Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152535455 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    When they did that story it was not that she wanted a kid...until she had a pregnancy scare after a relationship with some unseen rando and when the pregnancy test was negative she was disappointed...and after some time was still disappointed and decided to go to a sperm bank.

So...technically no...there was no history of her wanting to be a mom. But I think it was handled well with having her realize she did want to.
    Wait so they built it all on, a pregnancy scare from a relationship/hook up we don't even get to see?
    And they thought instead of 1)having her adopt a kid(maybe one who was lost same as her and her parents used her/didn't care for her) and/or build and explore an actual relationship w/ someone who she wants to have a kid w/ she should do the bank thing?

BRUH

Also wasn't this the pregnancy where she was fighting skrulls in space while she was pregnant?

On a side note, I think the convo was in Spider-woman 5 and the one good thing was that it showed that people change/grow and decisions taken by us on younger age can change.
    That's why marrying when barely legal is something not advised because you barely know yourself at that point.
    Also on twitter recently read an entire thread on getting ones tubes tied/cut and a lot of people aged 21-22 were saying they wanted to get the procedure and others were saying such a decision at younger age is harmful since you don't know what you want, then they countered w/ it's their body/life and they know and being at risk of pregnancy is also dangerous to which people said use protection and you may change your mind to which others said we'll adopt, etc. and on and on.

I do wonder what people here feel about that? it's a engaging discussion

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Wait so they built it all on, a pregnancy scare from a relationship/hook up we don't even get to see?
    And they thought instead of 1)having her adopt a kid(maybe one who was lost same as her and her parents used her/didn't care for her) and/or build and explore an actual relationship w/ someone who she wants to have a kid w/ she should do the bank thing?

BRUH

Also wasn't this the pregnancy where she was fighting skrulls in space while she was pregnant?

On a side note, I think the convo was in Spider-woman 5 and the one good thing was that it showed that people change/grow and decisions taken by us on younger age can change.
    That's why marrying when barely legal is something not advised because you barely know yourself at that point.
    Also on twitter recently read an entire thread on getting ones tubes tied/cut and a lot of people aged 21-22 were saying they wanted to get the procedure and others were saying such a decision at younger age is harmful since you don't know what you want, then they countered w/ it's their body/life and they know and being at risk of pregnancy is also dangerous to which people said use protection and you may change your mind to which others said we'll adopt, etc. and on and on.

I do wonder what people here feel about that? it's a engaging discussion
    I think it works better with her deciding to have a kid as opposed to adopt...with adopt some writer can come along and have a birth father show up and say "I didn't know about the kid because the mom never told me" and take the kid away.

I agree with the side saying "don't commit to things like this when young because you may change your mind and not be able to undo it."

Ultimate Member

Does a person actually think they want to have a kid after a false pregnancy scare?

I mean if you really want to get technical, they just brought Gerry Drew over from the MC2 universe after Secret Wars.

And you never know what can make a woman want a kid. In the book, even Jess sounded surprised at herself when she explained it to Carol. And even then she took months and months to decide if that's what she really wanted before making the leap. I'm really glad they did it the way they did rather than it being a one night stand or something. As far as pregnancy arcs go, Jessica's was one of the best ones.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I mean if you really want to get technical, they just brought Gerry Drew over from the MC2 universe after Secret Wars.

And you never know what can make a woman want a kid. In the book, even Jess sounded surprised at herself when she explained it to Carol. And even then she took months and months to decide if that's what she really wanted before making the leap. I'm really glad they did it the way they did rather than it being a one night stand or something. As far as pregnancy arcs go, Jessica's was one of the best ones.
    I'm just wondering if the writer (I think it was Dennis Hallum) actually did any research about that. As in, did he ask women if that's a thing

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I'm just wondering if the writer (I think it was Dennis Hallum) actually did any research about that. As in, did he ask women if that's a thing
    If I recall correctly, he had just had twins with his wife and a lot of that arc was based off her experience.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

It was Hallum, yes, though he was calling himself Dennis Hopeless at the time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I think it works better with her deciding to have a kid as opposed to adopt...with adopt some writer can come along and have a birth father show up and say "I didn't know about the kid because the mom never told me" and take the kid away.

I agree with the side saying "don't commit to things like this when young because you may change your mind and not be able to undo it."
    I was thinking they will have her birth parents be in the arc, not to mention we still don't know who the "father" is in 616.Some writer will one day do something w/ that as well

Same

Respectfully massive disagree, If I'm not mistaken all the months of thinking,etc. were mentioned in dialogue and never shown(it's made even worse because she wasn't comfortable around kids before this and understandably so, a one liner doesn't cut it when there's so much character growth behind it).And from what we did see of her pregnancy she was fighting Skrulls on a space station.

Comic pregnancies such as Steph's(Batgirl) was one of the best pregnant arcs to date, beautifully written.PeterMJ's pregnancy was another beautifully written one.Then you have Invincible's Mark and Atom Eve abortion and then another pregnancy.Jessica Jones and Luke cage and Siryn and Madrox are others.All of these are far superior to Jess's IMO.

Jessica would be better in the regard she kept her kid and he's alive, and thus her stories/interactions w/ said child.But her actual pregnancy arc is one of the weakest written.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-30-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I was thinking they will have her birth parents be in the arc, not to mention we still don't know who the "father" is in 616.Some writer will one day do something w/ that as well

Same

Respectfully massive disagree, If I'm not mistaken all the months of thinking,etc. were mentioned in dialogue and never shown.And from what we did see of her pregnancy she was fighting Skrulls on a space station.

Comic pregnancies such as Steph's(Batgirl) was one of the best pregnant arcs to date, beautifully written.PeterMJ's pregnancy was another beautifully written one.Then you have Invincible's Mark and Atom Eve abortion and then another pregnancy.Jessica Jones and Luke cage and Siryn and Madrox are others.All of these are far superior to Jess's IMO.

Jessica would be better in the regard she kept her kid and he's alive, and thus her stories/interactions w/ said child.But her actual pregnancy arc is one of the weakest written.
    To each their own. I"m coming from a perspective of a woman who wants to be a mother but doesn't get a man involved - no drunken one night stands or baby daddy drama. There are single women who want to become mothers and get pregnant via artificial insemination. It's a thing. And I am glad that Jess went that way. Was it a bummer we didn't get to see the whole pregnancy played out - yeah it was. But, despite that, I really thought the arc was very well done.

I'll be honest, when I heard Jess was pregnant after Secret Wars I was pretty pissed about it and could only think of the ways it could be terribly done like so many others before. But, I enjoyed Hallums New Duds so much that I decided to give it a shot. Glad I did.

Extraordinary Member

To each their own. I"m coming from a perspective of a woman who wants to be a mother but doesn't get a man involved - no drunken one night stands or baby daddy drama. There are single women who want to become mothers and get pregnant via artificial insemination. It's a thing. And I am glad that Jess went that way. Was it a bummer we didn't get to see the whole pregnancy played out - yeah it was. But, despite that, I really thought the arc was very well done.

I'll be honest, when I heard Jess was pregnant after Secret Wars I was pretty pissed about it and could only think of the ways it could be terribly done like so many others before. But, I enjoyed Hallums New Duds so much that I decided to give it a shot. Glad I did.
    Yeah, that helps me get your POV better but still writing wise this wasn't near any of the other ones.Other ones had heart in a way this doesn't, not that the story tries to have any in the fist place.

As for the single mom thing w/ no man, I'd agree except they skip on all the important part.We never see her growth from being uncomfortable around kids to being disappointed on the test to her inner turmoil all those months and finally going for it.It's all told to us in a panel.So if they were going for the strong single women wanting a kid they messed up, not because I didn't like the execution of it.Because it never happened, we don't see what would have made the story compelling in the first place.

And the thing w/ having a partner is that it make the story so much better, the shared bond b/w the 2 and both of their reactions to the kid has a lot more substance than the Jess plot, not that it matter since what substance it may have had isn't even showed to us in the first place.

Also for the real life thing other pregnancies deal w/ similar problems in vastly better ways:-

1)Jessica Jones is your classic pregnancy surprise

2)PeterMJ and Siryn Madrox are stories about loosing your child at birth

3)Mark and Eve are about Abortion and second chances

4)Steph's and Catwoman's are about giving up your kid for adoption because of circumstances

So while Jess's pregnancy is dealing w/ a real world issue so are the rest of them and using that as a reason for it being written(or not written) the way it was doesn't work.Because while they all deal w/ severe real world problems Jess's skips on the actual problems it's claiming to address for shananigans

Ofc this is all just my opinion and everyone taste's differ in stories

Extraordinary Member

I agree with you about it not being something that happened with a one night stand and actually a conscious decision to have a kid.

About your other comment about not liking Jess and Roger and they were not believable...My feelings on that are that Karla didn't put in the effort to make them so. Hallum pretty much put them together at the end of his run and Karla shipped Roger and Gerry off for a dozen issues so that Jess could deal with her brother induced issues instead of making them not just believable but also interesting.

I'm not...I still consider it a really stupid decision. Not as bad as OMD but still bad. But it fits in with how writers taking over a character act. Get rid of supporting characters they don't like instead of working with them and developing them more.

I do want him back but I doubt Karla will do that...much less in any meaningful way that does him justice.
    Roger was well developed already. He was a D-list villain that Hallum turned into a hero and made the guy very like able. Great characterization on Hallum’s part. Good writers can make anyone like able if they write them well. I have no problem with him not being in a romance with Jess. He’s to good for her anyways. It cost him being in the book. Now Jess has another glorified babysitter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Roger was well developed already. He was a D-list villain that Hallum turned into a hero and made the guy very like able. Great characterization on Hallum’s part. Good writers can make anyone like able if they write them well. I have no problem with him not being in a romance with Jess. He’s to good for her anyways. It cost him being in the book. Now Jess has another glorified babysitter.
    I just have a little bit of a romantic in me...I want to see couples last. And I think there was a lot or room for Roger to grow more and have to deal with getting out from under Hobgoblin permanently.

As well as real world issues like mixed/extended families. Making Roger and his Ex Olivia have a more amicable relationship. And how would Kalie and Roger feel about each other over time...would they consider themselves siblings?
    Last edited by Chris0013; 10-31-2021 at 03:48 PM.

I just have a little bit of a romantic in me...I want to see couples last. And I think there was a lot or room for Roger to grow more and have to deal with getting out from under Hobgoblin permanently.

As well as real world issues like mixed/extended families. Making Roger and his Ex Olivia have a more amicable relationship. And how would Kalie and Roger feel about each other over time...would they consider themselves siblings?
    All that would have been great but apparently Marvel and DC don’t want that anymore. The beach scene in the previous run with Roger and his daughter hanging with Jess and Gerry was pretty cool.

Extraordinary Member

Lindsay looks hideous on the cover...looks 'roided out and her face looks fugly.