Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This,

It feels like anyone could say another persons dialogue and it's not good.
    Especially if Peter Parker isn't a reoccurring guest in Jess world. Can't understand why the writer doesn't use the opportunity to have Peter made a guest appearance in Jessica's book as she does with Carol Danvers?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm not a fan of quippy Jess. Greer Grant as both the Cat and Tigra was intentionally quippy -- because with the Cat -- they were going for a female Spider-Man vibe. This personality carried over even after she became Tigra. But anything that makes Jess more like Peter is not a good thing in my book. I think writers like to write characters that way -- but I do prefer a more classic take on Jess.
    A real shame that Greer was never placed in the world of Spider-Man. If Gerry Conway had made Greer a reoccurring guest, she might had avoided becoming Tigra. I never liked Greer as Tigra. As for Jessica, I feel that having her and Peter working together is not a bad thing. He could develop equipment that would enhanced her venom blast powers on par with the Green Lantern, for example. There are a lot of story potential between Tigra and Spider-Man as well as Spider-Woman and Spider-Man. I will admit that if Greer had been made a Spider-Man ally, Black Cat (as we know her today) might not exist. But no one can say that Greer(The Cat) is a Catwoman rip off. Retroactively, I feel that Black Widow, Spider-Woman, and The Cat(Greer) should have been reoccurring allies in Spider-Man's world going back to the 1970's.

I don't feel like Jess is too similar to Peter. But to each there own.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

She does feel more generic than she did in her original run. I know Pacheco (and, I guess editorial) wanted to amp up the action, but I feel the character has lost a lot of the nuance that made her interesting.

She does feel more generic than she did in her original run. I know Pacheco (and, I guess editorial) wanted to amp up the action, but I feel the character has lost a lot of the nuance that made her interesting.
    100% editorial. Pacheco has gone on record saying Marvel wanted big movie style action for Jess.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I don't feel like Jess is too similar to Peter. But to each there own.
    Mostly because they aren't. Let's not pretend Jess - the personification of sass - was ever one to shut her mouth.

I have minor problems with Karla's voice on her (she's often needlessly stand-off-ish and weirdly mean even without the black suit) but these things only make the contrast with Spidey even more apparent rather than the opposite.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Mostly because they aren't. Let's not pretend Jess - the personification of sass - was ever one to shut her mouth.

I have minor problems with Karla's voice on her (she's often needlessly stand-off-ish and weirdly mean even without the black suit) but these things only make the contrast with Spidey even more apparent rather than the opposite.
    You said it better than I ever could. Though I'm surprised you find Jess being standoffish as needless - I've always interpreted her that way from the start, regardless of who is writing her. Jess may be a super hero, but she is definitely not warm, especially with those who aren't closest to her. Jess being warm with anyone (again, with the exception of those closest to her) I think would be more out of character to me.
    Last edited by Seren; 07-28-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah.I think she's not that similar to Spidey(she is much more now than before and that sucks) she's just..... generic

I read the comic for the action and art which is great, her character which I once loved has lost all her spark.
    I still read the plot and the dialogue but I don't feel anything, I hope every issue that changes but it doesn't.
    So I'm fine with action-oriented, heck I don't mind if that's all it is.

Extraordinary Member

It's not that she was quiet, it's her sense of humor that's more like Spidey now.It's about the style and quality, not the quantity.

Yeah, she was always a bit cold with those she wasn't close to but now she's just weird.She seems way too nice with some of her friends(nothing like the Jess I used to read) and sometimes very aggressive.It's just off

You said it better than I ever could. Though I'm surprised you find Jess being standoffish as needless - I've always interpreted her that way from the start, regardless of who is writing her. Jess may be a super hero, but she is definitely not warm, especially with those who aren't closest to her. Jess being warm with anyone (again, with the exception of those closest to her) I think would be more out of character to me.
    She was never what I'd describe as a "wholesome" character despite some occasional adorKable moments of course and she's definitely got a shorter fuse than say Carol or Natasha but she usually seemed to be fun to be around and under Karla I am kind of wondering how she keeps any friends at all at times if that makes sense.

Sure between black suits and now single mom adventuring there wasn't much there to actually get into that but here is hoping the recent addition to the cast will provide such opportunities.

Or to put it simpler: You know that panel (I don't actually remember where it comes from) where Jess got-your-nose'es Pete through the mask?
    Right now I get the feeling she's more likely to break it instead because she had a feeling he looked at her wrong under that mask xD

I'm a exaggerating of course but you get the idea.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

She was never what I'd describe as a "wholesome" character despite some occasional adorKable moments of course and she's definitely got a shorter fuse than say Carol or Natasha but she usually seemed to be fun to be around and under Karla I am kind of wondering how she keeps any friends at all at times if that makes sense.

Sure between black suits and now single mom adventuring there wasn't much there to actually get into that but here is hoping the recent addition to the cast will provide such opportunities.

Or to put it simpler: You know that panel (I don't actually remember where it comes from) where Jess got-your-nose'es Pete through the mask?
    Right now I get the feeling she's more likely to break it instead because she had a feeling he looked at her wrong under that mask xD

I'm a exaggerating of course but you get the idea.
    Yeah this is kinda what I mean.
    But her type of humor has gone more much more Spidey.

And is this https://twitter.com/Spiderwomanx/sta...442945/photo/1
    What you mean.

If not please everyone lets find this panel

Astonishing Member

When did Jess become the personification of sass?! That's a Jessica Jones trait that was added to Jessica Drew. It certainly wasn't a characteristic of the character in the original Spider-Woman series.

When did Jess become the personification of sass?! That's a Jessica Jones trait that was added to Jessica Drew. It certainly wasn't a characteristic of the character in the original Spider-Woman series.
    You know I'm currently reading the original series and Jess absolutely has some moments of sass. And if she's become a bit sassier since then I'm ok with it. Especially considering that there over 2 decades since that original run and when Bendis brought her back. Far more people are going to be familiar with the most recent versions of Jess than the original version. And if it wasn't for Bendis making Jess popular again, we wouldn't have a solo series now. Pacheco is also getting a 4th arc. So something is being done right and people are digging it.

It was present in the 90ies when she was mentoring what's her face. I have never actually read the 70ies comic so I'll take Seren's word for it.

As for Jones: Given that she's at least partially based off of Drew I'd say the question whether the latters sass under Bendis is a an evolution of what's already been present or an adaptation from the other Jess is if anything a chicken/egg situation.

Besides Jones always struck me as much more cynical rather than sassy.

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, it was a later addition in comparison.
    It works imo, but it's not as rooted as some make it out to be.She is definitely not the personification of Sass by any means.

Extraordinary Member

You know I'm currently reading the original series and Jess absolutely has some moments of sass. And if she's become a bit sassier since then I'm ok with it. Especially considering that there over 2 decades since that original run and when Bendis brought her back. Far more people are going to be familiar with the most recent versions of Jess than the original version. And if it wasn't for Bendis making Jess popular again, we wouldn't have a solo series now. Pacheco is also getting a 4th arc. So something is being done right and people are digging it.
    Moments don't really mean personification.It wasn't a defining trait.

And I do agree it's nice she has a solo but it's selling horribly.Like below 100 bad, I don't know what they are "doing right" but it's not a good or decent sales wise, it's downright horrible which is a shame because the book is good(The plot is meh, characterization is okay but the art and action is great).