Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    https://www.et***********/lewis-tan-...ang-chi-163537

Simu is okay, but I think I would have prefered Lewis Tan, he is more like I see Shang Chi (more intense, mysterious etc...); Ludi Lin look like alot Shang Chi in Mortal Kombat in the Liu Kang role.

For the toys, I have no idea how the movie will be if I look them, it's really weird; not big fan of some costumes, but nothing horrible.
    Bro, we were very close to seeing Lewis Tan as Shang-Chi! Check out the article courtesy of ET https://www.et***********/lewis-tan-...ang-chi-163537

In recalling the "crazy" moment he got the call that he would be starring in Mortal Kombat, Tan told ET's Ash Crossan, "I just lost a crazy job -- a really, really high-caliber level job -- and I heard that news on a plane to Japan and I was, like, devastated."

The job, he confirms, "was for the role of Shang-Chi in the Marvel film." Best known for Netflix's Into the Badlands and an appearance as Shatterstar in Deadpool 2, Tan was a fan-casting favorite for Marvel's Master of Kung Fu. (He is, technically speaking, part of the MCU already, playing Zhou Cheng in one episode of Iron Fist.) Then he got the call that he didn't get it.

"I did this mediation course, and I came back and then I was on my way to Nashville, Tennessee, to race cars at NASCAR -- I was like, 'Maybe I'm the first Asian person to ever be in this place before!' -- and all of a sudden I get a phone call saying I got the role in [Mortal Kombat]," he says. "I was supposed to drive a car that day and I ended up not doing it because I was like, 'Uh oh! I need to be safe now because I've got an opportunity here.'"

As for Shang-Chi, "A friend of mine, Simu, got that part," Tan says. "And I think he's going to do a fantastic job with the material."
    Good to hear that there's no beef between Simu and Lewis. Again, I'm rooting for Lewis as well. Looking forward to his role in the new Mortal Kombat film!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

So if Mandarin has Ten Rings, how will Shang-Chi actually defeat him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Bro, we were very close to seeing Lewis Tan as Shang-Chi! Check out the article courtesy of ET https://www.et***********/lewis-tan-...ang-chi-163537

Good to hear that there's no beef between Simu and Lewis. Again, I'm rooting for Lewis as well. Looking forward to his role in the new Mortal Kombat film!
    Yes that a shame Lewis don't have the role, that would have been a sweet revenge for Iron Fist (specially because Marvel tv is not in the MCU); I think he would have been more accepted by the asians fans because he look more a classic "handsome lead" than Simu, I think Lewis is a better martial artist (I'm not 100% sure); imho Lewis have more the classic martial art actor style, intense, a little dark etc...

Yeah that cool both of them have great roles, and now Deadpool is part of the MCU, he was already Shatterstar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Yes that a shame Lewis don't have the role, that would have been a sweet revenge for Iron Fist (specially because Marvel tv is not in the MCU); I think he would have been more accepted by the asians fans because he look more a classic "handsome lead" than Simu, I think Lewis is a better martial artist (I'm not 100% sure); imho Lewis have more the classic martial art actor style, intense, a little dark etc...

Yeah that cool both of them have great roles, and now Deadpool is part of the MCU, he was already Shatterstar.
    Did Lewis Tan audition for the lead role of Iron Fist?

I can see Tan being more "classically handsome" according to White standards of beauty, but IMO Asian guys shouldn't have to conform to them. Of course, it helps to have multiple Asian male heroes so they can have different types of appearances.

I've not seen Simu Liu in any martial arts role, so I personally can't compare him to Tan on that front

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    If he's anything like comicbook Mandarin, Shang should not be able to beat him even without the rings. The Mandarin hits much too hard. As in, he would chop Shang's entire body in half with one karate-chop.

My guess is that it will be two-fold: movie Mandarin won't have the rings. The story will be about his attempts to get them. And the other is that Shang will use acrobatics and soft-style moves to avoid Mandarin's karate-chops until Mandarin runs out of mystical chi. Mandarin is so aggressive that he probably burns through chi like a jet with the after-burners on burns through gasoline. Basically it will be a fight between the world's most powerful pure hard-stylist versus the master of all forms of kung fu.Soft-style moves FTW. After Mandarin runs out of gas, Shang will practically be able to just push him over.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    If he's anything like comicbook Mandarin, Shang should not be able to beat him even without the rings. The Mandarin hits much too hard. As in, he would chop Shang's entire body in half with one karate-chop.

My guess is that it will be two-fold: movie Mandarin won't have the rings. The story will be about his attempts to get them. And the other is that Shang will use acrobatics and soft-style moves to avoid Mandarin's karate-chops until Mandarin runs out of mystical chi. Mandarin is so aggressive that he probably burns through chi like a jet with the after-burners on burns through gasoline. Basically it will be a fight between the world's most powerful pure hard-stylist versus the master of all forms of kung fu.Soft-style moves FTW. After Mandarin runs out of gas, Shang will practically be able to just push him over.
    Interesting idea. I'm not totally sure how much Shang actually has in terms of powers. I feel like he technically has none but can draw on mystical forces to gain them. Is that correct.

Also, I hope at some point we actually see the Rings in full power. If Mandarin tries to get them, will we see FFF?

I'm also curious to see where he crosses over to next in the MCU

Interesting idea. I'm not totally sure how much Shang actually has in terms of powers. I feel like he technically has none but can draw on mystical forces to gain them. Is that correct.
    In modern times at least, Shang is portrayed as having mystic chi abilities, though they are generally portrayed more subtly than Mandarin's chi powers. With Mandarin it extremely straight-forward: he karate-chops with vast superhuman strength and shrugs off massively superhuman hits, and is basically this incredibly powerful pure hardstylist. Shang's mystic chi abilities are portrayed with much more subtlety and elegance, but they are definitely there in most modern appearances.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    In modern times at least, Shang is portrayed as having mystic chi abilities, though they are generally portrayed more subtly than Mandarin's chi powers. With Mandarin it extremely straight-forward: he karate-chops with vast superhuman strength and shrugs off massively superhuman hits, and is basically this incredibly powerful pure hardstylist. Shang's mystic chi abilities are portrayed with much more subtlety and elegance, but they are definitely there in most modern appearances.
    I think it would help to make Shang more than just "a guy". I suspect they'll head in that direction in the MCU

Is the current comic a mini or an ongoing?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

So it looks like Xialing is the MCU's merged version of Sister Dagger and Zheng Boa Yu

Ultimate Member

It seems the MCU is really modifying thr side characters. Although Shang-Chi doesn't have the biggest cast of recurring side characters.

I wonder if any characters from other MCU franchises will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Is the current comic a mini or an ongoing?
    The most recent Shang-Chi series was a miniseries. However, the team behind that, Gene Luen Yang and Dike Ruan, will be publishing an ongoing starting next month. It will continue the plot points from the previous series https://bleedingcool.com/comics/shan...coming-in-may/:

It seems the MCU is really modifying thr side characters. Although Shang-Chi doesn't have the biggest cast of recurring side characters.

I wonder if any characters from other MCU franchises will appear
    Indeed. With Shang's side characters are limited. It always comes down to Black Jack Tarr, Clive Reston, and Leiko Wu. Personally, it's hard for me to distill what makes them stand out. Now, to be fair, reading the old MOKF series, I can see how they're secret agents in the James Bond mold. There is a tension among Clive, Shang, and Leiko because of the love triangle angle. Black Jack could be brash, but loveable (though his use of "Chinaman" wouldn't fly today). However, they haven't been updated since the series ended. Thus, the characters are hard to turn into something viable.

Still, there could be some gems in there. I'd like to see what could be done with Midnight Sun:

Or Rufus "Super Midnight" Carter:

Carter is someone I'd definitely liked to see in the comics. As a fan of old school full-contact kickboxers like Benny "The Jet" Urquidez or Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, I think Carter is awesome. While in the past he was a kickboxer, I could see him getting into MMA, possibly becoming a coach while still doing private detective or government work.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 04-11-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

No love triangles!

WandaVision basically borrowed other supporting characters, so did Captain Marvel in a way, so Shang-Chi could've done that. Rick Jones still hasn't shown up

But if Korg and Okoye can be popular, these characters could be improved too

Ultimate Member

If this version of the Mandarin is more dependent on the rings, and not *also* a top-tier martial artist, and scientist, and mystic, and businessman, and possibly really good at celebrity show cooking and a master of the fandango, Shang might be able to use the same sort of evasive techniques a movie martial artist would use against a nut with a gun. The rings are, more or less, just a really amazing set of guns, shooting fire, ice, lasers, lightning, spinny vortexes, hypno-beams, etc.

It would make for something quite different than the usual martial arts movie climactic end fight, with everyone kung fu fighting, having Shang be the martial arts master, using more ground 'realistic' (ish) fighting techniques and the Mandarin being all pew pew, lazors, over-relying on his rings to win the fight, and the end message being something, something Shang and discipline and training and skill and heart overcomes alien jewelry and sheer arrogance.

It could be super-cool, with lots of different ring effects coming out, and Shang having to evade or deal with whatever complications arise. Mandarin negates light with the darkforce ring, and Shang demonstrates the skill to blind-fight, for instance. Mandarin creates a paralyzing fog of gas with the matter rearranger ring (which could do all sorts of crazy ****, but paralyzing 'nerve gas' seems to be his favorite), Shang holds his breath and seizes some ornamental war fans off the wall and blows the cloud away while fighting with them. Mandarin creates a slippery coating of ice on the floor with the ice ring, and Shang leaps atop a nearby table and 'walks' along the walls and tops of statues and whatever in the room, avoiding the slippery floor and kicking the Mandarin on the way by. Showy over the top stuff like that.

Or it could end like every other martial arts movie, with two dudes punching and kicking each other, which would be fine too. Gotta respect the classics.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 04-11-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    The most recent Shang-Chi series was a miniseries. However, the team behind that, Gene Luen Yang and Dike Ruan, will be publishing an ongoing starting next month. It will continue the plot points from the previous series https://bleedingcool.com/comics/shan...coming-in-may/:

Indeed. With Shang's side characters are limited. It always comes down to Black Jack Tarr, Clive Reston, and Leiko Wu. Personally, it's hard for me to distill what makes them stand out. Now, to be fair, reading the old MOKF series, I can see how they're secret agents in the James Bond mold. There is a tension among Clive, Shang, and Leiko because of the love triangle angle. Black Jack could be brash, but loveable (though his use of "Chinaman" wouldn't fly today). However, they haven't been updated since the series ended. Thus, the characters are hard to turn into something viable.

Still, there could be some gems in there. I'd like to see what could be done with Midnight Sun:

Or Rufus "Super Midnight" Carter:

Carter is someone I'd definitely liked to see in the comics. As a fan of old school full-contact kickboxers like Benny "The Jet" Urquidez or Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, I think Carter is awesome. While in the past he was a kickboxer, I could see him getting into MMA, possibly becoming a coach while still doing private detective or government work.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Rufus_Carter_(Earth-616)

wow. "super-midnight".. whoo-boy.. politically incorrect name, yeesh.. If he can be updated, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the comics or the films/TV shows.

In the comics, has an "Enter the Dragon" tournament begun yet?

I'd like to see more new characters invented since most of Shang's original supporting cast has never been seen or just barely seen since the original comics ended. A lot of somewhat dated premises baked into the original portrayals.