspective on the Shang-Chi character and the acting dynamic among him, Akwafina, and Tony Leung, and having to shift directions because of Covid. Really like how he talks about his training. We mentioned before how Shang-Chi has to be authentic to the martial arts. Shang isn't doing just any regular types of martial arts. He's doing Kung Fu. He's got to look like Kung Fu. Simu addresses that in the interview and describes how right after Comic-Con he had a good six months of training to get ready for the role. That's a good chunk of time to get the basics down.

Here's the rest of the interview:
    "I am a man of peace."

Ultimate Member

Ah, you're not wrong that Mary Sue gets thrown at any competent female, but I've seen the term Gary Sue (and other versions) levelled at male characters so I thought it was an acceptable term. But I'll refrain from using it...or at least try; should I forget please remind me to knock my sh*t off.

And Hollywood seems to have realized that if T'Challa and Carol Danvers can bank a billion each, then maybe other people who aren't straight white dudes can too. But we gotta keep the pressure up and support these kinds of efforts, reinforcing the fact that we love good heroes regardless of color, gender, religion, whatever, but also that we *want* that diversity (and demand quality too!). We gotta support Shang just as hard as we supported T'Challa and Carol.
    You can use if you want to. I just personally don't. I've heard of Gary Stu, but i try my best to identify specific problema I have with characters

I agree with your second paragraph. For too long a lot of corporate executives acted like White men were the only bankable heroes. I hope this movie helps to boost Asian visibility in blockbuster type movies. It's not the only thing, but it's part of that

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for the preview. Shang and Esme battling a mystically mutated Spider-Man. I can dig it. Would love to read that banter between Spidey and Esme. Nice side kick from Shang!
    Will it reference how Shang trained Spider-Man when he temporarily lost his spider-sense prior to the Spider-Island arc?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Will it reference how Shang trained Spider-Man when he temporarily lost his spider-sense prior to the Spider-Island arc?
    God I hope so.That was such a cool arc.Shame they don't use it much in ASM.Also when he got his spider-sense back the way of the spider actually improved to help him not only dodge and defend but told him how to attack(like cassandra cain)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    God I hope so.That was such a cool arc.Shame they don't use it much in ASM.Also when he got his spider-sense back the way of the spider actually improved to help him not only dodge and defend but told him how to attack(like cassandra cain)
    Here's hoping that Gene refers to that. Crossing the fingers that Spidey says something to the effect of "Sifu Shang." Again, just that little bit of recognition tells a lot. As a Kung Fu enthusiast, I like it when little details, like the term for a master, are used especially in different forms of media.
    "I am a man of peace."

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Here's hoping that Gene refers to that. Crossing the fingers that Spidey says someng to the effect of "Sifu Shang." Again, just that little bit of recognition tells a lot. As a Kung Fu enthusiast, I like it when little details, like the term for a master, are used especially in different forms of media.
    Indeed, that would be great.

Ultimate Member

I'm wondering, is Shang-Chi an actual name in any Chinese dialect?

Ok. Anything specific, or just the whole thing?
    Feels a bit campy to me and the fight scenes don't wow me either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Feels a bit campy to me and the fight scenes don't wow me either.
    I'm not wowed by them either, although they're fairly brief. Was it the big lion creatures you thought were campy?

I'm not wowed by them either, although they're fairly brief. Was it the big lion creatures you thought were campy?
    Yeah one of them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yeah one of them.
    Ok. Maybe the next trailer will put your fears at ease