Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Jess tells Roger that he can't help as a normal person...but her handicapped, under-aged niece is perfectly fine to go into danger.

And with regards to Rebecca..."I don't need to be fixed" proceeds to put on exoskeleton that allows her full mobility.

I think both send mixed messages.

Oh...and they armed the dog.

Honestly, I just didn't see it with Jess and Roger. Lindsay has more fire imo and is a better supporting character who stands along side of Jess than Roger even was.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Rebecca doesn't have powers and is a disabled hero, which I think is important. Seems like her suit helps aid in her mobility more. I'm really excited to see what Karla has planned for her.

Also, Rebecca stated like a year has passed since issue #1 so she is 17 now.
    It certainly is, what is her disability again?I can't remember, way too much on my mind.Also does her suit take away her disability?Kinda backwards if it does.
    Bets approach to a disability was Oracle, the implant they have on her kinda takes away that factor.

Wow, that's very fast for the MU sliding timescale

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It certainly is, what is her disability again?I can't remember, way too much on my mind.Also does her suit take away her disability?Kinda backwards if it does.
    Bets approach to a disability was Oracle, the implant they have on her kinda takes away that factor.

If you look at the last page she has braces that support her back and legs. It doesn't take away her disability but it does seem to offer her more support. Her disability is that she has the same sickness Jess had as a kid, but she didn't get the powers or the effects of Johnathan Drews experiments that Jess did.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Ah yes, another young genius as well.So original, she does seem like a good character so that's good.

So we had Mattie, Anya, Gwen, Cindy, and now Rebecca and Madame Web, Julia, Jessica all Spider-girls/women in 616.Add Mayday and Annie and we are in double digits.Bruh.I think we have more Spider-girls than Batgirls now.
    Spider-fam was absurd as is, a Spider-girl fam is just....

Atleast Jessica isn't the one being ignored, she's one of the best ones.
    Kind of sends the message that Spider-Woman isn't taken seriously. "You want another Spider-themed woman hero? Sure, why not! Nothing matters."
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I just didn't see it with Jess and Roger. Lindsay has more fire imo and is a better supporting character who stands along side of Jess than Roger even was.
    But why does her supporting cast have to be one or the other? Why can't she have her best friend Lindsay and her boyfriend Roger? Also...Hallum did great showing Roger as a character as more than just in relation to Jess. Karla basically kept him around for the as long as she did just to pawn Gerry off on someone so Jess could deal with her medical issues. Supporting characters should be shown with their own lives.

I am not sure if it is editors or writers...but Marvel seems to not want to 'miracle' away disabilities. There was a big brouhaha in the X-Men forum about Karma going thru resurrection and still having her bionic leg as opposed to getting her natural leg back.

I'm just sitting over here happy that the door is a smidgen more open to Jess being canonically bi.
    Haha, I read that part and immediately thought of you.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

If you look at the last page she has braces that support her back and legs. It doesn't take away her disability but it does seem to offer her more support. Her disability is that she has the same sickness Jess had as a kid, but she didn't get the powers or the effects of Johnathan Drews experiments that Jess did.
    It does though, again if it's something that's uncomfortable and can't be used all the time and noticeable then sure.
    Also what physical effects did that have on her?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Kind of sends the message that Spider-Woman isn't taken seriously. "You want another Spider-themed woman hero? Sure, why not! Nothing matters."
    Facts, like we have so many.Use them, it seems like they just want to make a new one every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    But why does her supporting cast have to be one or the other? Why can't she have her best friend Lindsay and her boyfriend Roger? Also...Hallum did great showing Roger as a character as more than just in relation to Jess. Karla basically kept him around for the as long as she did just to pawn Gerry off on someone so Jess could deal with her medical issues. Supporting characters should be shown with their own lives.

I am not sure if it is editors or writers...but Marvel seems to not want to 'miracle' away disabilities. There was a big brouhaha in the X-Men forum about Karma going thru resurrection and still having her bionic leg as opposed to getting her natural leg back.
    Roger is a great character.Also people complain about how we always have the female who's the non powered love interest, Roger is the perfect opposite to that.People like Carol have Rhodey, Strange, etc. Widow has Clint and Bucky, etc.

Yeah, but you can't do away w/ a disability using tech and say it's representation.Tech can help, but if it takes away the problem it's not representing it a.k.a. Barbara.

As for karma, I get why they did it but it makes no sense in universe.Did they cut her leg off to put the bionic one in place?

It does though, again if it's something that's uncomfortable and can't be used all the time and noticeable then sure.

Facts, like we have so many.Use them, it seems like they just want to make a new one every time.

Roger is a great character.Also people complain about how we always have the female who's the non powered love interest, Roger is the perfect opposite to that.People like Carol have Rhodey, Strange, etc. Widow has Clint and Bucky, etc.

Yeah, but you can't do away w/ a disability using tech and say it's representation.Tech can help, but if it takes away the problem it's not representing it a.k.a. Barbara.

As for karma, I get why they did it but it makes no sense in universe.Did they cut her leg off to put the bionic one in place?
    Ok but you can totally see the effect the illness has had on her from day one. She needs braces and a cane in order to walk. She needs a wheelchair for other activities. Her disability it pretty obvious. Its also implied that there are other ailments too, but it hasn't elaborated on what those are.

Extraordinary Member

Ah yes, another young genius as well.So original, she does seem like a good character so that's good.

So we had Mattie, Anya, Gwen, Cindy, and now Rebecca and Madame Web, Julia, Jessica all Spider-girls/women in 616.Add Mayday and Annie and we are in double digits.Bruh.I think we have more Spider-girls than Batgirls now.
    Spider-fam was absurd as is, a Spider-girl fam is just....

Atleast Jessica isn't the one being ignored, she's one of the best ones.
    Ha!

Should Mattie continue being dead or should she return deadlier, a là Winter Soldier or Jason Todd Red Hood?

Jess tells Roger that he can't help as a normal person...but her handicapped, under-aged niece is perfectly fine to go into danger.

And with regards to Rebecca..."I don't need to be fixed" proceeds to put on exoskeleton that allows her full mobility.

I think both send mixed messages.

Oh...and they armed the dog.
    Exactly! Double standard here. Roger is far more formidable than Rebecca. Now Jess has a sidekick and super dog. Roger could have defended Gerry far better than Lindsay did. Jess having a team could include some male figures.

Dennis did a great job with Roger and his whole run. Roger was an absolute nobody. Now he’s getting talked about in forums. Hallum’s run is so underrated.

Roger is a great character. Karla should bring him back. Let Lindsay be the babysitter now and Roger can join the team. Fair is fair!

Extraordinary Member

Ok but you can totally see the effect the illness has had on her from day one. She needs braces and a cane in order to walk. She needs a wheelchair for other activities. Her disability it pretty obvious. Its also implied that there are other ailments too, but it hasn't elaborated on what those are.
    Yeah, I agree it has has an effect on her so far.My point was that if they make it so that the suit just fixes all that it's kinda moot, not just for combat but for her home life.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Ha!

Should Mattie continue being dead or should she return deadlier, a là Winter Soldier or Jason Todd Red Hood?
    I have a special spot for Mattie, just drop the kiss w/Peter and they both make a solid team.If they bring her back it's gotta be Peter Mattie focus though, they brought her back in clone conspiracy IIRC and Anya buried her ashes and Peter didn't even interact w/ her.That was disappointing af.
    Mattie w/Peter is a big yes for me.Her character was perfect in that it wasn't a sidekick like Robin but not a legacy like Miles.It treaded that line beautifully.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, I agree it has has an effect on her so far.My point was that if they make it so that the suit just fixes all that it's kinda moot, not just for combat but for her home life.

I have a special spot for Mattie, just drop the kiss w/Peter and they both make a solid team.If they bring her back it's gotta be Peter Mattie focus though, they brought her back in clone conspiracy IIRC and Anya buried her ashes and Peter didn't even interact w/ her.That was disappointing af.
    Mattie w/Peter is a big yes for me.Her character was perfect in that it wasn't a sidekick like Robin but not a legacy like Miles.It treaded that line beautifully.
    Yeah, she only appeared in Silk's tie-in issues, and it was Cindy/Silk who buried her ashes at the end. Sadly, Anya wasn't present for Clone Conspiracy, but I do like the idea of Mattie returning as a Red Hood-style anti-hero. Of course, that would fly in the face of her telling Cassandra Webb to tell Peter that she didn't blame him or anyone else for her impending death in Grim Hunt, but if Clone Conspiracy could retcon that Gwen was just conscious enough to hear Green Goblin call Spider-Man by his real name, thus making the man she loved the same as the man she hated and blamed for her father's death . . .

All that being said, I'm of the opinion that a good supporting cast should expand and not necessarily contract, so I see no reason Jessica can't have both Roger/Porcupine and Lindsay McCabe in her life. Having Rebecca in the mix as a technologically enhanced/supplemented Spider-Person is an interesting twist, though it slightly reminds me of Oliver Osnick, Doctor Octopus fanboy turned Spider-Man fanboy turned tech-enhanced vigilante calling himself Steel Spider. Maybe they should meet up at some point. However, I am wondering if Rebecca's gonna come up with a superhero name for herself, or borrow one that's not being used at the moment . . . like Arachne?
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 09-17-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I thought Casandra Webb was dead and that was why Julia is now Madame Webb?

I thought Casandra Webb was dead and that was why Julia is now Madame Webb?
    She is though she was brought back in Clone Conspiracy as well in the Prowler solo. She didn’t stay alive though and chose to die again by not taking the pills that prevented clone degeneration.