Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Katy is like Leiko in that she's both asian and a woman. That is it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Perhaps. Katy was pretty funny and added that everyday person quality to the film. The vibe I was getting was mostly platonic.
    I don't know, the way she was looking at Shang when he we was shirtless in the fight competition may speak differently.

But that may be me looking into it too much, because I was staring the same way at Simu

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Enjoyed issue 4 today. Thought the jokes about 4 meaning death was really funny.

In other things after greatly enjoying the movie I decided to read the original Master of Kung Fu comics. I'm having a lot of fun with them, but I'm surprised by how dark this comic actually is. A dolphin of all things got shot by a stray bullet. A dolphin! It seems surprising the code approved some of the stuff here, especially with Shang Chi being a killer (well it was a trick yes, but interesting to have a hero who technically still killed a man.) who doesn't turn himself in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I don't know, the way she was looking at Shang when he we was shirtless in the fight competition may speak differently.

But that may be me looking into it too much, because I was staring the same way at Simu
    I mean wasn't everyone

Extraordinary Member

Loved the film.Not a definitive top 10 MCU for me, but around that.Maybe a bit up or down.
    Also loved this:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFIZ5V_o2I

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I mean wasn't everyone
    true that

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

And yes, let's not forget that Shang-Chi #4 premiered today. Really liked it. Again, the usage of four, describing how it's so associated with "death" and basically bad luck in Asian cultures was spot on. Not many non-Asians know about this. I'm reminded of the times I couldn't wear my Fantastic Four shirt because of that belief!

Some huge bombshells in this issue. We see more of the MU express concern with Shang-Chi's new role. We see some excellent fight scenes. But more importantly we see spoilers:
    Shang-Chi's mom?! Woah, I thought in the comics, Shang-Chi's mom was a white woman! Did Gene change the story to fit the movie? If so, I get it, I've been saying that Shang-Chi's mom should be Chinese. But what about his former mom? How does that work out?
    end of spoilers

For now, I'm okay with that since I think it will be explored in the future. Otherwise, another great issue.

Keeping the deadly hands crossed that we see more Shang-Chi in the Marvel Universe!
    Shang Chi's mom being a white American woman genetically selected to carry Zheng's offspring was problematic so I have no problem with that being retconned.

After this Marvel hero cameo arc ends it would be cool to see some more classic Shang Chi villains show up.

Extraordinary Member

This was posted in the other shang chi thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by mace11

In the comics shang-chi's father and mother are bi-racial east asians.
    The mother is american i think.
    For the mcu they may change that and make him and his parents unmixed east asians or one parent bi-racial and one unmixed east asian.
    It's hard to say right now but i think they will make his parents unmixed east asians and him as well.

Check these out.
    http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page19
    and
    http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page20

I mean wasn't everyone
    You're not wrong, thanks to the "Kinda Funny: MCU In Review" podcast over the years I have been conditioned to zero in on the abs of the heroes when shirtless to rank them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    You're not wrong, thanks to the "Kinda Funny: MCU In Review" podcast over the years I have been conditioned to zero in on the abs of the heroes when shirtless to rank them.
    Hah, what's your favorite one yet?

Hah, what's your favorite one yet?
    Tough one, I gotta rewatch some scenes to refresh my memory but I tend to go for tone instead of mass and bulk. Having said that, yeah I can't help but respect what Kumail Nanjiani achieved for his Eternals role. This though might be a copout as I'm basing this on his shirtless gym photo and not an actual MCU shirtless movie scene of which he might not even have in the movie.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 09-09-2021 at 09:08 AM.

The Shang Chi film is fun.

Good family flick
    The J-man

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Shang-Chi Almost Starred in a Marvel Series from Milestone Media
    In their latest look at never-published comic stories, CSBG shows how close we came to a Shang-Chi comic book by Milestone Media.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Shang-Chi Almost Starred in a Marvel Series from Milestone Media
    In their latest look at never-published comic stories, CSBG shows how close we came to a Shang-Chi comic book by Milestone Media.
    An interesting pitch. I ponder the idea of Shang-Chi having this yearning for violence. Always felt that he enjoys martial arts, that he enjoys Kung Fu and fighting. I think it brings him a greater awareness of things in ways that meditating on top of a mountain wouldn't do. But violence? Or changing his ways to incorporate firearms? While having John Woo influences in a Shang-Chi title would have been cool, I don't think it's Shang. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him carrying twin pistols and killing an entire roomful of bad guys. Shang-Chi is not the Punisher or Deadpool. He's Shang-Chi.

In other recent news:

- Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings does it again! $250 million dollars worldwide baby! https://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...ee-guy-2538929

- However, the prospect of the movie opening in China is doubtful: https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...el-1234830474/

Some of Simu Liu's previous comments concerning China may prevent the movie from appearing in the Mainland. That is sad. The CCP has some insecurity issues.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 09-13-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

An interesting pitch. I ponder the idea of Shang-Chi having this yearning for violence. Always felt that he enjoys martial arts, that he enjoys Kung Fu and fighting. I think it brings him a greater awareness of things in ways that meditating on top of a mountain wouldn't do. But violence? Or changing his ways to incorporate firearms? While having John Woo influences in a Shang-Chi title would have been cool, I don't think it's Shang. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him carrying twin pistols and killing an entire roomful of bad guys. Shang-Chi is not the Punisher or Deadpool. He's Shang-Chi.

In other recent news:

- Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings does it again! $250 million dollars worldwide baby! https://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...ee-guy-2538929

- However, the prospect of the movie opening in China is doubtful: https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-c...el-1234830474/

Some of Simu Liu's previous comments concerning China may prevent the movie from appearing in the Mainland. That is sad. The CCP has some insecurity issues.
    If there’s anything good to come out of this, I’d that it can finally convince Disney that it can be successful without China and therefore it can stop bending over backwards for them. Maybe then we can finally get LGBT characters that can’t easily be edited out in international versions.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"