Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I loved the movie. Was it perfect? No, but was it good? Genuinely, yeah, I think it was. I think Tien Long's critiques of the film are largely spot on, positive and negative. I'm not Asian, though, so I can't say I had the same sort of emotional connection to the material.

The cast really shown, which is the make or break for these sorts of films. I've long loved Simu Liu and he got the showcase he deserved. And, Tony Leung, goes without saying that he was excellent. And, I won't lie, he was hot.

I think they intentionally drew on Iron Fist lore for those elements – they even gave Matt Fraction (of the Immortal Iron Fist fame) a Special Thanks in the credit. But I don't think those elements dominate the film.
    Thanking Matt Fraction makes sense because one of the story elements comes directly from The Immortal Iron Fist series and K'un-Lun mythology.
    Last edited by taozen; 09-04-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I want to see a logo developed for Shang Chi. He should have one just like there's a branding logo developed for most of the other heroes- Spider-man, captain america, black widow, thor (usually a hammer symbol), hulk (there's a fist logo, alternately, a radiation sign)... how would his name look in chinese lettering?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How were the fight scenes?
    Very well-choreographed and smooth. They really interacted with the environment well.

For peoples who have seen the movie, do you have noticed any pop culture, tributes, or easter eggs references ? Specially the ones from HK movies, I really would like that the movie would give tribute to Bruce Lee, because he was the main inspiration for the character of the comics, I would hate that if Marvel have ignore him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    Very well-choreographed and smooth. They really interacted with the environment well.
    Good to hear. I'm guessing there wasn't too many cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    For peoples who have seen the movie, do you have noticed any pop culture, tributes, or easter eggs references ? Specially the ones from HK movies, I really would like that the movie would give tribute to Bruce Lee, because he was the main inspiration for the character of the comics, I would hate that if Marvel have ignore him.
    Definitely some Jackie Chan refs, especially in the bus fight.

Looking excellent! I especially like Shang-Chi using all of the different weapons against Iron Man. Using one of Iron Man's gloves like that, definitely giving off Captain America: Civil War vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Nice. The premise is great! Hopefully we'll get to see some of these fights in the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    Watching various clips (of dubious origins i.e. someone was recording a little something something during the movie ) on YouTube, I'm warming up to the fight scenes. Definitely the use of environment played a role. And I think that's why I was put off initially. Because they weren't fight scenes in the traditional sense. Rather they were Jackie Chan scenes, or scenes where the protagonist uses their environment plus acrobatics and parkour. We see this put to use on the bus scene.

And thinking it over some more, yeah, these scenes were a lot better than previous Marvel films, where it's maybe a couple of punches and kicks and then a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Bro, there were a lot of HK and Chinese movie references in here. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, those elements were apparent in the first 5 minutes. That's why I was initially put off since I had seen similar themes in other films. Same with the Asian-American influences. Again, those aspects were in other films and TV shows as well. Thinkin it over though, I realized that this was a good thing. Whether it's using elements from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Asian-American cultural expressions, the film is bringing these issues to a vastly wider audience. More people will be exposed to these things and learn about the culture. That's a good thing.

On a personal note, I liked the redesign of the rings. Apparently, the filmmakers were influenced by the Gordon Liu and the 36th Chamber of Shaolin!
    https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...nuckle-jewelry

Gordon Liu is a Hung Gar practitioner, like me! I've used iron rings just like Gordon and just like the Mandarin! Yeah!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Well, after all has been said and done, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings has crushed Labor Day expectations with a record setting $90 million dollars:

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-of...rd-1235057013/

I remember when I first heard about the film. I remember saying that Shang-Chi had a huge mountain to climb. A c-list Asian character rooted in Yellow Peril and stereotypes had to prove to an audience that it was successful. It had to have great characterization while not forgoing its Kung Fu roots. And it had to endure multiple delays because of a pandemic. I said that we had to keep the deadly hands of Kung Fu crossed that it would succeed on all of those accounts.

And it did . Critically acclaimed, financially successful, insanely popular, Shang-Chi did it all.

Now, I can't be totally happy. I do have my critiques on the film. Yet the more I think about the film, the more I see positives. Maybe a second watch through less critical eyes, either this weekend or when the film comes out on Disney Plus, will help. But overall, the film was great. And finally, FINALLY, after all these years, I see people see the potential that I knew was in Shang-Chi.
    "I am a man of peace."

Great video on all of the Easter eggs in the film. Spoilers for those who haven't seen the film!

"I am a man of peace."

I wonder how long it will be before Katy is eventually introduced to the comics? I predict that there will eventually be a photo cover with Simu Liu and Awkwafina.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before Katy is eventually introduced to the comics? I predict that there will eventually be a photo cover with Simu Liu and Awkwafina.
    Isn't she thematically replacing his female friend Leiko from the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't she thematically replacing his female friend Leiko from the comics?
    I dunno, what I've read of Leiko...seems pretty different from what I've heard of Awkwafina's character.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would love an Asian female character whose just a cool friend and not a kung fu master.