Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is it still theatrical only?
    Marvel’s Shang-Chi Confirmed To Release Only In Theaters By Disney
    Disney CEO Bob Chapek confirms Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings movie will release only in theaters on September 3.

BY MOLLY FREEMAN

Which comes a few hours after

Shang-Chi Marketing Language Shift Leaves Theatrical Exclusivity in Doubt
    A recent change in the marketing language for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings hints that it might be another Disney+ Premier Access title.

BY JON ARVEDON
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Marvel’s Shang-Chi Confirmed To Release Only In Theaters By Disney
    Disney CEO Bob Chapek confirms Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings movie will release only in theaters on September 3.

BY MOLLY FREEMAN

Which comes a few hours after

Shang-Chi Marketing Language Shift Leaves Theatrical Exclusivity in Doubt
    A recent change in the marketing language for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings hints that it might be another Disney+ Premier Access title.

BY JON ARVEDON
    Got it bro. Thanks. So, there's not going back with the theaters only release schedule. Well, now it's a gamble. How much will Shang-Chi earn in spite of the Delta variant? And let's not forget the other factors, that this is still an Asian character led movie about a so-so known Marvel character being released during September, which is never the hottest time to see movies to begin with.

But y'know what, I'm seeing the buzz and the interest. I'm seeing the millions of views and the comments. And the movie and especially the character have been through so much already to get up to this stage. The master of Kung Fu has overcome so many odds. And he can overcome these .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Correct, the name should honestly be written as "Shang Qi" in pinyin.

As for why not "chr," this took a lot of research. No one seems to be giving a layman's response. A lot of answers got into some deep linguistics stuff. From what I can tell is that China wanted to use a system of language learning that was very broad in scope. They looked at different languages that use Roman letters. Remember, English isn't the only language that uses Roman letters. Many other languages use those letters as well, like French, Spanish, Portuguese, certain Slavic languages, and so on. In those languages, the letters have certain sounds which are different than the way the letters are pronounced in English. However, those pronunciations are very close to the sounds in the Mandarin dialect.

For instance, the reason we use the "q" for "qi" is because that "q" in Albanian has a "chee" sound.

So pinyin isn't using English pronunciation as it's basis. Rather, it's taking bits and pieces of sounds from other languages that use Roman letters.
    Ok. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha great to hear. Yeah, I think I did an internet search back in the day to find out my screen name and "Tien Long" popped up. And again, that was a variation of "T'ien Lung." Personally, I'm good with Wade-Giles. A lot of my old college readings used that. And yes "lung dragons" is pretty redundant. For me it sounds like "dragon dragon." A little too dragon dragon with the dragon dragon for my tastes. Indeed, dragon dragon .

Ha, bro I'm kicking myself for now having a Twitter right now. But I'm good. Reading the various interviews and articles, I feel many of my questions have been answered.

Well, off the top of my head right now is what role will Shang-Chi play in the future of the MCU? Come phase 5 (or maybe in one of the phase 4 movies), will Shang be in other films? Is he on his way to be part of the Avengers? Join Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange? How will he confront the threat of Kang as well as the rise of the MCU multiverse? Wow, actually I've a lot of questions . I'll wait to see what happens with this movie first before asking the big questions.

On a more serious note, yeah, I'm wary of the "theater only" or "theater/Disney Plus" release strategy here. Regardless, I will see the movie. I'm just concerned that we'll get a Scarlett Johansson situation with Simu Liu or one of the other actors losing out on their earnings. That would leave a sour taste for me when watching this. Would make me wonder if they'd be down for a sequel in the future too.
    I actually am pretty curious to see where he appears next in the MCU, and who he teams up with.

As for the whole legal situation, I'd like to think the company would renegotiate concerning streaming revenue

Extraordinary Member

MCU Director Teases Shang-Chi's Superpowers Rivaling The Avengers

Ultimate Member

I think boosting him up to be able to match the Avengers is a good idea, even if it's not quite accurate to the comics. I wouldn't want another BW/Hawkeye issue

I don't think they need to go that far, but I guess it looks like those rings are his upgrade once he wrests them from his father.

Do you really think he'll keep them? I would expect the movie to end with Shang smashing them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Do you really think he'll keep them? I would expect the movie to end with Shang smashing them or something.
    Or he seals them away. But him gaining control of them in the trailer makes me think they won't just completely do away with them.

Ultimate Member

I assume he'd stash them away then bring them back if he needs to fight someone very powerful

I assume he'd stash them away then bring them back if he needs to fight someone very powerful
    I can definitely see them doing that.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I can definitely see them doing that.
    He can vary his abilities according to the threat. He can just use non-enhanced fighting skills for low level foes, like ninjas, but use the Rings and any other abilities he may get to fight something powers, like aliens or dragons.

But ultimately, I think he'll need something more than martial arts, as good as they may be, to keep up with the Avengers.

I'm fine with his main emphasis being hand-to-hand and normal martial arts, saving anything special for stuff that actually warrants it. He's the Master of Kung Fu after all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or he seals them away. But him gaining control of them in the trailer makes me think they won't just completely do away with them.
    I would like to see him come to the conclusion that their power is 'too tempting' or whatever, and stash them away for the big stuff / Avengers team ups, and stick to being 'merely' the Master of Kung Fu most of the time.

Ultimate Member

While I can see the appeal of him just being a kung fu guy, I feel like the MCU already has enough h2h type characters. Plus, it feels odd to me how the first MCU hero of Asian descent wouldn't actually have any powers.

While I can see the appeal of him just being a kung fu guy, I feel like the MCU already has enough h2h type characters. Plus, it feels odd to me how the first MCU hero of Asian descent wouldn't actually have any powers.
    But he's the master of h2h, though, so I feel like if they can depict that well it really shouldn't matter much. I don't think it should matter whether he has powers or not as to whether his specialty is depicted well.

Even the rings aren't really "powers," just weapons like Cap's shield or T'Challa's suit.