Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Just read the issue and I would give it a solid 8/10.
    Esme stole the show.
    The dynamic between them 3 was amazing.
    Again I was hoping that Spidey still uses the way of the Spider.He actually does use his WOTS with Spidey-sense.I hope that comes back and he starts using it again.
    Spidey went into a mini hulk and his web-shooters didn't work.
    His Spidey-sense can detect infra-red and would definetly sense the old guy trying to put the root on his face.
    The writer does write a good Spider-man but doesn't seem to understand his powers as well as I would hope one would.
    Shang chi actually coming clean to Spidey was a good touch.
    I really hope Spidey makes an return in this to help him out.Whether against the other heroes or with them against another threat.Also any idea how long this is going to be.I think it was a mini but is now an ongoing?If so how many issues do you think this will last.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 05-19-2021 at 12:52 PM.

This first issue had me smiling. Yang and Ruan really built on the foundation of the previous series. The characterization, art, and fight scenes seem to have improved since then. Shang is certainly standing out in this series. In some ways, it's refreshing. Going on a date, wearing normal clothes, and being embarrassed over his family legacy, all of those elements could be found in the past Master of Kung Fu series. (Indeed, in his series from the 70s, Shang had relationships with women, which goes against the stereotype of Asian men being asexual or non-romantic). However, all of these scenes felt fresh and modern. Additionally, we get to see parts of Zheng Zu's criminal empire and Shang coming to terms with that. The art was amazing. Ruan gave us some excellent action scenes. Awesome seeing Shang give some high kicks and punches. Plus there were some awesome poses with Shang in his costume.

My only gripes were with Spider-Man and Esme. Now, I appreciate the appearance of both. Gene gave a shout-out to the Way of the Spider, and even played with the concept. Spider-Man hasn't been practicing ever since he got his Spider-sense back. Shang gives him a reminder. Esme is frustrated over Shang's embarrassment with his family. At the same time, the voices of both characters seemed of in a way. In Spider-Man's case, I was expecting him to give more wisecracks and humor. Yang is trying to hard with Esme. Yeah, I get it, she's all stabby-stabby. It could be toned down a bit.

Overall though, I'm digging this issue. Can't wait for the rest!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

Why not just take Spidey aside and tell him what he is up to.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Because it has to seem authentic, and if Spidey knows, his reaction might give away Shang’s intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Lots of action stills and clips of Simu Liu from this Men's Health interview which Marvel is promoting.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...vel-superhero/
    Yeah, saw the YouTube clip for this. Simu looks great! Ha maybe I'll start to incorporate some box jumps!
    "I am a man of peace."

Shang's hesitance in telling Spidey the truth got me the most. There are many factors at play here. For one thing, there's the embarrassment and that's a very Asian quality. Shang has taken the mantle of his father's secret empire. How could he let Spidey in on personal, family matters? And it's criminal too folks. Spider-Man being Spider-Man could have intervened, said "This is wrong!" and got into a fight with Shang. I'm surprised he didn't do that by the way. Shang tried to keep face for most of the issue.

Esme complicated that by the way. Why should Shang be embarrassed with his family and the Five Weapons Society? Why should he keep denying it? Thus, those last moments, with Shang ordering his soldiers to clean up the aftermath, with Shang answering Spidey's question with "What does your Spider-sense tell you?" all of that shows Shang is making acceptances. (It's also pretty cool seeing Shang command the Five Weapons Society like that. I could easily see him waging a gang war against another group. Maybe the Hand? Would love to see that.)

So, there's a lot that can be seen with Shang's actions in this issue. Save face or be honest. Which does Shang choose?
    "I am a man of peace."

I thought he was embarrassed by it. Telling Spiderman would make it more "real" and not something he could hide.

Tien Long explained it more eloquently.

The issue was a strong debut.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-19-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Shang's hesitance in telling Spidey the truth got me the most. There are many factors at play here. For one thing, there's the embarrassment and that's a very Asian quality. Shang has taken the mantle of his father's secret empire. How could he let Spidey in on personal, family matters? And it's criminal too folks. Spider-Man being Spider-Man could have intervened, said "This is wrong!" and got into a fight with Shang. I'm surprised he didn't do that by the way. Shang tried to keep face for most of the issue.

Esme complicated that by the way. Why should Shang be embarrassed with his family and the Five Weapons Society? Why should he keep denying it? Thus, those last moments, with Shang ordering his soldiers to clean up the aftermath, with Shang answering Spidey's question with "What does your Spider-sense tell you?" all of that shows Shang is making acceptances. (It's also pretty cool seeing Shang command the Five Weapons Society like that. I could easily see him waging a gang war against another group. Maybe the Hand? Would love to see that.)

So, there's a lot that can be seen with Shang's actions in this issue. Save face or be honest. Which does Shang choose?
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought he was embarrassed by it. Telling Spiderman would make it more "real" and not something he could hide.

Tien Long explained it more eloquently.

The issue was a strong debut.
    Not saying he has to go into great detail...but when they are alone just say "I have taken control of my father's empire to dismantle it...I ask for your trust."

Is it lack of communication like this that leads to misunderstandings and hero vs hero fights.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

It also showed the relationship they have with each other.
    The issue really conveyed how much he didn't want to tell Spidey because of shame.
    But he told him the truth because of his respect him.
    And I really hope Esme and Peter have future interactions.

I want an Esme only focused issue. Maybe her palling around with the Power Pack, or Valeria. Omg.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I want an Esme only focused issue. Maybe her palling around with the Power Pack, or Valeria. Omg.
    Idk about Power pack but Esme and Valeria would be great.Throw in the emo-franklin and Spider-man babysitting.Sounds like a hilarious comics

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Idk about Power pack but Esme and Valeria would be great.Throw in the emo-franklin and Spider-man babysitting.Sounds like a hilarious comics
    Esme and Katie are bound to be best frenemies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Esme and Katie are bound to be best frenemies.
    Would love to see that.Esme is going to be a goldmine for team-ups.

Just read the Men's Health article featuring Simu Liu. Just an amazing and insightful read on the actor. A lot of his experiences growing up, the intergenerational conflicts with parents, the lack of representation in media, just trying to find one's way in life, I definitely related. The full article is here:

https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...vel-superhero/

THe initial hesitance with character:
    WHEN MARVEL STUDIOS announced Shang-Chi in 2018, Liu uttered the same “WTF” as every other comic-book fan. He remembers staying up late and scouring the Marvel web to learn about the character, and the more he uncovered, the more he grew disenchanted. Instead of raiding the comics for an ultrastrong hero (like Amadeus Cho, the Korean Hulk) or superhero royalty (like Namor, Marvel’s version of Aquaman), Marvel found its first Asian lead in . . . a Bruce Lee clone. Shang-Chi was created in the 1970s because Marvel wanted a version of Lee, and he’s the son of Fu Manchu, perhaps the worst Chinese stereotype. Early stories had him speaking in broken-English phrases. His superpower? Kung fu. “I was almost disappointed,” Liu says. “I was like, how many opportunities do we have for Asian superheroes, and this one guy is, like, just a kung fu master? It just felt kind of reductive and, you know, not true to life and not anything that I could relate to.”
    "I am a man of peace."

Some other tidbits from the Men's Health article:

How the director, Daniel Cretton wanted this film to be about the acting and Asian-American identity, NOT a story about Kung Fu:

“As with any actor in any role, as Ryan Gosling did when he learned to play the piano for La La Land,” Liu says, “what I think Marvel did—what I hope Marvel did—was they cast an actor.” That was director Destin Daniel Cretton’s aim, and that may be why early audition tapes had Liu and other hopefuls duplicating scenes from Good Will Hunting, not John Wick.

This is not a story about kung fu. Cretton, whose earlier films include The Glass Castle and Just Mercy, calls it a story about “identity.” Shang-Chi will learn that his father is the true Mandarin, a character named Wenwu, who, played by Tony Leung, is being touted as Marvel’s most multidimensional villain. Shang-Chi will have to deal with this while also facing another baddie, Razor Fist (Florian Munteanu), and encountering his sister, Xialing (Meng’er Zhang). But don’t expect the film to start with brawling. “We wanted to show people a character who is distinctly Asian American right off the bat,” says Cretton. “Before you even know anything about his past, his upbringing, his martial-arts skills, we wanted people to know that this is an Asian American.”
    BUT Kung Fu has it's place:

In Shang-Chi, kung fu no longer feels like a token touch of inclusion. This is Asian Americans owning their stereotype. “Kung fu for kung fu’s sake, as an aesthetic or a prop, that’s where it starts to get tropey and dangerous,” says Liu. “[But] there’s a reason why when Hong Kong action was introduced to Western audiences, people went bananas for it. Kung fu is, objectively, really cool.” I can’t help smiling as he says this. It’s the reason I’ve never minded the Bruce Lee cracks.
    "I am a man of peace."