Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Out of curiosity, are you an employee at Marvel?
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Nope.

but she thinks she owns the thread. Criticism of Jess' costume or Karla's script are forbidden.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 03-31-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Hey, I'm just directing people where to complain bc feedback to the company helps?

Also, asking if Roger's ex knows he's alive is a legitimate question. Does she? Or did Roger just let them think he's dead? It really was never addressed as far as I can tell.

I love Jess being a mom and I want to see more of Gerry. I'm just pointing out what Marvel wanted for the book based on interviews I've heard. If you don't like it let Marvel know? Bc how else can you get change?

Enough people complained so now Jess is going back to her classic suit so... Clearly writing in helps.

Also I enjoy reading the letters pages so. Ya know. But no, I am not a Marvel employee. Just .. writing in does work even if you don't get a response.

And Lastly, if your problem with the art is that Jess isn't being drawn as a sexy pinup model in every single panel, as some have complained here, then The problem is not the artist imo
    Last edited by Seren; 03-31-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Does Rogers ex wife and daughter even know he's alive or do they still think he's dead? It was never addressed. Last we saw, Jess told them he was dead.

I don't like Roger at all. Yeah he's a good dude but I feel like he's only with Jess bc no one knew what else to do with him and Jess needs someone to watch the kid. It was the biggest disappointment of the whole Hallum run for me. I'd rather Jess had stayed single than be with anyone at all.

As far as Gerry is concerned, I'd like to see more of him yes. But I don't want a constant day in the life of Spider-Woman that Gerry this and Gerry that She's a superhero who can still go one superhero adventures.

And again, please remember what Marvel wanted for the character...a lot of action. So, I think that's what we're going to continue to get. If Karla wasn't delivering what Marvel wanted we wouldn't be getting a third arc.

As always, if you're frustrated with the direction the book is going write Marvel and tell them that. I assure you they read every email whether it's marked ok to print or not. mheroes@marvel.com and SpideyOffice@Marvel.com
    What Marvel wants is sales. How is the book doing sales wise anyways? I haven’t looked at comichron in awhile because of Covid. Not sure if they are even posting accurate numbers anymore. It would be nice to see a little more of Roger and Gerry. Ben Urich as well. Supporting characters go a long way in rounding out a character. More Carol too. A little sales boost from her appearing every now and then.

Jess is starting to look like a bad mother. I didn’t want to say it. Roger can easily be written out. Gerry on the other hand can not be. A nanny would just look cold. Plus a nanny would have to deal with Gerry’s powers. Tough situation for a writer to be in. Good writers work around it. Roger will eventually be cast aside and put on a shelf for ten years. A waste of what Dennis did for the character.

Hopefully the next arc shows Jess in less of a dark situation. With her original costume back I see Karla going in a different direction. I read every issue that Hopeless wrote. There was a lot of action. Maybe the editors need to start reading the books too!

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you an employee at Marvel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Nope. but she thinks she owns the thread. Criticism of Jess' costume or Karla's script are forbidden.
    No, but she *is* the manager of "Spider-Woman Daily," co-hosts a Spider-Woman podcast, and is the originator of this entire thread, so I figure she has a bit of insight and wisdom to impart on issues pertaining to Jessica Drew. I actually registered to reply to this thread to kind of rally to her defense a bit here and to offer support of the commentary.

She's correct, all feedback SHOULD be directed to "mheroes@marvel.com" becasue they read it. All of it. If you mark it OK TO PRINT they may even put it in a letter column. I'm published in both letter columns for Spider-Woman and Captain Marvel. If there's something you fundamentally want to share with the creative team, it goes *right* to Marvel editorial. They may not act on it, but they'll see it, and I think hearing from fans matters. We're the ones buying the product, after all.

Opinions exhibited about her outfits, for example, were heard loud and clear. Not only has she returned somewhat to her original, she tends to wear all of them now depending on circumstance and purpose (oftentimes as a blend, where she wore her jacket over her OG suit in Strikeforce).

Anyway, this is a great thread full of insightful people, and I just didn't want to de-value a lot of the discussion Seren brings to the table because she happens to be a vested expert on the subject.
    Last edited by TheCarolCollector; 03-31-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    What Marvel wants is sales. How is the book doing sales wise anyways? I haven’t looked at comichron in awhile because of Covid. Not sure if they are even posting accurate numbers anymore. It would be nice to see a little more of Roger and Gerry. Ben Urich as well. Supporting characters go a long way in rounding out a character. More Carol too. A little sales boost from her appearing every now and then.

Jess is starting to look like a bad mother. I didn’t want to say it. Roger can easily be written out. Gerry on the other hand can not be. A nanny would just look cold. Plus a nanny would have to deal with Gerry’s powers. Tough situation for a writer to be in. Good writers work around it. Roger will eventually be cast aside and put on a shelf for ten years. A waste of what Dennis did for the character.

Hopefully the next arc shows Jess in less of a dark situation. With her original costume back I see Karla going in a different direction. I read every issue that Hopeless wrote. There was a lot of action. Maybe the editors need to start reading the books too!
    From talking to my Diamond distribution contacts and my LCS, Spider-Woman is quietly one of the more popular books for the Marvel regular release schedule. It's not breaking records, but it's actually punching above it's weight, historically, for a Spider-Woman serial.

I think a return to familial and inter-personal plots will definitely help round out the constant action, though I think the latter will be ever-present as they want this series to thematically be an homage to the original aesthetic of action and intrigue interspersed with her private life. Time will tell. Karla is very much a slow-burn writer as evidenced by the "woah it was 3 arcs already" sentimentality evidenced here that I actually echo myself, but so far I've been enjoying the payoff.

Jess' motherhood record is looking spotty. She may love her family to death, but elements of this should be addressed if we're to keep up our belief that this is an aspect of who she is going forward. I suspect we will.

And yeah, we can have action and intrigue without things being so bleak. It would be a welcome change of pace.

Carolcollector that is good to hear!

Chomicron isn't really up to date to get any sort of sales number. Last I checked they're just posting advance reorders.

I'm going to disagree that Jess is being a bad mom considering the current story, the desperate situation she was in and trying not to die. I think we'll have a better gauge going into the next arc.

I would like to see more if Ben Urich yes. I did enjoy his and Jess' interactions. I will also say that my other complaint about the Hallum run is that Jessica's supporting cast was primarily male outside of Carol (who I would love to see more of as well.). I think adding a few more ladies to the mix would be good (which, it look like we will be getting at least one In The upcoming arc. How long she'll stay or when she pops up I don't know).
    Last edited by Seren; 03-31-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarolCollector View Post
    No, but she *is* the manager of "Spider-Woman Daily," co-hosts a Spider-Woman podcast
    *Who cares*?

Anyway, I'm out of this little club.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 03-31-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Also, asking if Roger's ex knows he's alive is a legitimate question. Does she? Or did Roger just let them think he's dead? It really was never addressed as far as I can tell.
    This is a good question...but IIRC (and I may be wrong) the storyline where he faked his death ended and there was one other issue of that volume and then there was time for this new series to start.

Yes they need to confirm he told his ex-wife and daughter he is still alive. And they need to deal once and for all with the Hobgoblin issue for Roger. Can't have that guy keep coming back and trying to shwack Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    This is a good question...but IIRC (and I may be wrong) the storyline where he faked his death ended and there was one other issue of that volume and then there was time for this new series to start.

Yes they need to confirm he told his ex-wife and daughter he is still alive. And they need to deal once and for all with the Hobgoblin issue for Roger. Can't have that guy keep coming back and trying to shwack Roger.
    Right here is a potential arc. Maybe Roger can deal with him without Jess. Two story arcs in one book would be kind of cool. Give Roger something. He’s been baby sitting and taking care of things. Give him to Spencer. He loves all these D listers and does a great job with these characters. Look at Boomerang. He’s almost co starring in the pages of Spider-Man. Roger was supposed to appear in his Ant-Man’s last run but never did. He was on the cover of Ant-Man #1 but never appeared. I suspect Dennis didn’t want to let Spencer have him.

Extraordinary Member

Right here is a potential arc. Maybe Roger can deal with him without Jess. Two story arcs in one book would be kind of cool. Give Roger something. He’s been baby sitting and taking care of things. Give him to Spencer. He loves all these D listers and does a great job with these characters. Look at Boomerang. He’s almost co starring in the pages of Spider-Man. Roger was supposed to appear in his Ant-Man’s last run but never did. He was on the cover of Ant-Man #1 but never appeared. I suspect Dennis didn’t want to let Spencer have him.
    I enjoyed Superior Foes and the Ant Man series...but would prefer a more serious take on Roger's growth. Ex-con, divorced and father trying to make good and be someone his daughter can look up to needs a little more of a serious tone. I think it worked in Ant Man because Scott has been doing it longer and Cassie is a teen.

I enjoyed Superior Foes and the Ant Man series...but would prefer a more serious take on Roger's growth. Ex-con, divorced and father trying to make good and be someone his daughter can look up to needs a little more of a serious tone. I think it worked in Ant Man because Scott has been doing it longer and Cassie is a teen.
    I would to but who really wants to write him? If Karla has any plans for Roger it isn’t showing. Roger would make a great Thunderbolt. Hopeless did such a great job with his characterization I would hate seeing it go to waste. I thought we would have seen more of Gerry and Roger by now.

Extraordinary Member

I would to but who really wants to write him? If Karla has any plans for Roger it isn’t showing. Roger would make a great Thunderbolt. Hopeless did such a great job with his characterization I would hate seeing it go to waste. I thought we would have seen more of Gerry and Roger by now.
    Gerry and Roger had to go away due to rage virus....but not that that is done I would like to see them. And I don't need a 6 issue arc of Jess being domestic with her baby and boyfriend. But acknowledge they have a relationship. Kind of like that beach day when Roger wound up fighting Sandman. End an arc with Jess coming home to them and start the next one stating it has been a couple weeks of quiet between issues.

As far as action...Roger definitely does have some opportunities for that with his past and life. A source for info from old contacts, back up if Jess needs it, maybe even a solo adventure or two to help develop him some more.

But that is up to Karla...might just be my own opinion nut as a character in her book she has a responsibility to do something with him.

Gerry and Roger had to go away due to rage virus....but not that that is done I would like to see them. And I don't need a 6 issue arc of Jess being domestic with her baby and boyfriend. But acknowledge they have a relationship. Kind of like that beach day when Roger wound up fighting Sandman. End an arc with Jess coming home to them and start the next one stating it has been a couple weeks of quiet between issues.

As far as action...Roger definitely does have some opportunities for that with his past and life. A source for info from old contacts, back up if Jess needs it, maybe even a solo adventure or two to help develop him some more.

But that is up to Karla...might just be my own opinion nut as a character in her book she has a responsibility to do something with him.
    The beach seen was awesome! Roger took on the Sandman and kicked his ass. Fruits of the training Jess gave him. I don’t want to see an arc of domestic bliss either. That can be done in a few panels. Just acknowledged. Like the beach scene. A nice little moment of relaxation that goes south the very next panel.

I want to see Roger suited up as the Porcupine fighting along side of Jess every now and then. Like when they took on Hobgoblin. You are right though. Karla can do whatever she wants. Nothing wrong with new villains coming down the road.

Missed out on some drama, huh?
    Anyway as much as have my own issues with the current run as it stands I actually think it being a straight-up in your face superhero adventure is a good thing.
    I also liked the hopeless run a lot but a larger variety in styles and genres is "healthy" for any character.

I usually get annoyed when a heroes solos rinse and repeat the popular stuff that came before.
    Some of my favourite characters (Natasha and Clint respectively) got stuck in something like that for way too long (until recently at least) and I don't need Jess to follow that example.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter