Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Hi Ray, thanks for the posters and Marvel featurette. Been offline for a while so I wasn't able to post those. There seems to be new footage so that's a plus. Looks like Awkafina's character will be doing some action stuff.

It's really happening everyone. Just around four weeks more and the movie will be premiering in the U.S.! At the same time, I'm cautiously optimistic. With the news of a surge in Delta variant cases in America and the rest of the world and with people trying to make sense of new masking regulations, I've heard people say that this could affect the Shang-Chi movie. Just as Shang is gaining so much popularity (moreso than the character has ever received quite frankly), people won't risk going. If that happens, yeah, that would really suck.

Again, **** you Covid - 19. **** you for taking lives, for ruining lives, for ruining Marvel films, and if you affect Shang-Chi, **** you.

Whatever happens, I will see this movie.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Is it still theatrical only?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    For now it is. But with a rise in Covid variants along with people refusing to get vaccinated due to misinformation running rampant, I won’t be surprised if Disney changes course.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    For now it is. But with a rise in Covid variants along with people refusing to get vaccinated due to misinformation running rampant, I won’t be surprised if Disney changes course.
    Ok. I honestly don't know if it's still a good idea to do theatre-only so quickly

Hi all. Sorry that I haven't been updating, but here is one of the latest commercials for the film:

Great humor here.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Sorry that I haven't been updating, but here is one of the latest commercials for the film:

Great humor here.
    Have to make sure everyone knows how to pronounce his name now .

Ultimate Member

I'm not an expert on Mandarin, but isn't "qi" pronounced that way, and "chi" pronounced like "chr" in English?

Edited: Nevermind.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I'm not an expert on Mandarin, but isn't "qi" pronounced that way, and "chi" pronounced like "chr" in English?
    If you go by the modern pronunciation of pinyin, you’d be correct. “Chi” in pinyin is pronounced “chr” while “qi” is pronounced as “chee.” However, Shang Chi was created during a time when pinyin wasn’t the popular system of Romanization or writing Chinese into English letters in America. The older form used during the time of Shang Chi’s creation was called Wade-Giles. In that system, “chi” was pronounced as “chee.” That spelling, “chi”, is actually still popular.

(Fun fact: I used the Wade-Giles system in my name. “Tien” should actually be “Tian” if we go by pinyin . )
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-12-2021 at 03:25 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

I hope it is. just think of the lawsuits that might happen now. (no hate toward Scarlett, but just saying...)

Ultimate Member

If you go by the modern pronunciation of pinyin, you’d be correct. “Chi” in pinyin is pronounced “chr” while “qi” is pronounced as “chee.” However, Shang Chi was created during a time when pinyin wasn’t the popular system of Romanization or writing Chinese into English letters in America. The older form used during the time of Shang Chi’s creation was called Wade-Giles. In that system, “chi” was pronounced as “chee.” That spelling, “chi”, is actually still popular.

(Fun fact: I used the Wade-Giles system in my name. “Tien” should actually be “Tian” if we go by pinyin . )
    Ok. So, by modern Pinyin, his name would be Shang-qi, right?

Also, I know this is a big question, but do you know why Pinyin doesn't use "chr" instead of "chi"?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope it is. just think of the lawsuits that might happen now. (no hate toward Scarlett, but just saying...)
    Isn't the Delta variant moving things backwards, though?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

If you need a list of all the Shangi-Chi promos, the playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FyeGYt1lFbX5l2
    And, oh Celestial/Heavenly dragon, TSR (now Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast) uses the "T'ien Lung" romanization. It also stopped calling the Chinese dragons as "oriental dragons" and calls them "lung dragons", which is redundant.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Tien Long, this is your chance!

"Have a question for the cast of Marvel Studios’ #ShangChi and the Legend of the Ten Rings? Tweet it now with the hashtag #MarvelQuestions for a chance to be answered LIVE at the red carpet world premiere!"

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1425977904303943685

Just ignore the inevitable "Where's the No Way Home trailer" question, which, predictably, was asked already.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ok. So, by modern Pinyin, his name would be Shang-qi, right?

Also, I know this is a big question, but do you know why Pinyin doesn't use "chr" instead of "chi"?
    Correct, the name should honestly be written as "Shang Qi" in pinyin.

As for why not "chr," this took a lot of research. No one seems to be giving a layman's response. A lot of answers got into some deep linguistics stuff. From what I can tell is that China wanted to use a system of language learning that was very broad in scope. They looked at different languages that use Roman letters. Remember, English isn't the only language that uses Roman letters. Many other languages use those letters as well, like French, Spanish, Portuguese, certain Slavic languages, and so on. In those languages, the letters have certain sounds which are different than the way the letters are pronounced in English. However, those pronunciations are very close to the sounds in the Mandarin dialect.

For instance, the reason we use the "q" for "qi" is because that "q" in Albanian has a "chee" sound.

So pinyin isn't using English pronunciation as it's basis. Rather, it's taking bits and pieces of sounds from other languages that use Roman letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    If you need a list of all the Shangi-Chi promos, the playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FyeGYt1lFbX5l2

And, oh Celestial/Heavenly dragon, TSR (now Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast) uses the "T'ien Lung" romanization. It also stopped calling the Chinese dragons as "oriental dragons" and calls them "lung dragons", which is redundant.
    Ha great to hear. Yeah, I think I did an internet search back in the day to find out my screen name and "Tien Long" popped up. And again, that was a variation of "T'ien Lung." Personally, I'm good with Wade-Giles. A lot of my old college readings used that. And yes "lung dragons" is pretty redundant. For me it sounds like "dragon dragon." A little too dragon dragon with the dragon dragon for my tastes. Indeed, dragon dragon .

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Tien Long, this is your chance!

"Have a question for the cast of Marvel Studios’ #ShangChi and the Legend of the Ten Rings? Tweet it now with the hashtag #MarvelQuestions for a chance to be answered LIVE at the red carpet world premiere!"

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1425977904303943685

Just ignore the inevitable "Where's the No Way Home trailer" question, which, predictably, was asked already.
    Ha, bro I'm kicking myself for now having a Twitter right now. But I'm good. Reading the various interviews and articles, I feel many of my questions have been answered.

Well, off the top of my head right now is what role will Shang-Chi play in the future of the MCU? Come phase 5 (or maybe in one of the phase 4 movies), will Shang be in other films? Is he on his way to be part of the Avengers? Join Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange? How will he confront the threat of Kang as well as the rise of the MCU multiverse? Wow, actually I've a lot of questions . I'll wait to see what happens with this movie first before asking the big questions.

On a more serious note, yeah, I'm wary of the "theater only" or "theater/Disney Plus" release strategy here. Regardless, I will see the movie. I'm just concerned that we'll get a Scarlett Johansson situation with Simu Liu or one of the other actors losing out on their earnings. That would leave a sour taste for me when watching this. Would make me wonder if they'd be down for a sequel in the future too.
    "I am a man of peace."