Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    While it's even more of a deviation from his comics canon, I wouldn't entirely mind MCU Shang going to outer space.
    I can see him in a space film at this point. certainly any Avengers group movie.
    it would be cool to see him take down giant creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    Have they ever designed a costume with a full mask/helmet for shang-chi? I think they should.

I was thinking that they may be adapting the 10-rings story to Shang-chi, for that movie synergy.

With the whole 10-rings and Makluans. May be Shang-chi could be doing a space adventure something different for Shang. Rather than just be stuck on earth.

A full space suit modern but still has Chinese aesthetics.
    Interesting idea. Wouldn't mind Shang in space but he is more of a grounded character even with super powers.

I thought that since they are giving Shang Fing Fang Foom, it was just set up for Shang fighting actual dragons in the sequels.

Maybe in the MCU, the lore behind the dragons was inspired by the Makulans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    They state his actual age in the movie, but I don't remember it exactly. 34-35, IIRC.
    Actually, the movie establishes his parents met in 1996, which would make him 25 or younger. I don't think he looks that young, thought. So it's a weird choice.

I just watched the movie yesterday. I liked it a lot, especially the first half. I could do without the usual boring CGI battle at the climax, but I don't think Marvel knows how to make movies without it.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Just saw the movie Yesterday and it was absolutely wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. On my personal list of best Marvel Movies it's right up there with Black Panther as my No. 1.
    I want to see/read more of Xu Xialing
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Wonder if mandarin would return again and retcon as Shang chi’s father in the comics after he died again on that punisher issue in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Wonder if mandarin would return again and retcon as Shang chi’s father in the comics after he died again on that punisher issue in 2018
    Doubt it, since Ego hasn’t been retconned to being Star Lords dad nor has Killmonger been retconned to being Black Panthers cousin. Though I can see him being a member of Shang-Chi’s rogues gallery post MCU.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Doubt it, since Ego hasn’t been retconned to being Star Lords dad nor has Killmonger been retconned to being Black Panthers cousin. Though I can see him being a member of Shang-Chi’s rogues gallery post MCU.
    Yeah true guess I am bummed on how mandarin was treated in the comics was originally iron man’s archenemy now he will return if writers want to use him again as the arch foe for Shang chi now

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Yeah true guess I am bummed on how mandarin was treated in the comics was originally iron man’s archenemy now he will return if writers want to use him again as the arch foe for Shang chi now
    Might as well since a white mans arch nemesis being Chinese might not fly with modern day audiences. At best I can see Shang-Chi having “joint custody” of Mandarin along with Iron Man like how Kingpin is considered both a Spider-Man and Daredevil rogue.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Hi all. I rewatched the Shang-Chi movie this past weekend. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time around. Watching this on Disney Plus meant I could repeat certain scenes. Plus, I had a better idea of what was going on. At the same time, some of my past issues were still there. Moreover, other issues appeared. Here's what I mean:

- In terms of what I liked, the disjointed storytelling was very clever. Throughout the film, I got a glimpse of a story that made me think one thing, but then turned out to be another thing later on in the film when there was more of an expansion of the scene. There was a bit of misdirection there, which was appreciated.

- I appreciated the humanizing of the Mandarin. The film could have easily gone into him being the megalomaniac bent on taking over the world. Instead, it became the story of a man trying to find love. In so doing, his family suffers. I pondered that for a while. Asians having conflicts with their overbearing, stern parents, that's a well-known trope in media. But seeing the reasons behind the parent's attitude, that isn't explored much. Trauma passes from one generation to the next.

- As for the fight scenes, I liked them more than my first viewing. They were dynamic and well-done. Comparing them with MCU fight scenes, I see them as being top-tier. However, my standards for a Kung Fu fight scene are pretty high. I'm expecting a 10 minute straight up fight scene like in Drunken Master II or a display of weaponry mastery like what Jet Li and Donnie Yen did in Hero. The fight scenes in Shang-Chi were good, I just thought they were short.

- Speaking of coming up short, I feel the movie could have given the Mandarin more prestige. For a guy who's lived centuries and conquered so much, I was expecting his forces to be a bit grander, y'know? I'm thinking armies of thousands, opulent training facilities, hi-tech equipment, etc. What I saw was small scale. Wenwu's forces were small, the fortress was small, the fight at the end between the Mandarin's forces and the village felt small. Was expecting more.

So, my second watch of Shang-Chi was good. Still, there were other things to be desired.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

And in other Shang-Chi news, anyone else read Shang-Chi #6 today? Overall, an excellent issue, filled with action and drama. Loved the fight scene between Shang and Thor. At the end of the issue, we see Shang in a crossroads. He tried to do the right thing. And what happens? His family is fractured and few of the heroes trust him. There's a lot of good set up for the next storyline.
    "I am a man of peace."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

This one flew under the radar! I checked older posts and this isn't mentioned yet in this thread.

Shang-Chi’s Origin Series Is Now an Infinity Comic
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...s-announcement

You need the Marvel Unlimited app for iOS or Android.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

SHANG-CHI #9
    GENE LUEN YANG (W) • MARCUS TO (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    X-Gwen Variant Cover by TONY FLEECS • VARIANT COVER BY David Baldeon
    NEW ARC STARTS HERE!
    For months, a mysterious mastermind has been operating behind the scenes to take down Shang-Chi and his family. Now, he is stepping out of the shadows to make his final strike. His objective? To destroy everyone in Shang-Chi's bloodline! Join writer Gene Luen Yang and new ongoing artist, Marcus To (EXCALIBUR), as they embark on the next new phase of Shang-Chi's legend!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

SHANG-CHI #9
    GENE LUEN YANG (W) • MARCUS TO (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    X-Gwen Variant Cover by TONY FLEECS • VARIANT COVER BY David Baldeon
    NEW ARC STARTS HERE!
    For months, a mysterious mastermind has been operating behind the scenes to take down Shang-Chi and his family. Now, he is stepping out of the shadows to make his final strike. His objective? To destroy everyone in Shang-Chi's bloodline! Join writer Gene Luen Yang and new ongoing artist, Marcus To (EXCALIBUR), as they embark on the next new phase of Shang-Chi's legend!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Thanks for mentioning this bro. Been a huge fan of Marcus To ever since his days on the Red Robin series. Plus, the new arc sounds great. The last issue left Shang in a difficult situation. Speaking of which, I liked what Shang did, answering the situation with truth. Always said that Shang looks at life in a way we don't and finds the way that we can't find. Unfortunately, not everyone sees that.

In any case, looking forward to this new arc.
    "I am a man of peace."

Lots of great videos being released after the premiere of the movie. Really like this one from the Corridor Crew:

The clip features two of the action directors from the film. Lots of thought, passion, and love went into those fight scenes. Now, I've had my issues with the fight scenes before, but I'm warming up to them, especially after watching these clips that give the behind the scenes info.
    "I am a man of peace."

Simu Liu's opening monologue from last night's SNL:

He ain't Spider-Man folks. He's Shang-Chi!
    "I am a man of peace."